The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.6.0 pre-release testing

Here's the DR 2.6.0pre5 build for motivated mappers to test. It doesn't contain many new features, but it's fixing a couple of problems and improves the model exporter. As usual, a bit of refactoring and improvement has been happening under the hood, but this shouldn't have any negative impact.

Windows Installer x64: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ss5eJVIwy5BLLutjF6-3qRa2N2Xpa1Oa
Windows Portable x64: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dLGydgOEvv15T_KTYUbPOJ7RBAAn1Sz-

Linux folks need to compile this stuff from source, instructions for various distributions are on the wiki.

If you happen to run into a crash, please record a crashdump: How to record a crashdump

Changes since 2.5.0 can be seen on the Bugtracker changelog, important stuff includes so far:

- Add a stopwatch tracking your mapping time
- Make The Model Exporter Respect The "skin" Spawnarg On Export
- Export patches and lights/func_statics to OBJ
- Fixed: Particle Editor Doesn't Save Colour/Fade Colour
- Fixed: Re-exporting .ase models screws up their normals
- Fixed: Export Selected as .LWO Model: Exported models loose smooth shading after export.
- Fixed: DR shouldn't write *.darkradiant files when creating a prefab
- Fixed: CSG Make Room operator does not fill the room on 3-edge prism case
- Cleanup VC++ projects and settings

- Refactor Frontend Renderer (remove the state machine part)

- Fixed: DR doesn't show readable background image changes
- Fixed a syntax error in OBJ export script
- Fixed: Grid size number format in status bar is showing unnecessary post-comma zeros
- Fixed: Undo after changing func_static entity classname results in lost child primitives
- Fixed: Changing entity class from the spawnargs moves it to the Active Layer
- Remove legacy "Convert to ASE..." script

Changes since 2.6.0pre1

- Added Favourites feature to MediaBrowser tab (see http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19397-feature-request-favorite-folders/)

Changes since 2.6.0pre2

- Fixed brush faces rendering as highlighted even though they're not selected

- Fixed light wireframes drawing in the wrong colour (red) when selected

- Adjusted ModelSurface script interface to include getActiveMaterial() method

- Fixed Linux compilation

Changes since 2.6.0pre3

- Fixed crash at startup when "Load last map at startup" option is enabled

Changes since 2.6.0pre4

- Fixed DR not remembering location of child windows when placed on any non-primary monitor

Thanks for testing, as always!

Edited by greebo

Add a stopwatch tracking your mapping time

Make The Model Exporter Respect The "skin" Spawnarg On Export, Fixed: Re-exporting .ase models screws up their normals

Export patches and lights/func_statics to OBJ

Fixed: DR shouldn't write *.darkradiant files when creating a prefab

Ooh interesting.

Thanks for doing this Greebo

hmm So what does that allow mappers to do? could I creat an .OBJ model with an embedded light source? and is said light source configurable in DR?

Always nice to have less clutter/

hmm So what does that allow mappers to do? could I creat an .OBJ model with an embedded light source? and is said light source configurable in DR?

One use case I can imagine is designing light textures (will come in handy for cubemap lights)

or baked lighting in Blender (etc) so that you can easily get the look you want then export the texture, unwrap UV's (if baking to a surface decal) etc.

Especially useful if you are gonna bake bounce lighting to a texture and use that as a decal for simulated Global Illumination.

Old tutorial on wayback: http://www.fuzzpopfx.com/tutorials/doom3/

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Oooh, exporting other entities in obj is a great idea, even if they're shapes or helpers. It will allow e.g. lighting your map in offline renderer, like Vray for example. I sometimes use that trick to find interesting lighing just with GI and sun/sky settings. I could do that with brushes already, but having models included in that is much more useful. I use brushes only to seal the models off from the void, so the models actually shape the space I create. Thanks for that Greebo!

Edited by Judith

Yes, the requested feature was to export a geometric representation of light entities. OBJ itself doesn't support lights per se, so the request was to export placeholders for convenience when working on the scene in modeling apps.

Yes, the requested feature was to export a geometric representation of light entities. OBJ itself doesn't support lights per se, so the request was to export placeholders for convenience when working on the scene in modeling apps.

So the light isn't baked onto the models geometry? It's just for orientation when continue to work on it in another application?

Awesome work btw. :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Here's the DR 2.6.0pre1 build for motivated mappers to test. It doesn't contain many new features, but it's fixing a couple of problems and improves the model exporter. As usual, a bit of refactoring and improvement has been happening under the hood, but this shouldn't have any negative impact.

Windows Installer x64: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PiGt2ytBvjVnEUD1NiMj5rAIqiRZV78c

Windows Portable x64: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1toQ-o7lim34-v-gmTLpFSXeP1Zt0T--W

Linux folks need to compile this stuff from source, instructions for various distributions are on the wiki.

If you happen to run into a crash, please record a crashdump: How to record a crashdump

Changes since 2.5.0 can be seen on the Bugtracker changelog, important stuff includes so far:

- Add a stopwatch tracking your mapping time

- Make The Model Exporter Respect The "skin" Spawnarg On Export

- Export patches and lights/func_statics to OBJ

- Fixed: Particle Editor Doesn't Save Colour/Fade Colour

- Fixed: Re-exporting .ase models screws up their normals

- Fixed: Export Selected as .LWO Model: Exported models loose smooth shading after export.

- Fixed: DR shouldn't write *.darkradiant files when creating a prefab

- Fixed: CSG Make Room operator does not fill the room on 3-edge prism case

- Cleanup VC++ projects and settings

- Refactor Frontend Renderer (remove the state machine part)

- Fixed: DR doesn't show readable background image changes

- Fixed a syntax error in OBJ export script

- Fixed: Grid size number format in status bar is showing unnecessary post-comma zeros

- Fixed: Undo after changing func_static entity classname results in lost child primitives

- Fixed: Changing entity class from the spawnargs moves it to the Active Layer

- Remove legacy "Convert to ASE..." script

Thanks for testing, as always!

Did you get a chance to check out this suggested feature yet?

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19397-feature-request-favorite-folders/

@biker: ok, please file a bugtracker entry. This is likely due to the changes to the front end renderer.

@obsttorte: yes, it's just a dummy placeholder, it's not baking anything. That would require quite some work, I suppose.

@Goldwell: no, didn't check that thread yet. Will have a read.

There's a new pre-release build (pre3) available in the first post, including that Favourites feature that has been requested in the other thread, plus fixing a few rendering problems.

Immediate crash when starting.

Dump.

I just downloaded it and opened it and no crash here. I'm on windows 10, using the x64 portable version in a fresh folder of course.

I can reproduce your crash, @HMart, it is connected to the "Load last map at startup" setting. I think I can eliminate this one with some time.

@grayman: Not sure about how to repro yours. I see the application is crashing on processing Idle events, which might have to do with some stray pointers left behind. Can you give me more details about when it's crashing? Is this right after the app is started and when it's supposed to display the empty Camera and XY views? Or did you manage to load a map or open any windows?

@grayman: Not sure about how to repro yours. I see the application is crashing on processing Idle events, which might have to do with some stray pointers left behind. Can you give me more details about when it's crashing? Is this right after the app is started and when it's supposed to display the empty Camera and XY views? Or did you manage to load a map or open any windows?

Unchecking the "Open last map on startup" stopped the crash.

With that box checked, the crash occurred as the windows were coming up. None of the map got to be displayed in any window.