The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod Youtube Channel

RPGista

So, who has "the keys" to the existing official channel ? I'll start refurbishing it, I don't have much to do now, but I need official permission to use it. Otherwise I'm just a spectator.

That would be me. Shoot me a PM.

• Like 2

Brilliant! I was literally coming here to comment on just how great springheel's tutorial series is (was checking out some videos yesterday) and it will be fun to have all this content (and all the other material from Obs, Sotha, Biker, etc) in one place, getting views.

• Like 2

Brilliant! I was literally coming here to comment on just how great springheel's tutorial series is (was checking out some videos yesterday) and it will be fun to have all this content (and all the other material from Obs, Sotha, Biker, etc) in one place, getting views.

Absolutely. Given that you can create and feature various playlists of favourites from outside a channel, it should be rather easy to set up little video anthologies connected by the same topic.

I wonder if, in addition to modding tutorials and promos (trailers, development videos), we could also feature a few higher quality Let's Plays of popular missions. Cambridge Spy has done some, but I know of a few really good ones from the TheMasterFoundry and ThreadbareInc channels, and a few others. Though a few of those occassionally showed older 2.0> versions, they were good at showcasing the various features and had plenty of thoughtful commentary on the design positives of the game and all the work that went into it. If we're going for ringing endorsements, we might as well go for some endorsement via more serious LPers too.

Edited by Petike the Taffer
  • Like 2

I like to request copying all my Elixir tutorial videos off my YT channel to the TDM channel please - https://www.youtube.com/user/b1k3rdude

From what I have read this should be easy - https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2404846?hl=en-GB

I'm asking because I am closing the account but dont want people to loose access to the videos. The files will be up until 9th, after which the account will be gone.

thanks.

Edited by Bikerdude
  • Like 1

I like to request copying all my Elixir tutorial videos off my YT channel to the TDM channel please - https://www.youtube.com/user/b1k3rdude

From what I have read this should be easy - https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2404846?hl=en-GB

I'm asking because I am closing the account but dont want people to loose access to the videos. The files will be up until 9th, after which the account will be gone.

thanks.

I can't download the files right now, I was gone the whole week.

Did anyone else download or move Bikerdude's videos ?

The most important thing with YT, is not making playlists etc. It's uploads. If you want it to get anywhere, you have to upload at least every week. Also,

we have quite a few people who are making videos for TDM. You can't just take other peoples Play throughs and upload them to the teams YouTube channel

without their permission. Not only is it a breach of copyright, but it can also get a copyright strike put against the channel. Also, if you did have a channel,

it shouldn't be called The Dark Mod, it should be called Broken Glass Studios.

The problem with TDM having it's own, is you need a content creator. You can't just take other peoples play throughs, etc and add them to the channel.

They need to be your own work. Making level trailers is definitely a way to go, especially with the ability to have MP4 video files soon. If you really want

a TDM channel, this is what you need:

- A content creator is the first thing, someone who is willing to make videos every week, and upload them.

- Someone who is willing to manage the channels Branding, and make sure all content is legetimate.

- Someone who can upload new videos on a regular basis.

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

thanks.

Why close it BD? It's a great resource, and you should just leave it up. It's never a good idea to burn your bridges.

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

- A content creator is the first thing, someone who is willing to make videos every week, and upload them.

- Someone who is willing to manage the channels Branding, and make sure all content is legetimate.

- Someone who can upload new videos on a regular basis.

We have none of that. Like you pointed out, this is not about rebranding other peoples lets play videos. Its about linking to them. RIght now we have little material in the channel, and most important TDM related videos are scattered. If we can have somewhere where we "collect" all the major video series on TDM in one place, specifically tutorial series, that would be really useful, and this is probably the only realistic scope we are gonna have for this, imo.

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 1

I think there's nothing wrong with linking them, it's a good thing to do.

All right, Springheel figured out the login stuff and I've had some time to edit the channel this evening. Tell me what you think:

TDM channel

Is everything showing up nicely enough ? Are there roughly 9 different playlists under the Uploads one ?

Concerning links to our sites, I've added the four basic ones to the channel's About page, as well as a few Featured Channels to the bar on the right, on that same page.

• Like 3

Fan-farkin'-tastic! Thanks!!!

Glad to hear that. :) I will of course welcome any constructive feedback.

Still doing a few checks if I've finished everything I wanted to this evening. Then I'll log off and return to my own account.

----

An overview of the playlists and their descriptions:

Tutorials: TDM New Mappers Workshop - "Introducing newbie mappers into building levels (maps) for TDM fan missions. New to mapping (level building) in TDM ? These tutorials are an absolute must-see ! With detailed and insightful commentary by Springheel, TDM development veteran."

Tutorials: Springheel's Modules (TDM 2.05 and above) - "A shorter series of tutorial videos, in which Springheel explains how to use the new modular building assets for mapping (level building)."

Tutorials: Let's Map TDM ! (by Sotha) - "Sotha's "Let's Map TDM !" series of video tutorials."

Tutorials: Let's Map TDM - "Let's Map TDM" video tutorial series, by Obsttorte. The first three of these videos are in German with English subtitles, but they are in English after that."

Tutorials: Komag's TDM/Dark Radiant 101 - "Basic, TDM 101 tutorials by past TDM developer Komag. Installing The Dark Mod, its level editor Dark Radiant and some level building advice. Slightly older video tutorials, but since they are basic, the fundamentals described in them have not changed. You can use them to learn quickly about visportals and the like..."

Tutorials: Bikerdude's Module Speed Build Series - "Level building (mapping) tutorial series, utilising modular level-building assets, with commentary by Bikerdude."

Tutorials: Springheel's Speed Build Challenge - "A step-by-step Let's Build, attempting to use modules and prefabs to build a mission in under 4 hours."

Trailers (2013-present, 2.0) - "Trailers for The Dark Mod since the 2.0 standalone version (2013-present)."

Major update announcements - "Announcements of upcoming major updates to TDM, with previews presenting the updated or brand new content. Technical improvements, gameplay improvements, new art assets and AIs, new AI behaviour, and much more... (Announcement videos have become a regular feature after TDM went standalone with version 2.0.)"

Development footage - "Shorter videos of testing features that were or are in development, accumulated over the years of The Dark Mod's development. Little sneak-peaks into early versions of various features and mechanics."

Mission cinematics and promos - "Opening cinematics (including ones for opening briefings) and various promo videos for individual TDM missions."

Let's Plays (SPOILERS !) - "Let's Plays, both older and newer, but mostly newer, showcasing various missions for The Dark Mod. Let's Plays of various authors. Beware of SPOILERS for individual missions ! Let's Players featured on the playlist (in alphabetical order): AluminumHaste, BoyLag, DrLizShawOBE2, FenPhoenix, FinSompi, MasterHelpo, Paul11290, PsycoRevolution, Reimar, TheMasterFoundry, ThreadbareInc, V339"

Gameplay tips - "Various tips on what to look out for during gameplay and how to improve your grasp on various gameplay mechanics."

Trailers (2004-2013, pre-2.0) - "Older trailers, from the first nine years of The Dark Mod's development, before the TDM went standalone with version 2.0."

Featurettes - "Videos other than trailers, presenting the base game or a particular mission or addon project in greater depth. Short videos, but longer than any of the trailers or update announcement videos."

External reviews - "Older and newer video reviews of The Dark Mod, by external authors or editorial staff from around the world."

Music of The Dark Mod - "Various music from The Dark Mod soundtrack. Most of the soundtrack was created back in 2005, but there have been gradual additions to it since the project's early years. The 2005 compilation can be downloaded here:" http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/addons/official-soundtrack-vol-1

Curios and undeveloped content - "Prototype content from early development that didn't quite make it into the current versions (for various reasons), experimental addons by various people, and even strange bugs. This playlist is an assortment of weirdness and the occassional amusing bits."

Important note: Each tutorial playlist has links to all the other tutorial playlists in its description. Just so that all of them could get a fair amount of exposure, even if someone never bothers to click the Playlists tab of the channel.

----

Sites linked from the About page:

TDM Official Website

TDM Official Forums

TDM Official Wiki

TDM Facebook

TDM Steam Group

TDM ModDB

• Like 1

I'd recommend adding Sotha's bakery Let's Map, and the speedbuild series I did...both have lots of useful info for mappers just starting out.

• Like 1

Indeed, plus I would also recommend Obsttorte's lets map series, which goes into some really advanced stuff and is pretty amazing as well (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrQt-qjh-krYU2kpnJJRHUO8P4xPG5I9X).

As for the channel, thank you very much for that my friend. You can really see the care that went into the research and in fleshing it out. Its really great seeing all those resources collected like that, under the cool logos and banners... It feels right. Im loving this.

A couple of suggestions from me would mostly revolve around perhaps thinking of ways of simplifying the playlists page - What do you guys think about joining all experimental and test footage, for example? Also, what about (and would it be possible to) having the lists sorted from most relevant to least, and also by "type"? In a way that tutorials would be sorted next to each other, say. You could have trailers and what is the dark mod sort of videos first, and other stuff that pimps the game, and leave things like legacy features and older trailers a bit further down. Another possibility would be to have a video playing right at the home page, something that showcases the game or explains it a bit for newcomers?

Anyway, great job so far!

Edited by RPGista

Indeed, plus I would also recommend Obsttorte's lets map series, which goes into some really advanced stuff and is pretty amazing as well (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrQt-qjh-krYU2kpnJJRHUO8P4xPG5I9X).

All of the video tutorials will be added. :) There's no sense in keeping them just to the wiki. But I'm tired and need to give it a rest for at least a day. :P

A couple of suggestions from me would mostly revolve around perhaps thinking of ways of simplifying the playlists page - What do you guys think about joining all experimental and test footage, for example? Also, what about (and would it be possible to) having the lists sorted from most relevant to least, and also by "type"? In a way that tutorials would be sorted next to each other, say. You could have trailers and what is the dark mod sort of videos first, and other stuff that pimps the game, and leave things like legacy features and older trailers a bit further down.

I've thought of that, but it just didn't sit right. Should we encourage new fans to keep badgering us about stuff like belchers or ridable horses ? I quickly realised it would just cause confusion and problems. The development playlist therefore only includes stuff that will realistically make it into near-future releases. It's for the best that we not entice newcomers with ideas that are on hiatus for a long time or might not resurface in future development at all. For the time being, if someone discovers that "weirdness playlist", they can think of it as a neat easter egg. The more experimental, but far-from-usable side of TDM.

Another possibility would be to have a video playing right at the home page, something that showcases the game or explains it a bit for newcomers?

Wouldn't our most recent trailer from last year, voiced by Goldwell, work well as the introductory trailer for the channel ? I could certainly see it, it has all the basic info on the game. I can add it, if no one minds.

P.S. update: Okay, I've gone back and checked it, and the issue is that we don't have a copy of the trailer on the channel itself (it's on Goldwell's channel). So, until some team member uploads Goldwell's official trailer to the channel, I have my hands tied. I can only add a video as an intro trailer if it's uploaded to the channel itself.

As for the channel, thank you very much for that my friend. You can really see the care that went into the research and in fleshing it out. Its really great seeing all those resources collected like that, under the cool logos and banners... It feels right. Im loving this. Anyway, great job so far!

Thanks. Structurally, I had things thought out already weeks ago. (Though I'll confess I've never featured playlists on the opening page before, so this bit of experience was new even to me. :D)

• Like 1

Awesome. Add this please https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtDfrNBNCns

Oh and add the Mapping playlists mentioned as their own playlist, ie Learn to Map in Dark Mod

Edited by NeonsStyle

Okay, the video tutorials on the channel and the wiki are organised now.

Let me know if something else is still needed.

Add this please

Done.

Oh and add the Mapping playlists mentioned as their own playlist, ie Learn to Map in Dark Mod

I think it's better to keep the tutorials separate by author, lest we confuse newcomers by one huge playlist.

However, in each of the tutorial playlists, I have added links to the other tutorials. Now the viewers of those videos can find the other ones very easily, regardless of which playlist they watch first.

I'd like to appeal to Springheel and the development team's members: If you can find the time in the near future, please upload the Official TDM Trailer to our official channel. Then I'll be able to set it as an introductory trailer for the channel, which will be particularly useful when dealing with newcomers to the channel.

That would be up to Goldwell, as it's his video.

So I suppose we might as well send him the current login details...

Of course I dont mind if you guys use my trailer on the official channel, Id be honored :)

Ill dig through my external hard drive for the source file and post a MEGA link here tonight.

Also just a quick correction, the trailer was voiced by AndrosTheOxen. I recorded the footage and edited the trailer together.

• Like 1

Thank you very much, I've already downloaded it ! I'll see what I can do. B)

Yes, come to think of it, the voice sounded a bit different to your's. I might add this to Andros' resume in the voice actors article on the wiki.

What tags would you and the others recommend for the official trailer ? I'd like to give it at least the same tags as you have on your own channel.

----

Minor update: The trailer has been uploaded to our channel and set as the introduction video. Every unsubscribed person will see it.

• Like 2