The Dark Mod Forums

TDM doesn't get keyboard focus when launched!

Araneidae

I have a very strange issue with TDM on Fedora 27. I have freshly installed 2.05 (and for comparison the 2.06 beta, only just heard about it) on a freshly installed Fedora 27 system ... and when I launch TDM from the command line the command line console continues to get my key presses!

Eventually I have found that if I have a second application running, then I can apparently Alt-Tab to it (ok, not quite stock, I've enabled Alternatetab in gnome-tweak-tool) and I get keyboard events and everything works properly ... in 2.06 beta, even sound works out of the box!

Is this a known problem with a more sensible known fix or workaround?

A couple of explanations for clarity.

1. If I don't launch a game, but just start tdm, type keys, exit (using the menu), then all the keys I pressed are visible on my terminal application.
  2. When I have another application available it seems that after I press Alt-Tab the keyboard events go to TDM as they ought to.

This looks like a pretty obscure interaction with the Gnome desktop!

Lol, gaming on Linux, good luck!

Well, I've managed to game on Linux for pretty well the whole of this century ... but it certainly is a frustrating experience. I mean, just talking about TDM, I'm dismayed that it's taken so long to get sound working out of the box ... or on the other hand, I'm delighted that sound suddenly now just works on 2.06 beta!

My focus problem certainly is annoying. I've had problems somewhat like this in the past with Wine (and worse), but I seem to have a weird workaround for the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm going to try bumping this question again; don't think "lol gaming on linux" is terribly useful, particularly as otherwise TDM seems to run very nicely.

I'm now running a fresh install of 64-bit 2.06 on Fedora 28. Yesterday I was able to use alt-Tab to somehow move the focus over to the game, but today all keys go to the original launch console. Any workaround to be able to actually play the game would be nice.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that sound now seems to work perfectly out of the box, and graphics settings are easy and well behaved. I think the only strange problem is the keyboard focus.

If i use that, but search for alt-tab problems or focus for doom 3 on linux, in stead of tdm, i got several sollutions.

Good for you. Do you feel like posting them?

Have to say I'm not finding anything useful. Maybe you're not actually reading the links you're finding, maybe your Google is primed differently, maybe you're using a different search engine, really I've got nothing to go on.

Unfortunately what I'm finding is pretty worthless:

https://hardforum.com/threads/keyboard-not-working-in-doom-3.841377/

This is someone back in 2004 with the same problem but no solution.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/3hr8a4/doom_3_refuses_to_take_any_keyboard_input_except/

This guy's problem went away on a restart.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/379720/discussions/0/357286532030362140/

Unhelpful

So freyk, if you've actually discovered something useful, perhaps you could be kind enough enlighten us?

Two things are different about the machine that's not working from other systems where I've had no problems: 1/ gnome 3; and 2/ Intel integrated graphics (which actually works very nicely). Hard to see how this can be related though.

• 3 weeks later...

All current TDM developers use Windows as primary system.

Nevertheless, I regularly check TDM in a Linux VM. But using a VM adds one more level of weirdness to how input works, so it won't help.

Cabalistic also used native Linux for testing TDM. Maybe he can try it out, but it is unlikely he has Fedora.

You see: there are much more Linux distros than TDM developers.

Probably adding some call like XSetInputFocus in proper place can fix the problem, but someone who has this problem needs to test it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to have a slightly deeper look at this problem. One word: Wayland.

Hehe. Replace one problem (Xserver) with the other (Wayland). :P TBH, i'm glad i don't use the mess called Linux anymore.

(Not helpful, i know. But, every now and then i feel like ranting about something i used for years, and which never really developed into anything, when i used it.)