The Dark Mod Forums

Would Trolls fit in The Dark Mod?

Kurshok

I would like the small and the big ones. Both could be underground dwellers or "alive novelty toys" kept in cages by nobility. The big ones are also good as (really dangerous) guards to be found in the most excentric upper class' mansion exteriors. The smaller ones could also be citizen of "The City". They might be mostly lower class. Some might be nimble and adept with mechanics (complicated traps and locks) and poisons.

But i don't think, big or small trolls are comming to TDM soon. Modelling and animation seem to be extremely laborous and complicated tasks...

Bikerdude already pointed out there's a creature which resembles something quite similar of what you're looking for. Check out Kingsal's Cauldron of the Gods. ;)

I haven't gotten the chance to ask my computer whiz uncle to help me install The Dark Mod. Could you give me a descrption?

At the same time, maybe we should stick to what made Thief so great; it was clearly a fantasy world, but not in the same way as other ones. There were no dwarves, elves, or orcs, just humanoid beasts and undead. There was no real hope of a gang of heroes storming the corrupt baron's mansion, slaughtering his entire guard and family, and instilling a less corrupt system. It was gritty, and dark.

I'm gonna play cheap therapist here, but do you have depression / anxiety attacks? You know that looking for contact online won't make the problems go away, right? I'm only saying this because you remind me of a person with similar symptoms and MO.

What is more important though, in case you didn't notice, people here are "doers". If you don't see a feature in TDM, you go and create it, yourself, or with others. Noone likes "talkers" much, especially with half-baked ideas.

Just remember that prolonged sessions in front of the screen don't really help with ADD.

None of us are game devs, most of us are self-taught or work in related fields for a living. Just pick something relatively simple, like making textures, and go further from there.

• Like 1

If you can figure out how to navigate a forum, you can figure out how to install TDM.

Ok. Hey, Springheel, quick question. What would the most likely punishment be if someone in Bridgeport, most likely inebriated or with nothing to lose, went into the middle of a bustling market, got up on a soapbox, and told out loud to everyone the joke about "The Aristocrats"? I mean, I know the nobles, builders, and higher up members of the watch wouldn't like it, but are the average folk of Bridgeport not only so jaded that they won't do anything to try and better their standard of living, but also stupid enough to believe the nobles and upper class are where they are because they are "better in the eyes of God"? I mean, is it cowardice or stupidity that keeps them from saying "Screw this, I'm going to sneak in with a knife and cut every one of those city watch bastards throats while they sleep!"

I mean, is it cowardice or stupidity that keeps them from saying "Screw this, I'm going to sneak in with a knife and cut every one of those city watch bastards throats while they sleep!"

Well, the guards have swords and would like to use them.

Also, there are some tiny differences between, what the player experiences and what regular people are assumed to experience:

The player hides in plain sight even, if it is not completely pitch black and a guard is standing right in front of him. Regular people would be visible.

The player can douse a torch in a second. Regular people don't have water arrows.

The player can just wait in some dimly lit spot until guards stop searching. For regular people, the guards would move chairs aside, look above and below tables and would not honor monster clip.

The player can jump from a window sill to a pipe and climb to the roof to navigate well-guarded places. Regular people would fall to their death.

The player can get a rope acting like a regular ladder up to any place exhibiting the tiniest amount of wood. Regular people don't have rope arrows.

The player can navigate air ducts and other places, that would be death traps for regular people.

The player can reload at any time and therefore does not fear death at all. Regular people would not try to go on a killing spree - especially if not well-trained in that business.

The player can knock out and kill silently. Normal people would have to deal with shouts of pain and resisting victims.

The player can remove a guard and nobody will notice. Regular people would experience guards actually searching for their comrads.

The player has absolutely no problem with killing pixels. Regular people don't like killing other people.

There is a lot more, that is somewhat different in a video game like TDM than it would be expected to be in a "real" steampunk medieval world...

And the most likely official punishment for preaching against the order that has been brought to man by the great builder himself and is not to be questioned would probably be somethin in between pillory and burning at the stake - depending on the exact words used, the mood of the judge and whether he gets convicted by the builders or a regular court. Could also get instantly beaten to death by the mob. People could be quite religious in a steampunk medieval world.

Edited by Abusimplea

Ok. Hey, Springheel, quick question. What would the most likely punishment be if someone in Bridgeport, most likely inebriated or with nothing to lose, went into the middle of a bustling market, got up on a soapbox, and told out loud to everyone the joke about "The Aristocrats"? I mean, I know the nobles, builders, and higher up members of the watch wouldn't like it, but are the average folk of Bridgeport not only so jaded that they won't do anything to try and better their standard of living, but also stupid enough to believe the nobles and upper class are where they are because they are "better in the eyes of God"? I mean, is it cowardice or stupidity that keeps them from saying "Screw this, I'm going to sneak in with a knife and cut every one of those city watch bastards throats while they sleep!"

What was the punishment in times when aristocracy was still the ruling class? When you have questions like that just look at our own past. There were times without freedom of speech for quite a long time for basically every country on earth (and even today there are some). I would say, the person speaking out would be dragged away by the guards. Not likely punished with the gallows, but the pillory is more than likely.

Maybe. Unless the underclass like a certain thief decided to free him under the paycheck of a certain gang leader.

Yep. Like the type of missions where one has to infiltrate the hornets' nest and get out with a prisoner over the shoulder. Would also enjoy knocking out some guards and seizing some shiny "evidence" and advanced equipment while i am there...