The Dark Mod Forums

Health Potion Concept

Darkness_Falls

Hehe, yeah, I hear ya. Honestly, I don't care what color it is, really ;) This concept started as having red in the vial in the middle, but then the whole "it looks like blood" thing came to mind. Then for some reason I had this thought in my mind that the health potions were yellowish in T2, but can't remember for sure? (Not that I want to copy that, but it helped me be more okay with the color.)

In the following days I'll try to toss a few different colors out there for you all to look at. Red will certainly be one of the ones I do. Just a quick factoid: I think 'red' was used for speed potions in T2.

With the concepts, I think I'm more trying to communicate bottle shapes and also creating ideas for making the potions somewhat interesting to look at; moreso than the actual colors.

Oops, I just remembered we might make the health potion be very expensive and that I created a different concept for that on paper... something that makes the bottle look more expensive. (My bad) :)

As such, just focus on the bottle shapes for ideas for whatever potions, vials or flasks you want.

Just because I label something bottles a "Health Potion" or a "Breath Potion" doesn't mean we need to use the bottle shape for that.

Sorry for the confusion. Feel free to use the bottles for anything, unless someone feels strongly that a particular bottle shape should be used for something very specific.

The health potion needs to look more expensive than this one. And I have some ideas for that. Stay tuned.

IMO the bottle itself doesn't have to look expensive. The fluid itself is very expensive, but the thief would transfer it to whatever container was the most efficient for the purpose of carrying it around without clanking around and making noise etc. For that reason, I like that container a lot. I like how the glass looks to be pretty thick too, so it's pretty durable and not some flimsy fancy looking bottle. It looks useful and believable, as well as aesthetically pleasing to me.

Awesome start so far, Fingernail. The particle effect for the liquid I was envisioning was just bubbles going up to the top, kind've as illustrated. But I'm definitely open to other options for particle efx.

I'm not sure the glass should have such heavy beveling efx to it. Although I can see how that helps the exterior glass look really thick, it plays some weird warping efx on the liquid. Maybe less beveling and slightly more texture of some sort throughout the glass? I dunno. But then again, it makes it less standard, as Dom notes.

I vote against sparkles! I want to be drinking some manly green goo that supercharges my cellular regeneration rate, not some fairy dust!

[Edit - I don't really care that much tho, if sparkles look good, I won't complain. I'll just imagine that it's due to phase separation or something, like when you put a bottle of Ouzo in a too-cold refridgerator ]

Edited by Ishtvan

Not overly twinkly girly fairy dust.

Just sparkles that are actually more like very small flecks of light, something irridecent, something that just says "yeah buddy, this is magical".

In a darker colour fluid, for contrast.

Kind of like when you look into a special marble, or some kinda fancy glass light thing you might see in a novelty shop. If I had time, I'd draw it.

Oh yeah, I didn't even pay attention to how the color of the liquid changed there. Might have something to do with the glass being green, but surely there's a way to retain the liquid color (whatever we make it) somehow...?

Your drawing of orange liquid would have to look orange through the yellow glass because it is acutally another colour, made to look orange once you see it through that yellow glass.

You need to work out what colour will look orange through yellow glass to be able to do it in the game :)

Red will look orange through yellow glass. Nothing will look orange through green glass. :)

• 2 months later...

Found a red version of the potion on my hard drive. Thought I'd post for giggles, and another reference. Looks like blooood. Fortunately, through the magic of textures and bubbles, if red is used I'm sure you could make it not look like blood if so desired.

health_potion-red.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just messing around with modeling. No time to make a cork, so I just show u what I have...

post-36-1127803025_thumb.jpg

Sucks that I couldn't make a smoothly round bottle instead of this flat paneled salt shaker. Maybe I'll figure it out next time I try. Oh well, at least it's fun! I wish there was more time in a day *sigh*

I'm just practicing.