The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod Unofficial Patch 1.1 released!

wesp5

Hello everybody, while the TDM team is busy improving the more technical aspects of the mod, like performance, soft shadows, BFG-based or even VR versions, this patch combines several small improvements to the main mod, that in my opinion make the gameplay more realistic and fun, maybe easier too, and it also brings some order into the downloaded mission list! It has just been updated to work with TDM 2.06 and the recently released new fan missions.

Download link: https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/addons/the-dark-mod-unofficial-patch

Version Changelog:
------------------

v1.1 26.06.2018
----
Moveable candles can be extinguished directly by frobing the candle.
More blackjack immune enemies and inextinguishable candles modified.
The key frob distance has been decreased to be that of lockpicking.
Holy Water bottles must be thrown directly, but they do more damage.
The controls settings menu additions have been updated for TDM 2.06.
New mission names have been fixed to fix format and spacing issues.
Added looking up and looking down controls for people without mouse.
Pointed bad prefabs container open/close sounds to existing effects.

v1.0 06.05.2018
----
Many enemies will not become immune to blackjacking when alerted.
Oil lamps, candle sconces and chandeliers can be frob extinguished.
The controls settings menu lists that "use" can work on held items.
Mission names were syncronised between download and online lists.
The controls settings menu lists that "frob" can get or drop items.
Astericks were added to official missions to move them to list top.
Minor text and format bugs have been fixed in some mission infos.

• Like 3

Love the idea of community patches! Wish this will be a continued effort, and I like the choices you made here in terms of gameplay features (basicly the throwable holy water, and more freedom on wether or not you want to extinguish light sources (I myself barely do it, but Im sure a lot of people would like to experiment with that)). The blackjacking will have to be tested, though, because I always saw it as a small weapon that is only effective when you catch them off guard, it doesnt look or feel like the sort of heavy club that would instantly KO someone no matter what hes doing, because of the sheer blunt force. But I guess it does go in the direction of more "consistency".

Either way, personal opinions apart, really glad to see this available to the community, Im sure people is gonna have fun using it!

Edited by RPGista

The blackjacking will have to be tested, though, because I always saw it as a small weapon that is only effective when you catch them off guard, it doesnt look or feel like the sort of heavy club that would instantly KO someone no matter what hes doing, because of the sheer blunt force.

As I wrote elsewhere already, once an enemy weapon is out it's very hard to blackjack, but in the short time while they are busy drawing, it often works nicely :)!

Thanks, I didn't even know this existed ;). Of course if other ideas come up that can easily be implemented without changing the core game, I would be interested in adding them to the patch. Just recently I tried to add a button to the GUI to manually finish a mission in case it can't (like the training missions) and I would also like to have a "Download all new missions" button, but even with the help of Obsttorte, nbohr1more and Durandall we couldn't figure this out, so this might be something for the core game unless somebody has a solution!

just a query, does this effect conditions set by map maker as in if an mob aka npc is preset to blackjack immune, as in if you knockout this npc it will break the map, also for those npc that are also holy water immune will it effect them as well.

The possibility of breaking maps is one reason some of these changes weren't considered to go official (I think), and I think KO'ability changes would be one of those types. But a fan patch is exactly the best way to handle changes that some people may want even if they do break a few maps or for some other reason are a hard sell for officialdom, although some changes may get a more serious hearing after people see them in action, since implementation is always a better test than thinking about it hypothetically. In any event, with as much as people ask for different features all the time, I'm surprised there aren't more, granting it does require some work to do.

On a related note, when wesp5 first starting posting here, even then I bet then it was only a matter of time before he'd come out with a fan patch (knowing his history from the VtM:B forums), and finally here it is.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

just a query, does this effect conditions set by map maker as in if an mob aka npc is preset to blackjack immune, as in if you knockout this npc it will break the map, also for those npc that are also holy water immune will it effect them as well.

The holy water damage wasn't changed at all, only the means to apply it which shouldn't affect immunities. The same should be true for blackjack-immune enemies. I think the order in which these things are handled are map>folder>pk4, so as my version is folder based any map changes should surpass it. Also I already noted when testing my patch that several enemies are still immune, most obviously the elite guards although they have the immune flag revoked.

Edited by wesp5

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe unofficial "patch" is not the right name, because it implies somehow the development has halted.

Unofficial Extension? The Grey Mod? :D

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Maybe unofficial "patch" is not the right name, because it implies somehow the development has halted.

Unofficial Extension? The Grey Mod? :D

I never connected "Unofficial Patch" with development being abandoned, but then it isn't really a patch as it does more than just fix things. I choose the name out of habit ;) and I'm open to other suggestions! I didn't really like yours though :)...

Edited by wesp5