The Dark Mod Forums

Chronicles of Skulduggery: Pearls and Swine

Bienie

• 1 month later...

Now I remember why I never finished this mission, I never made it past the sewer! I can't seem to climb up. Keep getting stuck on the ledge, before I make it up. Turned on mantling, but that don't work either. There's no rope arrows to buy or find, so I can't get out of the tunnel and into the manor in the beginning. What am I doing wrong? I got version 1 and 1.1 (why is version 1.1 smaller than the first?)

• Like 1

(Not on my machine, In Europé, but it works excellent )

My hobby built desktop is: XFX Play Hard-nVidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI

Onboard is:

CPU: Intel Socket 775

VGA: nVidia GeForce EVGA GTX-260

RAM: DDRIII 16Gb

HDD: 2 Tb

All service packs and latest drivers installed.

Glasses in Rafter

In Annabelle's bedroom up on the rafters, there are some glasses (see attached pic). I was sure that would be a secret, but it wasn't. So why is it there? I'm probably missing an additional Objective that wasn't triggered because I missed reading some text somewhere.

That's really just an easter egg... I originally meant to put secret loot up there but I figured it would be too hard to find (not for you evidently!), so I decided to put a pair of glasses there suggesting that some creeper would sit up there at night and watch her sleep.

Now I remember why I never finished this mission, I never made it past the sewer! I can't seem to climb up. Keep getting stuck on the ledge, before I make it up. Turned on mantling, but that don't work either. There's no rope arrows to buy or find, so I can't get out of the tunnel and into the manor in the beginning. What am I doing wrong? I got version 1 and 1.1 (why is version 1.1 smaller than the first?)

I'm sorry to hear that! I've gathered some people have had trouble climbing up through the privy, and I've just been scratching my head because I felt it was very natural, but we all play differently and I should have accounted for that. What I do is open the lid (make sure you are standing tall) and then aim for the top rim and jump towards it while holding down the jump key which should make you grab on to it and mantle up. If you are still having trouble there is no shame in

noclipping up into the pub area. In order to do that you need to make sure that your shortcut to TDM has "+set com_allowConsole 1" at the end of the target box, which you can add by right clicking and going into properties. Then load in to your game and hit the console key (usually under Esc) and type noclip. Move through the walls to get up and then type it again to disable it.

I hope that helps, and that you enjoy my mission! As for the difference in file size... no idea. I don't remember removing much of anything in the update, just adding. Nevertheless v.1.1 is the way to go!

Edited by Bienie
  • Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

Now I remember why I never finished this mission, I never made it past the sewer! I can't seem to climb up. Keep getting stuck on the ledge, before I make it up. Turned on mantling, but that don't work either.

The jump-to-grab is a common problem for players. What helps is to aim for what you want to grab at, at the exact center of the screen, and jump at it (pressing forward also, just jumping up may or may not get you close enough to the "grab point"). Mantling works great for things at a certain height, but for higher grabs, you'll need to jump at it.

• Like 1

That's really just an easter egg... I originally meant to put secret loot up there but I figured it would be too hard to find (not for you evidently!), so I decided to put a pair of glasses there suggesting that some creeper would sit up there at night and watch her sleep.

I may have found your easter egg, but I am still 300 short of loot total (3250/3550). And I looked everywhere for the 300 missing. I even resorted to noclip mode and wandered around. The Glasses I found legitimately though.

I may have found your easter egg, but I am still 300 short of loot total (3250/3550). And I looked everywhere for the 300 missing. I even resorted to noclip mode and wandered around. The Glasses I found legitimately though.

Yeah it's not going to be easy to find every single piece of loot in this mission, though I don't feel like I have many pieces in unreasonable places. If you're pulling your hair out over it (like I feel I do sometimes), you can always

noclip around and type in "tdm_show_loot 1" which highlights all loot through walls for a few seconds each time you enter the command.

If after that you are still missing loot, you might want to check

the message board in the little alleyway beneath William's window which has two side missions that give you some additional coin for completing them, and the rewards don't spawn until you complete them.

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

• 4 weeks later...

Only thing which I would point out is optimization - the part of mansion with lady´s bedroom (especially when you enter through the double-wing door) runs terribly slow on my high-end PC, whereas others run quite well.

I agree with Tarhiel. I was also getting fluctuations in frame rate in this mission until I just found a new setting in the video options... multi core enhancement. This seems to work really well. I am very pleased.

Edited by cavador_8
  • Like 1

Yeah it's not going to be easy to find every single piece of loot in this mission, though I don't feel like I have many pieces in unreasonable places. If you're pulling your hair out over it (like I feel I do sometimes), you can always

noclip around and type in "tdm_show_loot 1" which highlights all loot through walls for a few seconds each time you enter the command.

If after that you are still missing loot, you might want to check

the message board in the little alleyway beneath William's window which has two side missions that give you some additional coin for completing them, and the rewards don't spawn until you complete them.

I finally got back to this and did what you suggested and found some really sneaky loot plus I did the 2 side missions. But I was still short and did the ultimate cheat to locate that last 80 in loot. It was

in this bathroom behind the checkered wall. How do you get that loot legitimately? I looked around for a frobbable tile or something to open the wall, but couldn't locate anything.

post-38134-0-65395100-1544030224_thumb.jpg

post-38134-0-12507400-1544030615_thumb.jpg

Edited by CountMorillonite
  • Like 1

I finally got back to this and did what you suggested and found some really sneaky loot plus I did the 2 side missions. But I was still short and did the ultimate cheat to locate that last 80 in loot. It was

in this bathroom behind the checkered wall. How do you get that loot legitimately? I looked around for a frobbable tile or something to open the wall, but couldn't locate anything.

Glad you found it all!

The hidden compartment in the bathroom is opened by a small switch above the lady's bed. The hint for it is found in her journal when she talks about hidden parts of the mansion.

My Fan Missions:

• 4 months later...

Error with 2.07 after reading the intro message, mission doesn't run. I tried both v 1 and v 1.1.

Script object 'numberwheel' not found on entity 'idMover_atdm:numberwheel_3811'

No idea if this is a mission issue or game issue. I played another mission without problem with tdm 2.07.

Thanks, it worked.

The download link in the first post leads to a wrong version in this case.

Thanks for bringing the problem to my attention. I've updated the original post with a link to the correct archive. Hope you enjoy the mission!

My Fan Missions:

It's a very good mission. Thanks!

I didn't pay much attention to the ingame notes thus I spent more time on the mission than neccessary.

That many lights are formidable. :ph34r: But no big deal after all. It was strange noone reacts to the thefts and wide open secret places, that's my only note.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great mission.

On my own I found only 8 secrets.

I keep seeing reference to the

Secret Study

and I haven't found it.

I've found a

switch above the bed

but can't find the corresponding secret.

I've found a

switch in the music room dressing room

but can't find the corresponding secret

Any clues for me?

Great mission.

On my own I found only 8 secrets.

I keep seeing reference to the

Secret Study

and I haven't found it.

I've found a

switch above the bed

but can't find the corresponding secret.

I've found a

switch in the music room dressing room

but can't find the corresponding secret

Any clues for me?

Glad you are enjoying the mission! The FAQ section at the top will help you figure out which secrets you are missing, if you want to. There are both gentle nudges and more direct instructions to choose from. As far as your questions:

The secret study is not one of the secrets, as it is required to visit it on Master difficulty. It's under the main stairwell and an in-game hint is in Lady Harrington's to-do list on her desk. The line about

a loose light fixture in the stairwell, go there and the one near the bottom is frobable, opening the painting at the base of the stairs

The switch above the bed doesn't count as a secret in game either, but it is pretty sneaky. The switch causes

a panel to open in the far end of the bathroom, with a few loot items in it.

The switch in the theater backstage area only controls the lights on the stage I'm afraid.

but there is a secret piece of loot in there!

My Fan Missions:

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to leave a quick note here.  I was out of the Dark Mod loop for a while as 2.06 was said to be very buggy, uneven, and I'm not technically minded so I just gave up until the next update.

I updated to 2.07 a few weeks ago and have been through 4 new missions released in the last year or so.  All were good, but I think this one is probably the best.  I rarely ever leave criticism, praise or anything, so consider this a sign you're doing something right.  I liked the straightforward layout of the map, I hate feeling lost in a maze.  The interiors were designed very neatly.  The objectives were clear, you had good secrets.

I hope your second mission which I haven't played yet, is comparable!  Cheers

Edited by CarltonTroisi
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 8:00 AM, CarltonTroisi said:

Just wanted to leave a quick note here.  I was out of the Dark Mod loop for a while as 2.06 was said to be very buggy, uneven, and I'm not technically minded so I just gave up until the next update.

I updated to 2.07 a few weeks ago and have been through 4 new missions released in the last year or so.  All were good, but I think this one is probably the best.  I rarely ever leave criticism, praise or anything, so consider this a sign you're doing something right.  I liked the straightforward layout of the map, I hate feeling lost in a maze.  The interiors were designed very neatly.  The objectives were clear, you had good secrets.

I hope your second mission which I haven't played yet, is comparable!  Cheers

Thanks for leaving your feedback! I'm really glad you enjoyed it!

As for the sequel, I hope you're not too against maze-like architecture cause the early part of the mission is on rooftops which has a lot of verticality to it. There is a map that should help with that though. There is a ton more content to explore in that one though, if you are in to hidden content and secrets!

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

• 2 months later...

Another great mission that definitely deserves my praise. Your attention to detail was once more in top shape, I loved exploring this one and finding several of the high up areas and funny little secrets. It's also fun to have so many side missions and areas with non-hostile NPC's that say "hi" when you walk in.

1 hour ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Another great mission that definitely deserves my praise. Your attention to detail was once more in top shape, I loved exploring this one and finding several of the high up areas and funny little secrets. It's also fun to have so many side missions and areas with non-hostile NPC's that say "hi" when you walk in.

Thanks for the praise! I'm glad you appreciated the attention to detail, I feel like I almost went overboard in this one adding little details that the vast majority of players won't find. The side missions thing is probably going to be a staple for my missions, along with secrets, since they're so much fun to add in and most players seem to enjoy that.

My Fan Missions:

• 1 month later...

I just finished this mission. Nice one, i really liked it. :)

Spoiler

The story is good, and carries on well throughout the mission with the readables. The difficulty was perfect for me, not as ultra hardcore as some other missions, rather in the vein of the original Thief's, and the guard paths were great, and predicatble, not as chaotic as in other missions, where AI's literally sumble over each other in the same place. And, the elite guard was perfectly placed as well, I'd expect stuff so precious to be guarded by a higher guard. The design of the locations was classic and good, absolutely no complaints there. The secrets were good to find for the most part, and, the main ones were easy enough to find with the readables. I found 6 out of 11 secrets. I wasn't sure if the readables which were pinned to a wall in the streets had any context for the mission, there was one about a guy hoarding mandrasola, and a prize for the person who retrieves it. Couldn't find such a place, maybe i misunderstood it, and it was just a random readable.

The thing i disliked the most was the voice acting of the protagonist. I would almost say that that was the one thing the atmosphere suffered the most from. No offense meant, just one thing i feel like didn't quite fit the overall quality of the mission.

Oh, and I had to do this mission on medium difficulty, because of the knockout restriction (I don't like this at all. How does it make sense to not make more than X knockouts?). 

So, yeah, really good stuff, and, I'm looking forward to play part 2 of this series.

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 3:00 PM, chakkman said:

I just finished this mission. Nice one, i really liked it. :)

Hide contents

The story is good, and carries on well throughout the mission with the readables. The difficulty was perfect for me, not as ultra hardcore as some other missions, rather in the vein of the original Thief's, and the guard paths were great, and predicatble, not as chaotic as in other missions, where AI's literally sumble over each other in the same place. And, the elite guard was perfectly placed as well, I'd expect stuff so precious to be guarded by a higher guard. The design of the locations was classic and good, absolutely no complaints there. The secrets were good to find for the most part, and, the main ones were easy enough to find with the readables. I found 6 out of 11 secrets. I wasn't sure if the readables which were pinned to a wall in the streets had any context for the mission, there was one about a guy hoarding mandrasola, and a prize for the person who retrieves it. Couldn't find such a place, maybe i misunderstood it, and it was just a random readable.

The thing i disliked the most was the voice acting of the protagonist. I would almost say that that was the one thing the atmosphere suffered the most from. No offense meant, just one thing i feel like didn't quite fit the overall quality of the mission.

Oh, and I had to do this mission on medium difficulty, because of the knockout restriction (I don't like this at all. How does it make sense to not make more than X knockouts?). 

So, yeah, really good stuff, and, I'm looking forward to play part 2 of this series.

Thanks for the thorough review! Glad you enjoyed it.

I do tend to try and make the patrols feel natural, as in most areas are patrolled, but never constantly. It's interesting that you thought the patrols were predictable, since they are basically all on a RITS (Random Interesting Things) system where they will choose different things to do each time they enter an area. They do follow a certain path from room to room though.

The Mandrasola mission is definitely real, along with the key mission. The stash you need to steal is on the market low down in one of the stalls. You can get more backstory by breaking in to Paul's apartment on the east side of the rounded tunnel, with the balcony.

Sorry to hear that you thought my voice acting was poor. Can't disagree with you either... I added fewer lines in CoS2 for this reason, and am thinking of not adding any in CoS3.

The knockout limit is purely there for added challenge to the player. Maybe it doesn't make sense in reality, but it's mainly for people who like to play ghost mode etc...

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Yep, that's what i meant, they follow a path from room to room, or from place A to B on the streets. I noticed that they stop to check things out, and, that definitely feels more natural than just patrolling from A to B. IMO, it's perfect. On some other missions, i noticed that the patrol path is very complex/random, which leads to multiple guards being in the same place at the same time, which is bad, and it's also unrealistic, because, you know... they will guard the same place, while other places are totally deserted. :) I felt it works great in your missions.