The Dark Mod Forums

Game Generes - We Ever Going To See Some New Ones?

oDDity

If guards had to be real players, the Thief to guard ratio in the city would be about 10/1. There's be no obstacle to thieving, you'd just rampage about trying to stuff as much gold into your pockets as possible. Being able to hire NPC guards and servants (to make health giving food) would be a must for the owner of a large mansion. Of course, if you were part of a guild the HQ would most likely be well protected by players, but if you wanted to work independantly you'd need some other protection.

But wouldn't the AI guards be woefully rubbish, leaving practically anyone open to easy robbery of all their property?

But wouldn't the AI guards be woefully rubbish, leaving practically anyone open to easy robbery of all their property?

It'd probably be about as difficult as an expert mission in our single player campaign. That is, robbing a large mansion would take a few hours, you couldn't save, and you'd probably get caught and killed. Players that own property could choose the placement of their guards, so there'd be less secret ungarded entrances to choose from. Guard placement in Thief missions are designed so that people can break in. If players placed guards with the purpose of making sure no one broke in it'd be much harder. You might need to pair up with another thief; one to distract the guards and draw them away while the other sneaks past to steal the loot. Also, much of the player's loot would be invested in the building itself, which couldn't be picked up and stolen, so it would be impossible to completely bankrupt a player with a mass raid.

You could already do this on a very simple level by using a central database of mansions and then making simple multiplayer levels in D3 (whereby you enter the game at a chosen mansion, alone vs guards or with other thieves), the outcome of which alters the database, ie. how much loot you took away with you, etc.

I think there is a limit to types of games, so I don't really expect to much new types. IMO it is similar with stories. There are only a limited amount of plottypes and they all are done already. This is not to be comapred with inventions, because inventions rely on technology and how to use it, so there is much more chance to invent some new devices, then coming up with new plot- or gametypes.

Gerhard

I agree that a lot of the innovation will probably come from new peripherals / input interfaces. Altho sometimes you have to put two and two together. Like DDR for example. Those mats that react when you step on them had been around for quite some time (Nintendo olympics anyone? :) ), and rhythm/timing games had been around for some time. However, the combination of the two didn't become popular until some innovation from Japan allowed us to stomp/jump rhythmically on a big mat, making more of an ass of ourselves than we ever could with just hand controls.

You've never played Thievery UT have you? Yes? Not properly then I guess :)

On our 3 player games, one person is always the guard, and they manage the other slew of AI guards with the cool commands you can give them when you talk to them. Eg. Patrol here, follow me, guard here, guard area X etc.

Putting them at important choke points, running patrols in the right area... damn I am so good at being a guard captain that my 2 brothers decided it was time to at least lower the AI difficulty since they'd never won a single game since I started being the guard :)

Yeah, you'd have to place guards in your mansion; it would still be a challenge.

It's an interesting idea.

With the system I dreamt up above, each player would have a mansion, with all guard positions stored in the database. They could log in and move the guards around ingame, by dropping waypoints or whatever, then save the state of their mansion, and other players could come in and try to rob it.

Not much fun in it's most basic state, but still a possible (and difficult) abuse of what we're doing here.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I am researching for an essay on the future of the games industry (my last assignment till I can start work on the mod again :)) and I found this page which I think all of you in this thread will really appreciate.

http://www.pcgameworld.com/article.php/id/316/

When I read it, I remembered this thread.

Yes, just what I want to see, in RPGs especially. NoO lame characters with a list of dialogue to pick from which has been written by some game complany employee, and is never wha tyou want to say, but inmstead, program the ai with no dialogue, just a personality and knowlege of the world around them, and let you chat with them on the fly in realtime.

It'll be a while yet, though.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

They have, I saw it on a science program here in the UK called Tomorrow's World. THey set an experiment up with 10 people chatting on computers to 9 people in another room and a computer program. THe 10 people took turns chatting with everyone and had to work out which was the computer. Some of them were fooled.

This was 2 or 3 years ago.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

They have, I saw it on a science program here in the UK called Tomorrow's World. THey set an experiment up with 10 people chatting on computers to 9 people in another room and a computer program. THe 10 people took turns chatting with everyone and had to work out which was the computer. Some of them were fooled.

This was 2 or 3 years ago.

They do that every year; have been for a long time. The programs are clever, but invariably simply variants on the old "Eliza" trick. Fooling a handful of people isn't profound.

Problem is, the Eliza trick only works up to a certain threshold. Past that point, the very fact that the AI is acting realistically clues you into the fact that it is, in fact, artificial.

Case in point: you're playing deathmatch. With good bots, you usually can't tell whether or not you're up against a human or the computer. Therefore, it passes the Eliza test. But take it further. During the match, one opponent stops, shrugs, tosses down his weapon, puts his hands in his pockets, and walks off whistling. Unless these have been coded in for the player to do beforehand, you know it's AI. The irony is, within the virtual world, its actions are entirely realistic.

The beauty of it all is that, one day, our current situation will reverse itself: single-player gaming will surpass multiplayer gaming in terms of realism.

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

A young man dressed in a simple vest enters the tavern, and approaches an old man smoking a pipe at the bar. The young man says "Good day kind sir, I am new to this part of the land, and am in dire need of a horse. Perchance thou could direct me to the the nearest stable?" The old man turns to him, and removing his pipe, gives the perculiar reply; "nah u suk lamer". And then, as a curious afterthought, he adds "hahahahahahahah".

:) Yes, I can see how single player gaming could be more immersive than multiplayer in some ways.