The Dark Mod Forums

Anyone Considering Guild Wars?

oDDity

Well, I wouldn't play DS for the fantastic RPG elements, rather it is a nice "Fast Food" RPG. :) The worst thing is how the characters are controled. It is very easy to make a mistake and click somehwere you didn't want to and your characters run off and screw up. But still, it is fun enough now that I'm used to it.

Gerhard

DS is one of the most boring games I've ever played. I honestly don't understand why people play this, there are so few choices to make in that game, it's like watching someone else playing.

Exactly, play the Baldur's Gate series if you haven't already. That's arguably the finest CRPG ever made, and my been my No. 1 game for four years. It's going to take something pretty spectacular to dislodge it.

I'm hoping Oblivion will be that game.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Actually, now after being halfway throuhg DS it starts to get boring because it is painfully obvious linear. In the beginning it was fun, because I just wanted a simple hack & slay RPG. Baldurs Gate is excellent, but it takes a LOT of time to play and currently I don't want to do this. I played it maybe 30-40% through and then I lost my savegame.

Gerhard

So you haven;t played Shadows of Amn? THat is by far the best BG game. You're missing out if you haven't played it.

It is a very long and quite complex game, but that's just value for money)

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• 1 month later...
I didn't bother getting it in the end. I know I'd spend (waste) far too much time on it.

Yeah, I always say I'll never buy another game, but I always end up buying one. Guild Wars I might be drawn toward to get seeing as I have a $30 gift card for Best Buy and Guild Wars here is only $40 now, but then again, I could buy doom3 just for The Dark Mod or purchase Half-Life for Alien Swarm: Infested, or some other game...

There is only one thing missing in GW. It doesn't have this "Just this one quest to see how it continues" factor. When I played some other RPGs there was always this drive to continue. GW is really nice but IMO the quests are not made in such a way that it would keep me in front of the machine.

Gerhard

The only online RPG I played was Everquest (back in the early days when it was good) and there were no decent quests in it at all (hence it's nickname 'Neverquest')

I used t play 8 hour sessions quite often starting at 9 or 10 pm and into 4 5 am.

What kept me playing was just wanting to get to the next level, or maybe I was trying to mske enough money to buy a particular item.

Everything in these games comes down to killing mobs though, whether earning xp, earning money or completeing most quests, so it eventually gets tiresome. As soon as I reached the top in Everquest I deleted my character and quit.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I usually play GW for the same reason. To get to the next level. At least I'm now through the drap part of it where the landscape is all broken. It gets better again now. :)

But I guess I will restart Gothic 2 soon, because this gives me more a sense of living in that world and is much more involving and immersing. Still GW is nice to play and it's well worth it's money.

Gerhard

You can't get the same level of immersion in a multiplayer online game that you get in a single player game though. In a singleplayer game like Gothic, the whole world and everything in it, including the plot is centered around and created for you alone, whereas a MMO is a world of its own that you drop into now and again as a visitor.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I play GunZ a lot now, I like the FF series (stoped when it went online, $$ charge)

I like Golden Sun a lot though, I wish there was a 2d online rpg like that, like Ragnarok (only free, lol) closest I could find was Endless-Online, but b/c it is free, the servers are full too fast and crash :(