The Dark Mod Forums

TDM crashed when trying to load any mission (Win10)

SilentKlD

Good day TDM community,

I have just downloaded TDM_update and got the latest 2.05 game; everything was successful. However, the game crashes whenever I try to run any mission. I do not receive any error message, just attempt to close application.

Please note that before posting here, I went through 24 pages of tech support topics first, and tried all solutions that were suggested there. However, they did not help me. In addition, I think previous solutions might have been relevant to previous versions/OS, but we are talking about Windows 10 with its own quirks and headaches to keep in mind while trying to run this game.

I have attached my latest attempt .cfg file. This particular file might not contain ALL attempts I made on previous files, since I deleted and reinstalled the game several times.

My system is as follows

Windows 10 x64

16gb ram

Nvidia geforce 970m 3gb (specifically made in settings to used this dedicated card vs integrated)

i7-4810MQ 2.8GHz

This rig can definitely handle everything TDM can throw at it, so I am not a fan of the idea to use compressed settings, when I would like to run to its full potential.

I tried removing read-only setting from darkmod folder (installed at d:\adrkmod), but have the infamous win10 issue there read-only resets every time I apply changes. However, I have read in your FAQ that users were able to run the game in windows 10, so I'm not sure if that's the issue.

In addition to that, I'm not sure how to debug the game properly, so I'm not sure what kind of error the game returns when it crashes.

I have made a lot of research and attempts, since I really want to play the game, so I would appreciate any help on making the game successfully run on Win10!

Thank you very much in advance! Please let me know if I can provide any other info, which would help to resolve the issue.

darkmodconfig.txt

Edited by SilentKlD

No issues here at all running TDM on Windows 10... i have a feeling that it's something graphic card related in your case. I don't really have a specific solution, but, you could try to test some other graphics settings, e.g. change the anti-aliasing option, and the other ones, to see if it works with different settings.

Did you have to modify any settings in .cfg file after you downloaded the game?

if you have touched this file, deleted and rerun the updater to create a new one. Also makesure you have full read/writer permissiong to the Darkmod folder and sub-folders and files. And lastly I assume your running the latest driver for your GTX 970M..?

Edited by Bikerdude

Biker,

Yes, driver version is the latest (through geforce experience), I deleted .cfg file and rerun updater.

As for permissions, all user groups have modify and write permissions, in addition to read, execute, etc. Still, same result. I even tried switching to integrated card, but no result.

Is there a way to see what kind of error causes crashes? Would've been so much quicker to resolve, I feel.

Stumpy,

Could you please elaborate, what do you mean?

Edited by SilentKlD

Windows 10 event viewer might show what is causing the crash, its accessed by right clicking on the start icon (4 square windows) and selecting from there, or if you can't right click then its left click on start icon, go down to Windows Administrative Tools click on it and event viewer is in there.

if you run event viewer then the crash might be reported in windows logs, Application.

Anyone who had installed TDM on pure Windows 10, were there any steps you have taken beyond installing the game?

Lots of user are running windows 10 and able to play TDM

Windows 10 event viewer might show what is causing the crash, its accessed by right clicking on the start icon (4 square windows) and selecting from there, or if you can't right click then its left click on start icon, go down to Windows Administrative Tools click on it and event viewer is in there.

If you want a direct hand with this, drop me a PM.

I run tdm on windows 10 and dont have any problems, Silentkid.
And i hope you set the write permissions, using the security settings tab of the folder
And seeing you system specs, i agree with chakkman and suspect the videodriver files/settings.
For a better debugging purposes, we need to see some content of logs.

As a starting point, post the content of the darkmod.log-file you already have, in a spoiler-tag.
first check if there is a darkmod.log-file in your tdm folder.
if so, open the file with notepad and copy its content to this topic in a spoiler-tag.

Generating logs
Then please generate some logs for us, by tdm with application arguments?
The Following commands automatically starts TDM, does something with it and creates a log.
(Tip: use my tdm launcher to load TDM executable with the arguments)

• +gfxinfo +condump log-videodriver.txt +quit
    please posts content log-videodriver.txt in a spoiler
  • install the trainingsmission, quit tdm and start the launcher and run tdm using arguments:
    +condump log-trainingmaprunning.txt +map training_mission +condump log-trainingmaprunning.txt +quit
    please posts content log-trainingmaprunning.txt in a spoiler

(See wiki article: Debuggin _TDM systemerrors)

Installing TDM

• Remove the darkmod log file.
  • Backup the tdm-updater and darkmod.cfg. And remove the original darkmod.cfg
  • Set read and write permissions to the darkmod the folder manually.
    Or run the gui installer and during the installation select the existing tdm folder in the installer to install tdm to.
  • After the installation, the installer starts the updater. close the updater.
  • copy the backuped updater. overwrite the existing updater.
  • run the updater and click on continue (to verify the files)
  • end

Wiki Articles
We have also a wiki. Please see the following wiki articles, for more info.
About nvidia.
http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Performance_Tweaks#Driver_Considerations
http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=nvidia&go=Go
etc.
http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Installer_and_Manual_Installation
http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Installation
http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Debugging_TDM_systemerrors

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

if you run event viewer then the crash might be reported in windows logs, Application.

To me, those eventviewer applicationlogs and dumpfiles doesnt give the user not enough content to debug. Only the logs that tdm generates, are sufficient.

The messages and files that windows generates, shows only that the applications hangs and gives the application error dump location.

And in those dump files only shows what os-systemfiles are loaded.

as a test, crash your tdm and look into the debug files:

create a application crash by running the following command-line in the tdm console: developer 1; crash;

note the crash time.

Close the application crash popup message, then open the windows eventviewer. select the application-section.

Look for the application error message at crash time and information message that comes after the crash message.

location for applications dumpfolders: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive

Inside the dumpfolder you can find some files you can open with notepad.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Hi Chak,

Did you have to modify any settings in .cfg file after you downloaded the game?

I also tried turning off anti-aliasing and minimize filtering, no results.

Nope. No modifications at all. I only changed very few graphics settings, like, anti-aliasing setting, activated Bloom, and 1 or 2 other things.

I was able to run it today!

I accidentally stumbled upon this post http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/17496-freezelockup-when-loading-levels/ and from it, I disabled my antivirus and firewall for 15min. I was able to load the mission after that. Performance tweaking is another different story.

It looks like AV whitelisted Darkmod, since I didn't have to disable AV every time I want to play the game!

Thank you everyone! Not sure if that was included in installation tutorial, never thought that would be an issue.

Nice to hear this sollution works for you.

For future references,

Would you be so kind to generate and post a log with your av activated (where tdm doesnt load the mission).

(see instruction to generate a log, when running the trainingsmission)
please posts content log-trainingmaprunning.txt in a spoiler

And could you give us the name of your av?

Thanks.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!