The Dark Mod Forums

Winter is coming....

Bikerdude

I played one of the Penumbra games a while back--Penumbra Black Plague I think it was. Cool, but disjointed. That thing with the "hive mind" and the tasks given to you, felt out of place, somehow. But again the atmosphere was great, I'm also partial to Arctic suspense.

Is the Overture worth a try?

It's worth a try if you want to feel more isolation-based horror and have a better idea of the story before playing Black Plague. Overture had some unique features that Black Plague lacks, since the devs firmly shifted the focus towards stealth. It also has slightly less polish than Black Plague, but that's to be expected. It's still a nice-looking game, though obviously dated due to ten years of advancements and it being the commercial debut of the studio. One or two puzzles along the way are a bit tough to figure out at first glance, but they're both easily solvable if you pay attention. The story is almost as dark as Black Plague, but there's a sense of easing you into the horror adventure as the story develops.

• Like 1

It's worth a try if you want to feel more isolation-based horror and have a better idea of the story before playing Black Plague. Overture had some unique features that Black Plague lacks, since the devs firmly shifted the focus towards stealth. It also has slightly less polish than Black Plague, but that's to be expected. It's still a nice-looking game, though obviously dated due to ten years of advancements and it being the commercial debut of the studio. One or two puzzles along the way are a bit tough to figure out at first glance, but they're both easily solvable if you pay attention. The story is almost as dark as Black Plague, but there's a sense of easing you into the horror adventure as the story develops.

The hole digging machine in Overtire had me furious. Puzzles are cool, but without logic they are just annoying and you have to break out of the game to look for walk through just to continue and I believe that was also a anti-climatic end as well. Watch the Angry Video Game Nerd on Castlevania 2 and the idiotic puzzles that make no sense.

4:29

4:52

When you find yourself around celestial or similar supernatural beings, then combat is out of the question, Dogs in overture were at least mortal so you could hit one of them with a hammer or similar or dynamite. I have yet to play a run and hide only game, other than Black Plague, so I cannot say if the idea is a of a more frightening type of game or not. Right now I am in Alien Isolation, basically a System Shock 2 game, but will get into a run and hide game soon.

BYW I could knock out one of those ghouls with a right hock placed square on their chins it they have one.

Edited by bobrpggamer

• 2 years later...

I am in a lowland region where milder winters often mean less or no snow.

Nevertheless, even in this year's milder than usual winter, my location had a few snowy days and weeks. Last time this Tuesday.

I might share a few photos later.

Up in the high desert of New Mexico, we've gotten a ton of snow this year. All the ski slopes opened early and everyone is panicking about there not being enough snow plows for the roads