The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Sir Taffsalot's Sword (by grayman) (2018/3/18)

grayman

Sir Taffsalot's Sword  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment, fun duration, smooth flow, etc. vs Bugs, boredom, frustration, frame lag

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct for bad texturing, etc.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Story: Story and text, briefing, graphic storytelling

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

Thank you very much for this!

Haven't gotten far into this one but I must comment that you've either wittingly or unwittingly

captured some of the "mood" of Sir Taff's mission design with your color choices and large\bold

architecture.

I was gonna try an Iron Man run but it seems I keep getting busted so it's back to

saves for me...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

This was a nice little mission you were able to make in a short time! There are a few areas where the speed build shows, but in general it's very well made. It's a very nice tribute to Gary/Sir T!

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

What a great idea to tribute him. He was certainly a well known and valuable member of the community.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 1 month later...

Just finished this mission. I really liked it. Good, classic mansion mission.

I didn't quite know how to prevent the elite guard to spot the missing loot items, if there even was a way. It lead to a bit of a mess, because i couldn't know whether or not the guard will enter areas where i dropped the unconscious bodies.

I liked that there weren't too many guards and AI's. I find that, in a lot of missions, there's just loads of them, and they almost stumble over each other.

I liked the mansion, and the overall layout and design of the mission. There maybe could have been 1 or 2 alternative ways in. For example, i tried to shoot a rope arrow in the wooden parts of the upper floors, just to find that, on one side, the wood was too high, and the rope dropped short, and, on the other side, there was no windows to be opened. Would have been cool if you could have entered to one of those. But, minor niggle.

Liked the secrets, they were well to find, and the readables gave good hints.

Edited by chakkman

@chakkman,

Thanks for playing! Glad you liked it.

I, too, would've liked more entry points, but IIRC there aren't any 2.05 "open window" models that go with the windows I used.

And I toned down the noticeability of missing paintings, but in the end I decided that if things got too out of hand for some players, they could always adjust the "AI sight" setting.

• Like 2

Just thought i'd mention that i actually like it when guards notice missing loot. It's just that that particular guard which patrolled 3 floors was quite a menace, because he was alerted almost throughout the whole mission. :)

BTW, this is amazing for a speed build. Doesn't feel like it at all.

• Like 1

BTW, this is amazing for a speed build. Doesn't feel like it at all.

Thank Springheel for that, because w/o his architecture models, I might not even have considered creating the mission, since I wanted something that was timely.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A very nice, well executed mission. A few hard TDM crashes left me looking at the desktop, but these do not seem to be reproducible.

I never found the second of Taffsalot first editions. Where is it please?

One edition is in the library and one in the room below it.

Sorry to hear about the crashes. 2.05? 2.06 beta? 2.06 released?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I played any TDM. Very little time for gaming in general unfortunately. Decided to pick this one up and boy what a fun mission! I had a blast. Got curious about the name and thought it was a collaborative work while playing. Then I read the sad news.

But, yeah, awesome mission! great heist style, good challenge but not save/load incessantly hard, and no leaps of logic puzzles. Very engaging and satisfying.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was (and will be mostly) absent for a longer time and I just came here to say you guys a big Thanks! for this FM. It is one of the very best Mansion Missions I played so far and it is surely the utmost tribute to him you guys could've done! Very, very amazing work! I love this mission! :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Glad you enjoyed it!

I was adding a tribute area to WS4 when I thought, "Hey, why not a whole mission?".

With Springheel's architectural models and a terrific effort by the Beta testers, we knocked it out in record time, which was important, given the circumstances.

• Like 2

Glad you enjoyed it!

I was adding a tribute area to WS4 when I thought, Hey, why not a whole mission?.

With Springheels architectural models and a terrific effort by the Beta testers, we knocked it out in record time, which was important, given the circumstances.

Again my dearest congratulations and thank you for your answer. This present surely had made him smile on you out of happiness :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Awesome level, and a great tribute to the man. Loved the design. The house was beautifully lit. My only

gripe was it was a little easy on expert, could've done with some more guards inside I thought; but still

really enjoyed ghosting it.

Thanks, I'm sure Gary would be pleased!

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 2 months later...

Great mission. I love mansions that are warm and "lived in", yet maze like. It definitely presents itself as an adventure. Having guards turn on the lights you turn off has always been a laugh for me. I use it to map their patrol routine. The spider robot thingy at the beginning, however, looked discordant, like it didn't belong. I guess it's an homage to the mechanicals of Thief 2, which always stressed me out. There are a few other missions with these buggers, but so far, they seem to be benign. They just squeal a high pitched alarm but don't attack. Playing this mission, about half way through, I heard it's alarm sound from inside the mansion and had to get out on the third floor balcony to investigate. It wouldn't shut up so I doused it with a water arrow. It seemed confused, stopped squealing, then resumed its patrol , all quiet like.

Nice dedication at the end.

• 3 weeks later...

A beautiful little FM! Short and simple but great for its intended purpose. The gameplay is very smooth: Difficulty in avoiding the guards is much more easy (thanks to how the light switches are set) which made this more relaxing than your average FM, while you also don't get stuck looking for the solution as much as on other maps which gets very frustrating (the one secret area needed to progress is obvious enough to find). Visually everything is top quality to me... the mansion also feels very pretty and welcoming overall.