The Dark Mod Forums

Breath Potion

Darkness_Falls

I drew some potion concepts on paper. Have only had time to Photoshop one so far... the Breath Potion.

Here's what I'm thinking. If you're swimming under water and a running out of air, what does one need? Air. So I feel our magical breath potion should have some sort of 'air' in it to fill up the lungs.

My solution to get air in the vial was to trap some air underneath some liquid. (I thought this would be more interesting than just a vial of boring air.) The "air" in my concept is actually a magical gas or smoke of some sort. (My original idea was to have it look like a semi-transparent gas, but I soon learned I couldn't figure out how do draw it like that without considerably more effort.)

So, a magical gas (or smoke) is completely trapped underneath the liquid. (You can see how the trapped gas/smoke has a convex shape to it; it's being held down by the liquid.) When taken, the magic takes effect and the thief's lungs fill with air. Naturally.

It is hard to see from my static drawing, but I envision the potion to be full of motion. There are champagne-like bubbles going up the liquid (as someone previously desired for a different potion), and there's a tumultuos gas or smoke randomly churning about underneath it.

(I hope you can see this drawing on your monitor okay. I've learned that my professional series monitor richly recreates black colors and darkness much more vividly than other monitors I encounter. I can brighten this drawing up, if need be.)

What do you think?

breath_potion-m.jpg

Here's a slightly larger version:

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/Art-Conce...th_potion-l.jpg

Edited by Darkness_Falls

Yes, that's a great painting, but maybe wasted since I've recently talked to every single person in the entire universe, and not a single one of them likes the idea of a breath potion in Thief. Anyone who says thedo like it, just say it to spite me, or aren't as intelligent as I am, so their opinion doesn't count.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Democracy is the tool of insecure weaklings. What we need is a dictatorship, the leader of which should be decided by whio's killed the most people for disagreeing with them.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

So we have to kill you to get you to stop complaining? Modeling/implementing a single one of the potions isn't that difficult. Theres no reason not to add it to the toolset regardless of whether it is in the campaign or not.I personally think the idea of the breathe potion is stupid, but if the majority wants it I'm not going to keep bitching. Move on to something that matters