The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Elixir by b1k3rdude & Obsttorte (17/02/2018)

Bikerdude

great now it works! :D excellent mission!

There is one thing that bothers me though:

Why the two guards patrolling in the city streets go for you on sight? whilst the tavern is full of people that obviously have gone there through the city streets, is that because you're dressed like a thief? or because you have a recognizable face? if so the people in the tavern should react to you too isn't it? and in case of the face, it would be cool to communicate this to the player with wanted posters everywhere.

is there a way to limit areas to the general public, like if you walk through the city streets you're fine, but once you walk trough the metal fence and you're seen by the guard patrol then they see you and attack you, like a social stealth thing.

so streets are fine, but once you cross several places, then you're a criminal, or also you're fine while you're not holding a weapon out, or are not seen climbing or on top of some box, or barrel. (like if seen in any unreachable area for the AI, and you're in neutral territory, then you're climbing and so a criminal)
Edited by 7318

Biel Bestué de Luna - Github

1. Why the two guards patrolling in the city streets go for you on sight?
  2. whilst the tavern is full of people that obviously have gone there through the city streets, is that because you're dressed like a thief?
  3. is there a way to limit areas to the general public, like if you walk through the city streets you're fine, but once you walk trough the metal fence and you're seen by the guard patrol then they see you and attack you, like a social stealth thing.
  4. or also you're fine while you're not holding a weapon out, or are not seen climbing or on top of some box, or barrel.
  1. Because the player is dressed a thief.
  2. Because the patrons in most taverns are civillians, they in this instance arent bothered by the players presense. However is the barman manages to notice the cash has been strolen fro the cash box then all the patrons will see the player as the enemy.
  3. this can been done, but I never got around to doing it for this map.
  4. The weapon suggestion would require some custom scripting which I dont have the time or motivation to do at this point.

@Thiefette, what issue?

@Thiefette, what issue?

Hi Bikerdude, I'm getting the same issue as SuaveSteve and UglyEd had.

SuaveSteve - "When I start the mission, I get the difficulty selection the moment it finishes loading, no prompt to click attack.

I can select a difficulty, or leave nothing selected, and click start mission. Then it is as if I quick loaded, loading bar goes quick and all I see is this:

https://i.imgur.com/QqtkwhX.png "

UglyEd - "Intro -> Objectives -> Start Mission -> Generating World -> Starting Mission - please wait -> Objectives....
In all, the mission does not start."

Mission has been updated in the mission database.

Since I used the same pk4 name, you should get an asterix (*) "update available" indicator on the downloads page

if you have the elixir_1_3.pk4 file. If you have the original elixir.pk4 file, delete it and get the latest from the in-game

updater.

FYI. For those who are Admin's of the FM database: Do not upload mission revisions with different pk4 names,

rename the file to the original name prior to upload and use the "Version" field on the FM admin page to alert that

a new update is available.

• Thanks 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 2 weeks later...

Well crafted little FM!

Nice choice to put

that guard in that high and unreachable position :P

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Now that TDM 2.06 has been out for awhile, and there are much better options for AA and Soft-Shadows:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/downloads/tdm-206-vertex-buffer-beta

there is no reason to hold back EFX audio on this mission anymore.

The mission has been updated to require 2.06. You should see an update indicator in the mission download listing.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Really nice mission. The secret button was a bit devilishly hidden (the fact that I kept searching the wrong stairs for a long time, did not help either).

I also experienced the glitch where the contents in the safe is not frobable and had to reload to an earlier save. Also, not sure if it is mission specific or something introduced by TDM 2.06 but when playing on "Master Difficulty" there is a certain Holy Symbol which looks as a vase until picked up. It can be seen in the playthrough above at 18:11.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished this great little mission while testing my Unofficial Patch. Everything worked fine on easy, but I had to check in here for the secret button as I suspected the frobable empty holder like Springheel. Maybe you should place a candle there on all difficulties! Also I had problems jumping from the first ladder to enter the high ground. Maybe something can be done there to make it easier. Last not least the voice over in the intro was rather quiet so I didn't get the connection between the Elixir and the painting. What was that all about? I would rather make stealing the formula and the sample the main objectives and turn the painting into normal loot...

• 3 weeks later...

Really enjoyed this mission.

Almost got nailed by the guard up high - sneaky ;) , but caught sight of him at the last second. There was so many places I wanted to climb but alas was not meant to be so I continued on. The readables were good, the only one that gave me trouble was when it was talking about the hallway - I kept looking in the wrong one. I knew it was a clue so kept looking and managed to find more stuff in the process. :) Eventually found what I was looking for.

Thanks for all your hard work. Look forward to more.

• 3 months later...

There's no candle. It's an empty sconce, which makes it look suspicious. And then when you frob it, it behaves like a movable (except it doesn't move). Another possibility is that somehow I'm frobbing through the wall and grabbing a cup on the other side? Not sure. But something odd is going on there.

Nice little mission, just posted here to note that yes, this is what appears to be happening.

• 10 months later...

Great mission, thanks!

I like small missions - they're less tiresome. And what's important for me here - the mission is not only mansion but also infiltration with a nice vertical use. The tavern adds to the atmosphere which is awesome. The main con for me is that I think it's the third map where I encounter the same sewers. By coincedence I played the map with these sewers the very yesterday.

• Like 1

How we speak depends on how we keep silent.

Personally, i don't have a problem with same-ish looking places (as long as they differ in layout). Actually, the opposite, if i see the same design, it adds to a feeling of consistency. Some missions, where the creator drew or created a lot of stuff him-/herself, it seems pretty alien, to be honest. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

The mission was going exceedingly well until the guard is stuck spinning at the open window, and then after the guard was spooked away from the window then the lady of the house got stuck spinning at the open window. Shame because this was a good mission until then!