The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Shadows of Northdale ACT I - A Curious Mind by Goldwell (2018/03/23)

Goldwell

Yep, same here. The city hub made a great addition to the mission, reminded me a lot of TDS, some of the architecture, and Corbin's home did as well. The mission layout was just great, with many twists and turns, and then you ended up where you've been before, which is good. I also liked that the mission isn't as linear, and you can go where you want, and do the objectives you like to do first. The mission is also on the easier side, which i liked, as i mentioned elsewhere, i find most missions too difficult.

The performance issues i described above where gone when i booted TDM up another time. I really don't know why i sometimes have big lags, and sometimes all is running fluently. There's two small issues i noticed in the mission, one might be by design:

I got stuck in this position in the black market shop:

20180324180246_1okrbp.jpg

Also, i noticed that, when you enter the shop with the Halloween skeleton, and you go into the actual shop at the bottom level, there's a noise, and the skeleton is gone when you take a look again. And, when you want to go out of the window again, it is locked, and you have to pick the lock, even though it was unlocked when you enter the shop. I have a feeling that that is by design, but, i thought i'd ask anyway. ;)

Anyway, excellent mission, and i really had a lot of fun playing it through. Looking forward to the other missions of the campaign. :)

Thanks for playing!

I noticed that there is a very strange bug with performance in TDM and the only way I found to diagnose it is by running the game and making sure the menu has a constant 60fps, if it sits at around 30-40 fps then just keep closing TDM and reopening it until you get that constant 60 fps. That bug has actually been fixed in 2.06 however so it shouldn't be an issue for much longer.

In terms of your spoilers, getting stuck shouldn't have happened.. the other should have happened though ;)

I'm currently working on the second mission which shouldn't be too far off as it's mostly already built, I just have to do a few detail passes and then begin testing on it.

• Like 2

IMO things like that are worth investigating, e.g. this view looks simple, but there is more rendered than player actually sees.

obraz.png

In this case it's still below the DC limit, so the framerate doesn't go down, but it's worth watching, as low fps would make those climbing sections harder for players (as in any case of more "arcade" activities).

I noticed that there is a very strange bug with performance in TDM and the only way I found to diagnose it is by running the game and making sure the menu has a constant 60fps, if it sits at around 30-40 fps then just keep closing TDM and reopening it until you get that constant 60 fps. That bug has actually been fixed in 2.06 however so it shouldn't be an issue for much longer.

That's good to know, thanks for the heads up.

In terms of your spoilers, getting stuck shouldn't have happened.. the other should have happened though ;)

Ah, thought so. :)

The thing in the black market shop happened when i was moving ducked right in front of the grating. Shouldn't be too hard to reproduce, i guess.

That's good to know, thanks for the heads up.

Ah, thought so. :)

The thing in the black market shop happened when i was moving ducked right in front of the grating. Shouldn't be too hard to reproduce, i guess.

I'll take a look at that area in the second mission, because I think I know what's causing the problem.

Thanks!

A lovely mission, congratulations, Goldwell!

I've just finished it, but will have to go back to a save and play more, because I'm missing several secrets and some 3,000 loot...

I have a couple of questions:

- At the Thieves' Guild, there's a readable about a heist being planned at... Hendry's (?) place. I couldn't find the location. Is it a reference to something in a later mission, and if not, then where is it?

- Near one of the exits from the Thieves' Guild, there's a balcony belonging to a not!Hammerite church. Across from, there, there's a wooden balcony with a small potted tree. The door there is unpickable and I can't find the key. Where is it?

- In the first section of the city, there's a drunkard who mutters something about a missing thief and a well, I couldn't make it all out. I could only find a single well, a covered one in the same area, but can't do anything with it. Is this a red herring, or what?

- Could someone prod me in the direction of... whatever huge and well-hidden loot might be responsible for me coming up a taffing 3,000 short?

A lovely mission, congratulations, Goldwell!

I've just finished it, but will have to go back to a save and play more, because I'm missing several secrets and some 3,000 loot...

I have a couple of questions:

- At the Thieves' Guild, there's a readable about a heist being planned at... Hendry's (?) place. I couldn't find the location. Is it a reference to something in a later mission, and if not, then where is it?

- Near one of the exits from the Thieves' Guild, there's a balcony belonging to a not!Hammerite church. Across from, there, there's a wooden balcony with a small potted tree. The door there is unpickable and I can't find the key. Where is it?

- In the first section of the city, there's a drunkard who mutters something about a missing thief and a well, I couldn't make it all out. I could only find a single well, a covered one in the same area, but can't do anything with it. Is this a red herring, or what?

- Could someone prod me in the direction of... whatever huge and well-hidden loot might be responsible for me coming up a taffing 3,000 short?

Glad you enjoyed it!

In terms of your questions when building this world I didnt want it to feel like the world was built specifically for the player, just that the player is exploring the world.

So naturally in a thieves guild they would be planning and talking about heists, sometimes readables gives you hints and other times it doesnt. You have to use your best judgment to work out what leads to follow. And as for the drunk guy well drunks arent entirely reliable so what he was rambling about was partly true but mostly a drunken rant.

There is a special book to pull, but maybe he got the color wrong. Did it involve the thieves guild? Who knows. Again its all just little interactions to make the world feel like it has existed before the player came along.

As for the balcony you can find the key inside Walters office. You can only get up there by using a rope arrow from Jordan Wivertons balcony and climbing up there.

Hope that helps to clarify things :)

Another question:

In the mission statistics screen after finishing the mission, it said that i gathered about 1900 of 4000+ gold, but i already put the 1500 in Corbin's safe to complete the objective with the drinking owes. And i got the 1900 loot after that. Bug in the statistics (because it doesn't account for the 1500), or did i really miss 2000+ loot?

Another question:

In the mission statistics screen after finishing the mission, it said that i gathered about 1900 of 4000+ gold, but i already put the 1500 in Corbin's safe to complete the objective with the drinking owes. And i got the 1900 loot after that. Bug in the statistics (because it doesn't account for the 1500), or did i really miss 2000+ loot?

You know what... I actually have no idea!

I guess it depends if the game has a seperate counter for total loot acquired in the mission or if it just pulls the final tally when the mission is complete.

I havent actually tested that though but I am curious now.

• Like 1

Hello Goldwell,

Thank you very much for this mission. Very thiefish and very doomy, great work!

If you go on like that, I will burn your work on a DVD, put a label on it with appropriate artwork, and then I will display it on my video games shelf with other heroic performances!

I have fnished the prologue last night (it needed that special atmosphere) and I have one question:

Can I proceed without shooting an arrow at the lever? I did not buy one at the shop.

Have a nice Sunday!

Hello Goldwell,

Thank you very much for this mission. Very thiefish and very doomy, great work!

If you go on like that, I will burn your work on a DVD, put a label on it with appropriate artwork, and then I will display it on my video games shelf with other heroic performances!

I have fnished the prologue last night (it needed that special atmosphere) and I have one question:

Can I proceed without shooting an arrow at the lever? I did not buy one at the shop.

Have a nice Sunday!

Hey JackFarmer,

Thanks for playing! That's a very kind compliment too :)

As for the question

Yes there are two other ways into the thieves guild and there are a couple of arrows laying around the mission too.

As for the balcony you can find the key inside Walters office. You can only get up there by using a rope arrow from Jordan Wivertons balcony and climbing up there.

Hope that helps to clarify things :)

I have to ask for some more help with this specific part. I'm standing exactly on the balcony. It's the place with signs of struggle, and Corbus says something like "this must be Wiverton's balcony" the first time I get there. You're saying I should, I quote:

[use] a rope arrow from Jordan Wivertons balcony and climbing up there.[/size]

However, I cannot see ANY rope-able surfaces here anywhere within straight line of sight from the balcony! The closest rope-able thing is the wooden balcony to the door mentioned before, but that's the wrong side of the door. Where exactly am I supposed to shoot the rope arrow?

Edited by Premier

I have to ask for some more help with this specific part. I'm standing exactly on the balcony. It's the place with signs of struggle, and Corbus says something like "this must be Wiverton's balcony" the first time I get there. You're saying I should, I quote:

[use] a rope arrow from Jordan Wivertons balcony and climbing up there.[/size]

However, I cannot see ANY rope-able surfaces here anywhere within straight line of sight from the balcony! The closest rope-able thing is the wooden balcony to the door mentioned before, but that's the wrong side of the door. Where exactly am I supposed to shoot the rope arrow?

If you look carefully there is a transparent window with a wooden frame, shoot your rope arrow into that and then you can get up there, use the balcony with the locked door to get down without hurting yourself and keeping your rope arrow. The key to that balcony is inside this room.

uttVQ0S.jpg

Well, I finished it. As with others it looks like I missed a ton of loot, but I put that down to how the map is designed (including the 1500 put into the safe), so it didn't bother me that much. Got 4 out of 7 secrets as well, which was nice. As with Premier though, I needed that little bit of help finding the window outside the balcony. Rather sneaky design in some ways, because once I knew where to look it's pretty damn obvious it's an actual window and not decorative, but I just didn't notice it until pointed out.

Anyways, great mission overall. It's the kinda of mission that shows what a TDM veteran (and a group of dedicated helpers) can do.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Yeah there are a few hidden areas around the map that require a sharp eye and some vertical rope arrow skills (thats Skackys influence starting to rub off on me). But in the couple of letsplays Ive seen most people just breeze past them unless theyre really exploring and taking it slow.

Id be very surprised if someone actually gets all secrets and finds all of the loot.

Wow, this is a fresh mission with lots of verticality (sometimes i reached the end of the world though) and traditionall handmade geometry. I feeled the love that you put into the mission.

There is a bit of keyhunting but it seems to be optional.

Liked the shop and loved wiping out the thieves guild (but had to come back to get the leader and never found their sewers access).

Never found a keyhole matching the gilded key looking like it would belong to a bank safe.

Also did not found the mage tower or any other use for that magical disk.

Player voice was a bit low on volume although i play with it maxed out and other volumes at 75% (i play on 2.06, so that may be a beta bug - as well as some flickering where scroll textures are attached to doors).

Also did not find all the secrets - wich is fine because i traditionally only find all the loot if the author has a low loot hiding skill.

Had lots of fun playing it on hardest.

Wow, this is a fresh mission with lots of verticality (sometimes i reached the end of the world though) and traditionall handmade geometry. I feeled the love that you put into the mission.

There is a bit of keyhunting but it seems to be optional.

Liked the shop and loved wiping out the thieves guild (but had to come back to get the leader and never found their sewers access).

Never found a keyhole matching the gilded key looking like it would belong to a bank safe.

Also did not found the mage tower or any other use for that magical disk.

Player voice was a bit low on volume although i play with it maxed out and other volumes at 75% (i play on 2.06, so that may be a beta bug - as well as some flickering where scroll textures are attached to doors).

Also did not find all the secrets - wich is fine because i traditionally only find all the loot if the author has a low loot hiding skill.

Had lots of fun playing it on hardest.

The player mentions via narration that the gold key and the mage tower are things he will visit tomorrow night.

This mission is the first in a campaign so the main story arc is spread over a few levels.

Hi Goldwell. Thank you for the awesome mission, I really enjoyed it. I've been a Thief fan most of my adult life and it's missions like this that really take me back to that feeling of immersion I experienced when I first played The Dark Project.

I'm really glad you're working on a new campaign, especially at such high quality. There are a lot of little things I loved about this mission:

1) Side quests! Those contracts were great. They really added to the feeling of a lived-in environment, filled with petty jealousies and shady characters.

2) The intro, the voice acting, and the level design were all neat. Much appreciated.

3) The little gags...

The skeleton running away when you take the candle maker's money, the eggplant with the glasses and hat in the lady's bureau etc. I love that kind of stuff :-)

All in all, I just want to say thank you for all of the effort that went into making that. I love that there are still people creating TDM missions.

If you care for some things I believe could use improvement, then I'll state them here. I don't really have a right to be a critic since I could never create something so awesome, but there are one or two little things that might just smooth the edges, so to speak...

1) The loot bug, obviously. The final statistics only count the loot acquired after placing the 1,500 in the safe, so the final tally is way off. It doesn't include the money you banked in the safe.

2) In some areas you can accidentally find yourself in a spot that breaks the immersion by revealing the empty gameworld beyond the rendered faces. One example is above the fence's shop. I saw the ladder leading up to his home behind him, so I went outside and shot a rope arrow into the roof of a nearby building and climbed all the way up. That clearly was not something you wanted the player to see (the missing roof of the fence's shop), so maybe make it impossible for someone to rope up there?

3) This is just my opinion, obviously, but I did not like that there are two paths to Wiverton's house, because it broke the game for me: I went left from Corbin's balcony first, discovered the thieves den, knocked them all out and dumped them in the training room. Then, when the new objective appears, I was now backtracking to an area I'd already "cleared," to discover the woman thief wandering about. Which implies she went to the training area to put the thief's hood on the hook, thereby stepping over the unconscious bodies of her posse, and it didn't phase her? It just felt to me like going right from Corbin's balcony should have been the only way to go, so that you "discover" the thieves den after the new objective pops up. That way you arrive to a thieves den you haven't already explored and "cleared." I guess that's debatable though. I was just a little annoyed that the thief woman wasn't too bothered about her entire posse being missing after she comes out of the room.

4) I guess it's silly of me, but it annoyed me that the luxury apartments are on the other side of a canal that you have to leap/swim across. I mean, does Nicholas Baron and the posh lady also leap across a canal to get into their luxury apartments? There should be a bridge there. It doesn't make sense to have luxury apartments in which the only way to gain entry is via a death-defying leap over cold, dirty water. It would be a great location for an inconspicuous hideout, though :-)

Anyway, as I say, I have no right to criticize. I still loved that mission and I can't wait for the next installments in the campaign. Again, thank you very much for all of the hard work you've put into it. I enjoyed it immensely :-)

Edit: Oh, one more thing...

So, that builder entrance that mentions the buzzer and taking deliveries by day? Well, everything about the way you climb up to that hammer statue above seems to suggest that you want people to explore up there: I looked up from the buzzer to see a lit balcony high above. It just looks like a place I should visit. So I shot a rope arrow into the nearby roof, and low and behold, the rope is just out of reach after it hangs down. So I wonder if there's a box I can carry there to get a little higher? Well, right next door in the packing area of the warehouse there is indeed a perfect box for the task (the secret with the urn). So I carry the box back to the rope, and it's just the right height to allow me to jump up to the rope and climb up to the hammer statue. Everything about that series of events feels like a calculated puzzle on your part, and makes the player feel satisfied at having worked it out. But then you get to the hammer balcony and there's nothing up there, making you realize that you were never meant to climb to that spot. But it should be a place for a thinking thief to climb to, and there should be a secret or loot up there, because everything about getting up there in the first place feels like a calculated puzzle.

Edited by Kerry000
  • Like 1

Hi Goldwell. Thank you for the awesome mission, I really enjoyed it. I've been a Thief fan most of my adult life and it's missions like this that really take me back to that feeling of immersion I experienced when I first played The Dark Project.

I'm really glad you're working on a new campaign, especially at such high quality. There are a lot of little things I loved about this mission:

1) Side quests! Those contracts were great. They really added to the feeling of a lived-in environment, filled with petty jealousies and shady characters.

2) The intro, the voice acting, and the level design were all neat. Much appreciated.

3) The little gags...

The skeleton running away when you take the candle maker's money, the eggplant with the glasses and hat in the lady's bureau etc. I love that kind of stuff :-)

All in all, I just want to say thank you for all of the effort that went into making that. I love that there are still people creating TDM missions.

If you care for some things I believe could use improvement, then I'll state them here. I don't really have a right to be a critic since I could never create something so awesome, but there are one or two little things that might just smooth the edges, so to speak...

1) The loot bug, obviously. The final statistics only count the loot acquired after placing the 1,500 in the safe, so the final tally is way off. It doesn't include the money you banked in the safe.

2) In some areas you can accidentally find yourself in a spot that breaks the immersion by revealing the empty gameworld beyond the rendered faces. One example is above the fence's shop. I saw the ladder leading up to his home behind him, so I went outside and shot a rope arrow into the roof of a nearby building and climbed all the way up. That clearly was not something you wanted the player to see (the missing roof of the fence's shop), so maybe make it impossible for someone to rope up there?

3) This is just my opinion, obviously, but I did not like that there are two paths to Wiverton's house, because it broke the game for me: I went left from Corbin's balcony first, discovered the thieves den, knocked them all out and dumped them in the training room. Then, when the new objective appears, I was now backtracking to an area I'd already "cleared," to discover the woman thief wandering about. Which implies she went to the training area to put the thief's hood on the hook, thereby stepping over the unconscious bodies of her posse, and it didn't phase her? It just felt to me like going right from Corbin's balcony should have been the only way to go, so that you "discover" the thieves den after the new objective pops up. That way you arrive to a thieves den you haven't already explored and "cleared." I guess that's debatable though. I was just a little annoyed that the thief woman wasn't too bothered about her entire posse being missing after she comes out of the room.

4) I guess it's silly of me, but it annoyed me that the luxury apartments are on the other side of a canal that you have to leap/swim across. I mean, does Nicholas Baron and the posh lady also leap across a canal to get into their luxury apartments? There should be a bridge there. It doesn't make sense to have luxury apartments in which the only way to gain entry is via a death-defying leap over cold, dirty water. It would be a great location for an inconspicuous hideout, though :-)

Anyway, as I say, I have no right to criticize. I still loved that mission and I can't wait for the next installments in the campaign. Again, thank you very much for all of the hard work you've put into it. I enjoyed it immensely :-)

Im glad you had a great time and were able to respark those old thief feelings :)

As for the criticisms

Ill explain some of the design decisions that went behind what you experienced and how I interpreted the world.

1 - Unfortunately I was only made aware of this bug after the mission was released, introducing the ingame fence shop and different than usual objectives tends to break other unexpected things because youre stepping outside of the normal boundaries of the tdm world. I thought we had thoroughly tested this but there are always a few bugs that slip away, even after crushing over 150 of them during the testing phase.

2 - That is totally on me, this is my first mission using rope arrows as usually I avoided for the reasons that you mentioned. However as I build more missions with that level of verticality in mind I will keep that in mind too. Its tough giving the player tools and freedom to do as they please but I think its a worse experience if youre limited to only doing exactly what I design and makes it a linear experience too.

3 - That sort of makes me laugh because originally in the design of the thieves highway there was only one way through, you couldnt get to the thieves guild until you had visited Lord Wivertons apartment. It was an interesting design challenge to make it non linear and more open because then I was faced with the challenge of what if the player visits the thieves guild before his place. It wouldnt make sense for the player to be searching through there and knowing theyre linked to his murder without having read the clue first.

So I thought well a happy compromise is to have just the thieves guild masters room locked and then you had to steal her key which will only happen when she returns back to the base. I guess I hadnt anticipated someone doing something like what you did and could have resolved that by moving the hood upstairs but it is what it is now. More food for thought in the future for sure.

4 - The nobles dont goto that part of town. Theyre separated because they dont want to be around the commoners there unless they absolutely have to (such as when Lord Julian has a party). However there are other ways over there such as the bayview estates which that moat leads to.

They use their boats to get around Northdale and feel that the moat acts as both a literal and a metaphoric barrier between them and the commoners.

I really appreciate the praise and the constructive criticisms. Ive learned a lot from reading your review, so thank you :)

Im glad you had a great time and were able to respark those old thief feelings :)

As for the criticisms

Ill explain some of the design decisions that went behind what you experienced and how I interpreted the world.

1 - Unfortunately I was only made aware of this bug after the mission was released, introducing the ingame fence shop and different than usual objectives tends to break other unexpected things because youre stepping outside of the normal boundaries of the tdm world. I thought we had thoroughly tested this but there are always a few bugs that slip away, even after crushing over 150 of them during the testing phase.

2 - That is totally on me, this is my first mission using rope arrows as usually I avoided for the reasons that you mentioned. However as I build more missions with that level of verticality in mind I will keep that in mind too. Its tough giving the player tools and freedom to do as they please but I think its a worse experience if youre limited to only doing exactly what I design and makes it a linear experience too.

3 - That sort of makes me laugh because originally in the design of the thieves highway there was only one way through, you couldnt get to the thieves guild until you had visited Lord Wivertons apartment. It was an interesting design challenge to make it non linear and more open because then I was faced with the challenge of what if the player visits the thieves guild before his place. It wouldnt make sense for the player to be searching through there and knowing theyre linked to his murder without having read the clue first.

So I thought well a happy compromise is to have just the thieves guild masters room locked and then you had to steal her key which will only happen when she returns back to the base. I guess I hadnt anticipated someone doing something like what you did and could have resolved that by moving the hood upstairs but it is what it is now. More food for thought in the future for sure.

4 - The nobles dont goto that part of town. Theyre separated because they dont want to be around the commoners there unless they absolutely have to (such as when Lord Julian has a party). However there are other ways over there such as the bayview estates which that moat leads to.

They use their boats to get around Northdale and feel that the moat acts as both a literal and a metaphoric barrier between them and the commoners.

I really appreciate the praise and the constructive criticisms. Ive learned a lot from reading your review, so thank you :)

Ah, that makes sense, regarding the canal. They get around using boats, like a private driveway? Got it :-)

My criticisms are minor, to be honest. I still loved the mission.

Did you see the edit I made regarding the door with the buzzer?

This one...

So, that builder entrance that mentions the buzzer and taking deliveries by day? Well, everything about the way you climb up to that hammer statue above seems to suggest that you want people to explore up there: I looked up from the buzzer to see a lit balcony high above. It just looks like a place I should visit. So I shot a rope arrow into the nearby roof, and low and behold, the rope is just out of reach after it hangs down. So I wonder if there's a box I can carry there to get a little higher? Well, right next door in the packing area of the warehouse there is indeed a perfect box for the task (the secret with the urn). So I carry the box back to the rope, and it's just the right height to allow me to jump up to the rope and climb up to the hammer statue. Everything about that series of events feels like a calculated puzzle on your part, and makes the player feel satisfied at having worked it out. But then you get to the hammer balcony and there's nothing up there, making you realize that you were never meant to climb to that spot. But it should be a place for a thinking thief to climb to, and there should be a secret or loot up there, because everything about getting up there in the first place feels like a calculated puzzle.

Edited by Kerry000

Ah, that makes sense, regarding the canal. They get around using boats, like a private driveway? Got it :-)

My criticisms are minor, to be honest. I still loved the mission.

Did you see the edit I made regarding the door with the buzzer?

This one...

All i'll say about that is that remember that part of the mission is a city hub sort of area that the player will revisit throughout the campaign, it changes each mission and new locations open up, a secret spot you find on night 1 that reveals nothing might reveal something on another night ;)

So when ACT II is out, be sure to check out such curious places and you might be rewarded.

Hehe,

i wondered about the canal too. Lady Bella likes to take a swim every now and then when she comes home? :) I thought that maybe a bridge would have been worthy there.

BTW, on the other side of town, near the black market shop, there were some other appartments drawn into the map, with a "kitchen entrance". I checked everything out (i think, but, couldn't find any entrance. All i found was a warehouse, which i accessed with a rope arrow, and broke in through the windows. (I actually jumped down in order to retrieve the rope arrow after that, lol)

Edited by chakkman

Hehe,

i wondered about the canal too. Lady Bella likes to take a swim every now and then when she comes home? :) I thought that maybe a bridge would have been worthy there.

BTW, on the other side of town, near the black market shop, there were some other appartments drawn into the map, with a "kitchen entrance". I checked everything out (i think, but, couldn't find any entrance. All i found was a warehouse, which i accessed with a rope arrow, and broke in through the windows. (I actually jumped down in order to retrieve the rope arrow after that, lol)

In regards to the office in Shadow Alley, you should have grabbed the key on the table and taken the elevator down and gone out the backdoor there, I put that there so you wouldn't have to harm yourself and keep your rope arrow too.

Also those apartments aren't featured until mission 3, the kitchen entrance is to the right of Evelyn's Apothecary, it's a side door that leads to a kitchen entrance in one of the estates in the Bayview Estates.

Alright, thanks for telling. :)

Actually, i found the key, and first went out the door from the office/warehouse, but then i wanted to keep the only rope arrow i bought at the black market store, so i went up again, and jumped down. Didn't take much damage though, and there was enough food in the mission to heal myself up again. :)