The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod Youtube Channel

RPGista

The name of the song is Mechanists so that's why it was put like that. I can replace the title with Builders but there is still the Mechanists word in the video.

Or I can remove the video and remake it entirely if necessary :)

Edited by SpirescuAndrei
  • Like 1

Because it's not an IP issue? The term "Mechanist" is not trademarked, nor is it limited to Thief. Fallout 3 has a "Mechanist" character.

Beyond that, after being officially recognized by Eidos/SE several years ago, the idea that they would decide to come after us over the title of someone else's Youtube video that we just happened to add to a playlist is more than a little hard to take seriously..

• Like 1

Fear persists that Eidos has turned to the dark side after presumably bad Thief/Deus Ex games. Evil is everywhere.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

IIRC, that song's title has been Mechanists for years, and it was included on the first TDM soundtrack from 2005. If anyone is worried about possible legal issues, we can change the track's name anytime. (Including the soundtrack download package over at ModDB.com.)

Just in case, I will check whether that music is really on the 2005 soundtrack. I remember it being there, but I might be mistaken. Better to double-check.

----

Update: I've checked it, and yes, it is there. Track number 6, Mechanists, by drewb50 (who did many music tracks for TDM in its early years). IIRC, it's still in the base game, available as an ambient. The only real issue might be the title, but as Springheel says, I sincerely doubt you can trademark the word "mechanists" any more than you could trademark a term like "The City".

The name of the song is Mechanists so that's why it was put like that. I can replace the title with Builders but there is still the Mechanists word in the video. Or I can remove the video and remake it entirely if necessary :)

I understand, I shall remove it then.

I see you've already removed it. I don't think you needed to, but oh well... Feel free to reupload the video in the same state it was before, and only change the name to "Builders". That's more than enough. I don't think Eidos would go after us due to a music track name that's been a part of TDM since 2005, but if some feel it's better to be on the safe side, I won't argue.

An idea, Andrei, if you decide to change the visual parts of the video:

Replace what looks like the Mechanist flag from Thief II with the Builder banner from TDM. The Builder symbol includes both a hammer and a gear, so it will fit in nicely as a replacement. :) Oh, and in case you don't have the original music track for the video anymore, I can send you a copy of the track, just let me know.

Edited by Petike the Taffer

ignore, accidental double-post (and can one delete these ?)

• 2 weeks later...

I have added two new promotional videos about 2.06 that I was able to find. Check the announcements playlist to see those.

• 1 month later...

Phew, it's been a while. :P

I've noticed Springheel has put up a new tutorial video about making pressure plate traps. I've already included it on our channel.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If the goal is to attract more attention to TDM (I suppose it's the goal of any official channel), then it might be worth working on adding new videos to the channel, but that has to be done with some amount of frequency, so that YT's algorithms also favor the channel. Perhaps videos could be made whenever stuff happens in TDM: when a major update gets released (maybe even major DR updates), when something important gets implemented in the engine, when a new mission gets released, etc. I think mission trailers, like NeonsStyle suggested, could be a great way to have somewhat frequent content there.

Otherwise people will just forget the channel exists. Of course the nature of this channel doesn't favor consistent frequency of uploads. Uploads will only ever be as frequent as stuff is happening in TDM, and as frequent as the effort that's being put in making videos showing that stuff is happening.

No rush, though. I think it's to be expected that Let's Players and Modders will attract way more attention with their own channels than any official channel ever does, so there's that too. But I think official channels can give things a little push when the hype is low.

Edited by Skaruts

My FMs: By The Cookbook

it might be worth working on adding new videos to the channel, but that has to be done with some amount of frequency,

This would be something the community would have to take up. We're not overflowing with active developers lately.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found a lot of development footage (by Arcturus, I think ?) that wasn't on the relevant playlist yet. It's there now, and I've put in chronological order, to fit with the structure of the playlist. One day, I'll just sit back and watch the whole playlist, seeing the progression of things we've added or tested over the years. :)

• 3 months later...

I'll be adding some of the 2.07 demonstration videos to the relevant playlists.

On 5/19/2018 at 3:49 AM, NeonsStyle said:
snip

Apologies for bringing this up again, but I'd like to adress your earlier points on regular content with this:

https://twitter.com/thedarkmod

TDM actually has an official Twitter, which would be useful for quick news and updates every now and then. For some reason, though, it's been silent for some 7, if not 8 years. I don't get why, given the massive improvements the game has had since then. I don't like Twitter, and if the crew decided that leaving it to focus on other social media for promotion is the right choice, I certainly don't mind. It's just that a platform like this is better for fast and relatively regular updates than YT. Preparing a video update and uploading it takes time, quite a bit more time than tweeting or otherwise posting a link to a shorter article on TDM news, even one without videos (e.g. a shorter text article with a few images, on the official site, or ModDB).

As others have also said, an official YT channel is still the most practical for development news and concentrating everything important in one place. LPers will stay at their place, rather than migrate to any sort of official channel. Unless someone experienced volunteers to produce content for the channel full-time, we simply don't have the manpower.

Additionally, unless the constant regular content are LPs, what will the content be ? Listicles on "Top 10 something or other in TDM..." ? Eh, it wouldn't work. TDM and its release schedule is not something that is conductive for that sort of regular updating. I suppose the biggest regular bit of news outside of release news would be news on new FMs, at least if you want videos with some sort of news-like commentary. Videos showing development progress, either on the base game or an FM, are generally better off without accompanying commentary.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hello  Petike the Taffer

(MMM ? how to implement this blue petike the taffer tableaux - so you get a message ?! )
nice to hear you´re back in town 
if you are still holding your hands on the TDM-Youtube Channel
i´d like to ask you some questions about it : ( some ideas to give it a better appearance )

and about offering some vids I made of " Hazard-Pay "
maybe by PM ( because of Musik i added and if it´s possible to implement them to the TDM-Youtube Channel