The Dark Mod Forums

Origins of prefab func_static parts don't rotate properly

letran

I changed an existing prefab (mirror on stand) to be a larger floor standing version. I saved it as a prefab from origin 0,0,0 and it appears fine in the prefab viewer etc.

However, when i import it into my current map and rotate it, one part rotates the origin correctly but the other two still remain oriented in the XYZ direction and don't rotate accordingly.

It means the tilting is at a crazy angle.

How can i set the correct origin rotation on the two parts and make it stick?

thank you.

post-21506-0-04025400-1513629874.jpg

You create a nodraw brush and make i a func_mover like a door or handle, then you bind the mirror two it - I think maybe the func_mover is missing from the prefab?

I originally made that prefab, and to be honest we need a batter 'mirror' material. The silver serving tray I used has a broken material, it reflects everything at the wrong angle.

What we need is -

• An actual desktop and floor standing mirror model
  • A replacement mirror texture

Another issue existing the reflection is very perf heavy, so either the mapper has to be carefull where they place it, or we come up with two textures full reflection and fake reflection.

We would need help from a modeler and a team member.

I changed an existing prefab (mirror on stand) to be a larger floor standing version. I saved it as a prefab from origin 0,0,0 and it appears fine in the prefab viewer etc.

However, when i import it into my current map and rotate it, one part rotates the origin correctly but the other two still remain oriented in the XYZ direction and don't rotate accordingly.

It means the tilting is at a crazy angle.

How can i set the correct origin rotation on the two parts and make it stick?

thank you.

attachicon.giforigin rotations.JPG

Are you using the most recent version of DR? Prefabs should be created already merged as a group, which means they should rotate together.

When things are in a group, they appear blue when you select them. It doesn't look like the entities in your screenshot are grouped.

I originally made that prefab, and to be honest we need a batter 'mirror' material.

Did you not see the mirrors and reflections in Vanished One's "In the Black"..?

They were great - especially the puddles of water.

// also the rotation origin bug in dr24 appears to have been fixed in dr25

Edited by teh_saccade

There are several buttons at the top that handle the rotate behaviour of entities.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Springheel - I broke that apart just to take the screen grab.

Perhaps someone can try importing that prefab (the existing mirror and stand) and see if it does the same. Id be interested if someone running a beta of 2.5.0 DR has a different outcome.

Cheers

I imported it in 2.04 and it rotated fine for me.

Wait, I reread your original post...did you say you resized the models in your prefab? Resizing models can produce some glitchy results.

I imported it in 2.04 and it rotated fine for me.

Wait, I reread your original post...did you say you resized the models in your prefab? Resizing models can produce some glitchy results.

I did scale the mirror (tea tray) part. But the others i reverted to worldspawn, changed dimensions then changed back to func_statics and re-applied the parameters.

It's strange that Bikerdudes original prefab doesn't work for me?!

I'll install the DR 2.5.0 pre2 release tonight and retry.

Thanks for helping out guys - getting there !

BTW - here are the prefabs for anyone to try -- https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rYIHbuSwrpc_db8mo9LUaS1ptu4HkMi3?usp=sharing

Edited by letran

You do not necessarely have to revert func_statics to worldspawn if you want to make changes. You can use tab to alternate through the primitives.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I don't see the problem in your video either. The entire prefab seems to be rotating together, as expected.

I'm afraid i'll need to find some free screen recording software. In the meantime i've done two screengrabs which attempt to show the issue. Not too clear though i'm afraid.

If anyone could recommend some open source screen recording software for windows i'd appreciate it.

thanks.

post-21506-0-07057700-1513868053_thumb.jpg

post-21506-0-07011100-1513868054_thumb.jpg