The Dark Mod Forums

Vaulted Ceiling For A Sewer

Ravenhook

Hi all, working my way through the tutorials and haven't done too dab so far but I am having terrible trouble with vaulted ceilings, I am trying to run through Komags tutoria and I have made...

A recrangle (top view) 128X64 and made it 128 in height.

Turned the brush into a room

deselected everything and selected in the 3D view the ceiling and copied it (shift)

Dragged the new brish into place half way down and resized its height to 64

Clicked patch, simple patch gave it a 5 on both selections just like the tut says, cliked ok

Instead of having the patch the whole length of the 128 rectangle I have the patch 64 in the width and so i cannot drag it out along the length only the width.

What am I doing wrong please...thank God I saved saved and saved and also opened up a new map when I am practicing new things.

Thank you.

I tied making a new brush and fitting it inside the brush that I want to use as a sewer, this time I got the length of the converted patch right but I still cannot drag the sides out only the ends????.

Yes..umm..I think this is it. No, I am trying to attach the .map from the folder but it says I am not allowed to upload this kind of file?/

The forum only accepts .txt files, so just rename the ending to .map.txt or .txt and upload it. If it's bigger than 500 Kb you'll need to compress it into I.e. a ZIP archive or send only a fraction of the map.

Valtued ceilings are definitely a bit advanced. There are a couple premade models in the architecture/modules/church folder that you could check to see if they would fit your need. Barring that, another option would be to find a map that has vaulted ceilings that you like, copy and paste the patch into your map, and resize/retexture to fit.

models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_church01

The models are under vault*

Am I getting this wrong, RMB/insert prefab/archetecture/....no interior only interior_set1 and interior_set2....is my copy of Dark Radiant 2.6.0 x64 damaged or set up wrong.

Aaah, RMB/create model is not highlighted and clicking on it does nothing because I had the patch selected...I'll have a look now thank you.

Had a good look at the church models and unfortunately they would not be help to me, what I need is a curved brick ceiling...I notice that Komag seemed to be using version 1.0, has it changed that much since it's conception and is that why his great tutorial isn't working for me or am I just screwing things up somewhere...go on, be brutal I can take it. :(

.I notice that Komag seemed to be using version 1.0, has it changed that much since it's conception and is that why his great tutorial isn't working for me

Have you seen this tutorial? http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14859-easy-vault-recipe/

Sotha is around on the forums if you want to ask him about it.

Thanks guys, I'll check that out. Last night couldn't sleep much, old wound playing up because of the damp in the air so I had a fiddle..no matter how I tried using a simple patch failed every time so I used "end cap" instead, go a nice arched ceiling...textures a little squeazed because I resised the arch to fit my rectangle but I noticed a tut on end caps and textures which I will look into, looks just what I would like but I dont know how I would fit branches in..unlike dromed where you created two cylinders, crossed them and had a nice branch section.

Moving on...

Ok, using the recipe here is a very rough lash up that I have made, it would need a lot more work doing as I only used the first two parts on the recipe..vertices need tweaking and seams need covering.

The map is tiny as I'm only practicing the parts that are giving me a headache.

sewer1.txt

I agree with Judith that modelling is ultimately the best way to produce this kind of architecture, but it does require learning a new application (e.g. Blender, 3D Studio, Lightwave or whatever modelling app you choose). There's nothing wrong with starting off making things with patches until you reach the limits of what patches can do and decide you want to learn modelling.

It depends on how much control and creative freedom you need, learning modelling is more like a long-term inverstment. BSP tools are bit more advanced in idTech4, in comparison to other engines, but there's only so much you can do with them.

Using the recipe, it says to make a cube and texture it and resize the texture...ok so far, then it tells you to select the bottom, ok...then the snag, it says that I can only have one side selected to copy shader...how do I deselect the reverse side..I even tried to hollow the cube as when it was a solid cube shift click on one side of the cube in 3D mode caused all the sides to get selected.

Edited by Ravenhook

Using the recipe, it says to make a cube and texture it and resize the texture...ok so far, then it tells you to select the bottom, ok...then the snag, it says that I can only have one side selected to copy shader...how do I deselect the reverse side..I even tried to hollow the cube as when it was a solid cube shift click on one side of the cube in 3D mode caused all the sides to get selected.

You need to select just a single face in the 3D view by using Ctrl + Shift + Left click, rather than selecting the whole brush with Shift + Left click.

There's a section in the online user guide which covers basic brush texturing (something of a coincidence, since the user guide is in its early stages and covers only a small amount of DarkRadiant's functionality so far).