The Dark Mod Forums

Chains

R Soul

These look great! This is a great public service you've done. Thanks!

Longer straight ones would be great, so you could have a long one in a factory to climb or have something big hanging.

Are they articulated, as in, when you bump them will they swing? That's a trickier task.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I was looking into it, you can check the thread I made, Im gonna post a rough setp by step there right now: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19391-md5-models-and-animations-blender/

Its not that complicated, but there are a few things which you are trying to do that I didnt go into. I think for the chain to work as a physical object you will need to make it a ragdoll. I have no idea how to do that.

Thanks for the replies.

"Getting Characters and their Anims into Doom" seems to deal with converting Maya files to md5. With Blender I can export directly to md5.

I started looking the existing chain and found its definition in tdm_base01.pk4\def\tdm_rope.def. I copied that into its own file and replaced the model/anim references.

There's a reference to an .af file. I looked at the original one (tdm_defs01.pk4\af\) for the chain which started with instructions to use the inbuilt AF editor

The models page has

Setting up Ragdolls for Custom Joint Hierarchies

(filed under S for Setting)

I'll have a go at following the instructions tomorrow.

Yeah my original question asking if it was articulated was meaning does it have an .af / Articulated Figure file.

You're doing the Builder's work.

Now after you've learned this, if we could get some articulated fabrics like deformable sheets and drapes and clothes... :wub:

(Granting I don't know how possible or stable they'd be. But for that matter we could use more static fabrics too.)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Yeah, it would be great if someone with access to cloth dynamics made some covered furniture. The only ones we currently have access to have terrible uvmaps.

Yeah, it would be great if someone with access to cloth dynamics made some covered furniture. The only ones we currently have access to have terrible uvmaps.

Working on it, as I'll need them in my mission, but it will be a long while before these models will be available.

Edited by Judith

I got swinging chains working (long and short versions), added simplified collision models to the static models, and have added a new one of those:

post-2153-0-36869100-1530706947_thumb.jpg

(This could be used for a boat or some other large object that is being held in place)

For the swinging chains, I used this video to see how to associate bones with vertices, and this tutorial to generate the TDM files. At first I had a bit of trouble getting things to work properly, and was getting all sorts of errors. Then I must have found (or stumbled upon) the correct method and things went more smoothly from then on.

The skin property can be used on the swinging ones, but I'm not sure if there's a way to list skins for entities as we can with models.

Here is the updated file:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jlkp94ok3ac3rr8/Chain3_RS.zip

(Same link as before)

Edited by R Soul
  • Like 4

Double post and proud.

I've just updated the above file. The readme has been updated and the skin file has been modified to include the new static chain (and the single link) and to have these materials show up as 'matching skins' for the swinging entities.

edit: minor update - two of the short curved chains were using flat shading. I've updated them to make them smooth. Same link as above.

Edited by R Soul
  • Like 1

I'm getting concerned about the folder structure. There are now 26 files in the 'dungeon' directory.

You can create a subfolder 'chains' or similar. Good work btw.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

RPGista: Just to be clear, those Blender videos I've posted are only for generating static models. The moveable versions are straight down only, although they could be positioned so they appear to continue from one of the static models.

Obsttorte: Thanks. I know about subfolders but I'm wasn't sure of the best structure to use. I've gone with the general formation (straight/types of curve) as root folders and within them are the models of varying lengths.

Download file replace, same link as before:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jlkp94ok3ac3rr8/Chain3_RS.zip

Anyone who's already added any of the these chains to their FM should extract the updated file, change the model property of each chain entity to point to the 'subfolder' version and then delete the 'chain3' files in the main 'dungeon' folder.

Edited by R Soul

I made a breakthrough

It's pretty usual for modelers to make a low poly version first, then add some loops for subdivision, use high poly version for simulation, and then revert to low poly or bake the high to low poly after simulation for better effect. It works especially well for fabrics.