The Dark Mod Forums

Help From My Hungarian/magyar Friends

saxmeister

Hey guys, I hate to ask this, but some of your Hunfarian/Magya speaking folk may be able to help out on this one. This has been driving me nuts for a while!

Monty Pyhton has a skit in the "Spam" episode that features a purposefully mistranslated Hungarian/English Lexicon/Phrasebook with some humourous/offensive content. So, this phrase might be a bit offensive (as the character onscreen punches the shopkeepeer when he hears this phrase)... I'm just curious as to what it means (if anything!).

"Yandelvayasna grldenwi stravenka"

Thanks in advance and I hope I haven't offended anyone by posting this.

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

whatever..its not even close to any hungarian words..

the first word sounds a bit russian..and 'stravenka' is maybe from a slav language..but maybe thats russian too..i think that it would be 'stravenSka' if it were a slav word

Edited by _Atti_

Don't know if you did something like that as well. When I was a kid I always liked the sound of the english language. Since I didn't know anything, I just made up words that sounded english to me. In that sense this words reminds me of hungerian language as well. :) For a hungerian it probably sounds like nothing, but for a foreigner who heard the language it could make kind of sense. :)

Gerhard

stravenka sounds remotely slowakian/tschech maybe, but the other stuff? The first word could could be something who doesn't know anything about hungerian and made up a word that sounds a bit hungerian.

It's "Czech" not "tsech" Dammit!!!

NOTE: I am Czech.

hehe, and as i see we have a lot of Europeans here, I will say this:

Kurva

Who knows what it means? :P

(Russians, Ukranians, Yugoslavs, Czechs, Slovaks, Serbs, etc should know ;) )

Haha. Should I report this? ;)

Well, I figured as much that the Monty Python team was just having some fun with "sounds like...." I actually think that part of it comes from Russian composer Stravinsky's family member names and words that were made to sound very similar.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I thought I might find the answer out if I checked with this team (since they have ALL the answers!!!)

Hmmm.... in resonse to Dram.... shame on you! Ha ha ha!!! I dated one of those once.... ;) Seriously, did you know that several workers at Microsoft came up with a rollerskate game called Kurva???? It got pretty popular in the Northwestern United States.

http://www.kittycrack.net/nick/kurva.htm

Edited by saxmeister

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

^^^funny stuff, he he.

i'm slovenian, and in our language, "kurva" changes to "kurba", but hey, close enough i guess :D

perhaps you could use some of those "obscure" words in dark mod somehow, you know, a bit like in clockwork orange, with that nadsat speech (or whatever it was called).... but then again, that might be a stupid idea.

Edit: and, oh, Monty Python's the best thing to have come out of the 20th century... okay, almost :D

Edited by kwc