The Dark Mod Forums

Sad news, we lost one of our own - Sir Taffsalot.

Bikerdude

But then it hit me that I wouldn't actually need to worry about paying bills that month anyway, and I laughed.

But these days when I call or text them, they never ever answer or respond, even though they're all carrying around devices 24/7 that are constantly connected, so clearly they never were.

I think if I'm still here by 50, that will be the time to call it quits. I'm 34 now.

I laughed myself when I read that, a wry laugh.

This is one of the few things I learned that a very long time ago, and its what I have to explain over and over again to people. I can count all of my actual friends true and casual on one hand, most of my fellow human being are not worth a fuck - which is sad for us as a species.

When I was in my 20-30 I said that, Im creeping up on 50 and ache here and there, but everything still works.

Some people find satisfaction in starting a family. I have zero interest in doing that whatsoever. Another thing that brings people happiness are friends. When I was younger, I felt as though many people were my friends. But these days when I call or text them, they never ever answer or respond, even though they're all carrying around devices 24/7 that are constantly connected, so clearly they never were.

I think if I'm still here by 50, that will be the time to call it quits. I'm 34 now. Definitely don't want to live to 80 or 90, though. There is one good friend that I wouldn't want to disappoint, but unfortunately they're almost double my age and that means at some point I will probably have to cope with losing them to the natural causes of aging.

People who have families of their own are less receptive overall because of obvious reasons and cares that come with having children, whether biological or adopted. Generally people who are single are easier to relate to with other single people. But you know how it is.

If it makes you feel a little better, we don't just live for ourselves. We also live for the loved ones, next of kin or whoever you have closest. Certainly you'll agree that suicide is kind of a selfish idea. But we get to it when we set our expectations too high. And that means disappointment at every step. All of our lives are made of up disappointments, pain and suffering. Lots of people are just good at hiding it.

The thing that many do not realize is that handicapped people are frequently preyed upon by society. For one example, if you're blind, it costs about $1000 for a program that reads the screen of the computer to you. Dealing with people taking advantage of you is worse than dealing with the impairment itself.

Also, if it makes you feel better rich people are more desirable to be prayed upon. Look at how successors wrecked Nelson Mandela's heritage and robbed South Africa with their political hypocrisy. When we think there is no lower to go, humanity always finds a new low.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

All of our lives are made of up disappointments, pain and suffering.

All of our lives include disappointments, pain and suffering. They also include wonder, pleasure, and joy. Sometimes an imbalance in brain chemistry can keep people from seeing the latter, but we have treatments for that now.

• Like 1

All of our lives include disappointments, pain and suffering. They also include wonder, pleasure, and joy. Sometimes an imbalance in brain chemistry can keep people from seeing the latter, but we have treatments for that now.

We're not robots to experience emotions at will.

While any treatment is voluntary.

It's no secret that using too much medicine can cause adverse effects even with presumably healthy meds, that's why we have AIDS and new forms of cancer all the time.

Wasn't there a quote in Robinson Crusoe saying that the worst depression is better then any hysterical joy?

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

My condolences to family and friends of Gary. From the few interactions I had with him he seemed like a swell guy. I also thoroughly enjoyed his FMs! If I remember Vengeance for a Thief was one of the first campaigns of TDM, and it had an engaging storyline.

Kano, I'm your age too and it can seem like life is hopeless for me as well sometimes. My friends have pretty much dried up and disappeared as well, people tend to strike out on their own in their 20's and not look back. I know I'm guilty of this as well, and rekindling old friendships can feel like it requires a lot of effort even though it really doesn't. Family is forever though, and I feel like that's where my tether to reality is. Other than that finding a creative hobby, or finding ways to help others in your community really tend to bring out the spark of life I find. I wish you the best!

• Like 2

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

I am also nearing my mid-thirties and from my close friends in school most are now just names on my Facebook list. But I always have one line of the song "Caledonia" in my head: "Lost some friends that I needed losing; found others on the way". It is quite normal to lose touch with people when you have to relocate and it takes a lot of effort to keep up a long distance freindship. I myself am someone who tends to let relations slip away. Not because I do not care about my friends, but simply because I am busy in my day to day life and don't find the time or forget to contact them. And one of my best friends is exactly the same. As a consequence, we have not spoken since Christmas, but I am sure, when I write or call him, he will be happy to hear from me (even if he does not answer).

Regarding suicide I once read a statement that I found very accurate: "Suicide does not make the pain stop. It simply transfers it to others." And may it be that it's just to people you have met online in a forum about a video game. Everyone has someone who cares about you. Be that family, friends, colleagues, neighbours or online acquainatnces. I cannot imagine that there is anyone that really noone would care to see go. And this is why I find it all the more sad (and also quite selfish) to end ones own life. But I cannot imagine the hopelessness one must feel to take his own life, so I can and will not judge anyone for such a desperate measure.

• Like 1

Could we perhaps organise a joint wreath on behalf of the editing community if someone will participate? I would be happy to contribute.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Could we perhaps organise a joint wreath on behalf of the editing community if someone will participate? I would be happy to contribute.

Absolutely. I'll contribute as well. Great idea.

@Biker, being local to London, would you be willing to look into how to make this happen? I can PayPal you my share.

@Biker, being local to London, would you be willing to look into how to make this happen? I can PayPal you my share.

Very thoughtful idea Melan, and yes of course I do that! Before we do anything, let me do some online research as some of these places that cater to funeral only wreaths only are clearly just trying to rip people off.

Edited by Bikerdude
  • Like 1

And this was between the New Year.

What a shitty New Year it is.

Sir Taffsalot fan missions were one of my favourite, they weren't detailed or visually pleasing, but the gameplay was spot-on, it reminded me of both old Thief games better than all others.

I just hope he's happy in Hell/Heaven/Purgatory, stealing from Satan/God/Whoever-the-hell-it-is like a Ghost.

Ok so the flower shop cam back to me... £100 and it can't be carried in a backpack.

This seems to me like a waste of good money that could be used far more constructively. So a few idea’s came to mind –

• I/we use the money buy Gary’s old PC, we could then donate this PC to the darkmod forum for a mapping contest.
  • Donate the money to Gary’s mum
  • Like 1

Ok so the flower shop cam back to me... £100 and it can't be carried in a backpack.

This seems to me like a waste of good money that could be used far more constructively. So a few idea’s came to mind –

• I/we use the money buy Gary’s old PC, we could then donate this PC to the darkmod forum for a mapping contest.
  • Donate the money to Gary’s mum

The only problem I see with the first idea is the cost of shipping the PC around the world.

Maybe donate it to a local school.