The Dark Mod Forums

Snehk's WIP Megathread

Snehk

This thread will be dedicated to asking questions, sharing ideas and suggestions, and uploading assets and WIP screenshots of my fan missions.

All assets posted herein by me will be available for use in any fan mission project, as well as projects not related with The Dark Mod, with only restriction being leaving a proper reference to their author (me) in project's readme.

Link to assets:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14OLDIzR3igIm-6-KEZfqKhcymp3MH2ML?usp=sharing

Edited by Snehk
  • Like 1

'What do I care for your suffering?'

Clean design and great dedication for detailing that layout you have.

Do you plan on getting a modeled ship hull detailed out after blocking in all the bulkheads and rooms? There's a pretty quick and efficient way of going about sealing and portaling various sections if you don't mind shear invisible clips off the sides of the vessel. The clips would only be noticeable if you needed the player to swim close to the waterline.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

I thought about making the whole ship using patches and brushes, but brushing out it's rooms and modeling out the exterior won't be a big problem.

• Like 1

Yeah modeling the exterior will definitely be your best bet. Trying to do the outer hull with brushes/patches sounds like it would be a total nightmare. It's also a prime candidate for some vertex blends for darkening/wear as well as the waterline for the material. I could help you setup the UVs/Blend material for that if you wanted, as it would certainly help give it some visual oomph for texture detail.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that I've finished designing the main layout of the warehouse. I'm yet to add more finishing touches to it. Texturing is still highly WIP, but I'd already chosen textures for all the rooms inside.

dnIU5UG.png

That's how it looks from the outside. I'm going to add some windows to lighten the area inside.

NnOWS2f.png

The entry has got some support beams holding the roof.

pKmZFQW.png

There are some wooden beams outside as well, so get your rope arrows ready!

Edited by Snehk
  • Like 2

Thats a good start. The proportions seem right and reasonable. Artistically however there's room to grow. Do google searches to see how roof tiles are built if you want to keep it visible from the inside (you are missing a lot of elements). Avoid long, mathematically perfect brushes. Break the geometry in sections, so the object wont be overly simple, and the tiling not so jarring. Search for how historical buildings are actually constructed. An example would be how a big opening like that entrance door has to be done in a masonry construction. Dont try to wing it, copy the examples, mix the references to create your unique building. Dont let the character walk around the whole of your structure, dont let him see the entirety of the inside space at a once. Create limited spaces the player need to find the exit from. Study Melan's, Springheel's or Bikerdude's architecture to see how it is done. ;)

Edited by RPGista

There are a series of warehouse industrial modules that are designed to be used for this kind of building, along with a number of prefabs, that you might find useful.

I wanted to get the proportions and general idea what would go where (see it from within the editor) first, then take care of the visuals. The tiles visible from inside are an effect of texturing not finished yet and I'm not sure if they'd stay there in the end. The building is already split into several sections and player would have to find his way around to reach everything. I'm going to search for reference materials and I'll definitely check prefabs and modules.

Thank's for your suggestions!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow, my last post here was back in April!

Anyways, as I mentioned porting assets from my current project to TDM, here's one work in progress screenshot:

YggF0kh.png

It was meant to be a part of a view model, and as such it has exactly 316 tris.

• Like 2

The project that it was primarily made for is a Half-Life modification, so I'm trying to save up as much as I can. This may be repurposed as a moveable or I may detail it more later on.

• Like 2

I know in Sven Coop they have some pretty densely packed (polygon wise) 1st person guns. I was trying to look up what GoldSrc can actually handle but on modern hardware people tend to use more in place of little to no advanced shaders.

• Like 1

The engine can hold quite a bit, but the project has a low poly aesthetic. This + making most models low poly will ensure it'd run smooth even on ancient devices.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The sword got textures made by Admer456:

CTi1aI3.png

And here's a thing made entirely by Windawz:

LaRpufk.jpg

They are members of TWHL forums and my development studio, and they are working with me on our current project.

Edited by Snehk
  • Like 3

Awesome to see you've got some good help lined up for that! If I wasn't so intent on a full environment done alone (for portfolio) I'd be doing the same thing and try to collab with other modelers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time to get crazy. Ye auld Sicklehammer! Prepare for a devastating blow comrade!

3oVLRHs.png

0KI5aiP.png

5BcWL9Q.png

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

A little work in progress concept art inpired by Hammerite Haunts and Revenants.

aWIOm81.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Laying out the basic outline. This is for a current non-TDM related project of which I'm a lead developer. The team had dispersed and I'm basically working alone in my spare time, but I'm too stubborn to just leave it. Things done right now: HUD Design (needs to be brought into the project), menu design (done), base directory structure (done), source code base (done), base ambient sounds (done). It's time to move onward! I'm planning to learn playing an instrument to make soundtrack for the project (I've got the basics of it), but also because it's a neat hobby.

This is the starting area, a stone bridge over mountain valley leading to a haunted, accursed fortress infested with undead and ruled by a husk of a war god. Right now, only the bridge is layed out.

c0a0_1.png

Edited by Snehk
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I posted anything here. I was busy with many things.

I decided to abandon the previous project (which was on GoldSource engine) for now, and focus on id Tech 4. I find working with this engine enjoyable, and I tried several engines in the meanwhile (including Godot). My team is gathering back, though still relatively small and busy. And even if it breaks up again, I'd still work alone. Development is one of my passions, and even small additions that don't push things too far are great fun for me. I'm not working on any commercial projects as well and don't care about cutting edge graphics.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone needs some custom tracks for their FM? I'm playing classical and bass, and maybe I could manage some time.

Edited by Snehk
  • Like 1