The Dark Mod Forums

Music you listen to while you make stuff

peter_spy

I didn't find similar topic, and I thought this might be interesting. I always need something playing in the background to stimulate me in some way. So, what do you listen to while mapping, modeling, coding, or any other TDM-related stuff?

I don't want to dump all my stuff on you at once, so I'll start with three albums I listen to lately. This will be mostly electronic/ambient music:

I've heard the game is average, but the OST is superb.

Another similar case, as DX:IW was a bit of a disappointment, but the OST has become a cult classic for me, and I spent many hours with it playing on repeat while I was modeling things.

And something I found just two days ago. Very classic ambient vibes, loved it instantly. And I'm pretty sure these guys know System Shock 2, I'm sure you'll hear why :)

• Like 1

T: DS soundtrack is obviously excellent, although it has a strong horror vibe, and I find it a bit too distracting to listen while modeling or texturing. It gets really tense at times ;) I've spent many hours mapping with DX:HR in the background though, another good choice. Also, we should probably post links to whole albums, as you don't want to switch tracks every 5 minutes or so while doing something.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 1

I rarely listen to music while mapping, as I find it distracting most of the time (I'm not the multi-tasking guy). But when I do I prefer ambient music as well. This one is pretty good imho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zdg-AMv8tw

TDS soundtrack: http://www.moddb.com/games/thief-deadly-shadows/downloads/thief-deadly-shadows-soundtrack

T1/T2 Soundtrack: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145018

The Thief 4 Soundtrack can actually be bought at amazon for example. Never understood why someone should pay for music he listens to when playing the game all the time :blink:

• Like 2

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Although someone's music-modelling associations are interesting I guess it will be too dependent on e.g. nostalgia to make it "useful" for others - what matter is if it make you want to work. I can listen to any kind of music - one song looped for an hour, without being bored or tired. I need a trance so my thoughts and feelings go in parallel to each other and everything that will straighten them will fit the purpose. But for the sake of subject:

Ufo:Aftershock - enjoyed both game and music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-RQfpgERZA

Oblivion - TES4 have one of the best soundtracks, but I'm talking about the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWIXUxmN1vQ

any more or less melodic electronic music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=octfeKzPLmg

Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear - I used to listen to this while reading Moomins when I was maybe 10 :D .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w8VsvJ40sM

TD - Miracle Mile. Those bits are like soundtrack to my memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doW4s-1ULOc&t

TD - Rubycon. Full submergence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmpxXq3Gx9w&t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftckgVqc04E&t

Edited by ERH+
  • Like 1

S2wtMNl.gif

Thief 2 soundtrack as compiled by Child of Karras.

I'd say the Morrowind soundtrack beats Oblivion (as in TES IV). Morrowind had the right mix ( watch?v=zaeO0zitvy0 ) of high and low energy moments, while Oblivion was a little too relaxed.

Streets of Simcity soundtrack is pretty good, divided into 4 "genres". Unfortunately they sound fuzzy due to the 22.05 kHz sampling rate:

Jazzy SimCity 3000 soundtrack:

Age of Empires 2 + Conquerors soundtrack (doesn't include some tracks from the three new expansions):

Cossacks:

I don't think I've listened to the full SpaceEngine soundtrack (nearly 4 hours long) but there you have it:

Death Grips instrumentals:

Diablo 2 (Act 3 is best):

I also suggest looking up music livestreams on YouTube. The "lofi hiphop" type ones are pretty good and won't be distracting. Plus the streams just keep on going forever.

Edited by jaxa
  • Like 1

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 3 years later...

Music is usually too distracting for me while coding. That being said, before Corona, when I still worked at the office instead of at home, I still listened to music occasionally when my colleagues were too loud. The type of music depends on my current mood, but I generally lean more towards rather unconventional music or music with incredible audio engineering.

When working on creative stuff, I like to listen to music that fits the setting I am trying to achieve. 🙂 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, STiFU said:

Music is usually too distracting for me while coding.

If I'm working from home, I either work in silence as well, or have something fairly generic and relaxing in the background, e.g. one of the chillhop playlists. For creative stuff I can actually focus with a podcast in the background, or I use something that matches the mood of what I'm doing, yeah :)

I learned that the best music is some soundtrack playlist. Ideally with timestamps. Clear, loud lyrics also carry the danger of distracting when you start singing along. Unfortunately I needed music all the time to block out undesirable sounds and focus on the task. The nr. 1 rule is that music doesn't become another thing that procrastinates work. Need to get stuff done. Get a draft with at least half the content ready as it is. Then focus on perfectionism when it's almost ready. So it can be any music. Good music does not have a genre.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

1 hour ago, Anderson said:

Clear, loud lyrics also carry the danger of distracting when you start singing along.

This is pretty much the only thing I adhere to in this context. So if it's sung music I want to listen, it better be indecipherable or in another language. Or both.

As far as the topic as a whole goes, here's a random assortment of albums I've gone to over the past few years.

Spoiler

Haven't played the game, but I discovered this while in school, specifically to have something to listen to while working. Probably the best soundtrack in the business.

I have played this one, but I didn't appreciate the OST until it became my other go-to school-time background music album of choice.

This is just a banger, could listen to it in almost any scenario. Mostly instrumental darksynth.

Dreampunk works well as a moody backdrop.

It's French, so can't tell what it's about even if there's a lot of clean singing. Post-black metal or somesuch.

English, but not exactly sing-along. Pre-post black metal, or just black metal.

That said, while working from home, I often don't listen to anything, since it's usually quiet.

1 hour ago, Anderson said:

Good music does not have a genre.

But bad music does, it's called jazz. :awesome:

Just kidding. But really, jazz does suck hard.

Edited by roygato

1 hour ago, roygato said:

This is pretty much the only thing I adhere to in this context. So if it's sung music I want to listen, it better be indecipherable or in another language. Or both.

As far as the topic as a whole goes, here's a random assortment of albums I've gone to over the past few years.

Hide contents

Haven't played the game, but I discovered this while in school, specifically to have something to listen to while working. Probably the best soundtrack in the business.

I have played this one, but I didn't appreciate the OST until it became my other go-to school-time background music album of choice.

This is just a banger, could listen to it in almost any scenario. Mostly instrumental darksynth.

Dreampunk works well as a moody backdrop.

It's French, so can't tell what it's about even if there's a lot of clean singing. Post-black metal or somesuch.

English, but not exactly sing-along. Pre-post black metal, or just black metal.

That said, while working from home, I often don't listen to anything, since it's usually quiet.

But bad music does, it's called jazz. :awesome:

Just kidding. But really, jazz does suck hard.

Depends the type of jazz, I also don't like some type of jazz (big band, free jazz and some kind of this), but jazz has a los of differnt styles and genres, it's not good to globalize it. 

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

• 1 month later...

I listen to a variety of things from Jazz Singers, to Smooth Jazz, to Classical Ochestral to my favourite performer, Stepjan Hauser (left side of 2Cellos)

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/