The Dark Mod Forums

VIDEO: Simply Beautiful - Kingdom Come Deliverance

NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Environments look nice. Much more realistic looking than Skyrim, which I guess is its niche.

Yes, it's historically realistic. Not just in the architecture, but in the way humans on foot use the landscape. Also no fantasy. It's very refreshing. Oh and stealth

works, so you can thieve. My first play through it took a few hours before I could afford a horse. This one, I went thieving from the beginning n could afford

a top horse in the first hour lol. I think I robbed every house in Letechko lol.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

I wrote it before somewhere: Kingdom Come is the first game to really feature a realistic looking forest. They really did a great job in that regard.

Skyrim has the fantasy bonus though. It doesn't have to look realistic, because the setting is not on this planet. ;)

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 1

I like both styles. It's a different itch each one scratches, and it's great that we have both. That reminds me of my old answer to the "what kind of X is best for a TDM FM?"... I usually say the author should pick what they like and there should be room for different kinds of X's... Some authors build in a more cartoonish fantasy way, and others build in a more hyperrealistic gritty way, and I like to see both, although maybe more or less on different days. The real key is that the level stay true to its own aesthetic. What's bad is an FM that doesn't know what it wants to be and tries to mix things trying to please everyone. It should pick an aesthetic & stay authentic to it IMO. That's where the question matters.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Nice ride in the countryside - but way too much compression artifacts.

Sorry you couldn't see it in full quality. It's 1080p and the bit rate is much higher than most channels, so my guess is was down to your connection.

One of the things I love, is in this game, the way they do forest trails is so realistic. Skyrim forests never felt real. With KCD, riding down this

trail in the video, just scratched memories of being 7 yr old and running in the same sort of trails in a forest with my brother. He's dead now,

and it really gets me every time.

The other thing I love is the way foot trails take shortcuts just the way humans would do, and you end up

with multiple trails either left or right of the main trail. Stunning game. The acting is good, but the implementation of animations with the acting

are a little odd at times, but end up feeling quaint by the end. lol

Edited by NeonsStyle

• 4 months later...

Reloaded earlier for another reason so red spots gone - but still like to know what causes them and what action removes them.

Anyway, restarted from beginning because tired of missions and wanted to sandbox - but the game forces you to play the storyline so far else you can't leave the first area nor can you sleep-save! Damn. I've had to replay a huge amount.

But another potential deal-breaker is the lock picking. It appears to be the hardest I've ever seen in a game. On PS4 you have to turn left and right sticks in sync but it wouldn't turn for me on my first attempts nor do any of the on-line videos look the same - they look simpler even though the lock I'm trying is shown as 'easy'. Plus the lockpicks are relatively expensive near the start and gamesave slow and tedious and costly. Gave up in disgust last night. Try again this morning. Maybe I'll figure it out.

Ah, right, thanks. That's an incentive for me to do some of the missions then. At the moment, I've headed back to the start village, my horse is taken from me (by the game) so I'm forced to walk. Tons of irresistible loot on bodies etc so I'm overloaded and can hardly walk at 1mph all the f way. This is the second time I'm doing this torture. When I get there I'll put everything in the chest in my old home. I daren't stick it in any earlier container like a barrel because I don't know whether the game refreshes them like Fallout 4 does so you lose the lot after x days. I suspect not but I don't know yet.

Ah, right, thanks. That's an incentive for me to do some of the missions then. At the moment, I've headed back to the start village, my horse is taken from me (by the game) so I'm forced to walk. Tons of irresistible loot on bodies etc so I'm overloaded and can hardly walk at 1mph all the f way. This is the second time I'm doing this torture. When I get there I'll put everything in the chest in my old home. I daren't stick it in any earlier container like a barrel because I don't know whether the game refreshes them like Fallout 4 does so you lose the lot after x days. I suspect not but I don't know yet.

You have to explicitly train lockpicking. You can do so at the millers'. It takes quite some time to get the skill up, so don't fixate on getting it up right from the start.

And yeah, harvesting loot can be tedious, but that's by design. It is supposed to be hard to come by money!

I for one loved this game for it's realism, difficulty and authenticity. :-)

I only played the game for a couple of hours (20-50, not sure; would have to lookit up) and haven't played the game for some time now, butI liked it quite much. Lockpicking and pickpocketing are both quite difficult at the biginning, so I would recommend to get the recipe for the savegame potion and gather the ingredients (they are quite abundand). That way you can at leasst save any time you like, which includes any time you want to try to steal anything.

Another recommendation with a minor spoiler:

I would also recommend to continue the main as you will get a horse through that pretty soon. You can transfer inventory items to it, which in turn makes looting a lot easier. I have then cleared a couple of bandit camps and have currently absolutely no problems with money

I now think the red splodges on the screen are probably due to my eating food that is not fresh. So food poisoning. I thought the percentage fresh value meant the percentage through the duration days. So, something that has a duration of 5 days might show 40% after 3 days. At some point the number turns red. I thought that was just a warning that you'd better eat it soon because when it reaches zero then it will not be edible. So I've been giving priority to eating food that not the freshest, especiall if it's red. I mean, in real life I'd use the oldest sell-by date before the new - so long as it hadn't passed that date. Now I think the red means it's poisonous. So why does it have a percentage value at all? poisonous is poisonous.

Anyway, I started the game from the beginning for the third time, trying some new strategies to stay alive. Each of the three times I was given a horse and each of the three times the game eventually took it away from me. I can't figure out how to keep the horse. The first time I couldn't steer it out the town and it got jammed between two fences so I left it. When I came back it was gone. The second time I tried to ride it to my home village quest but a cinematic made me abandon it in a wood and I've searched and whistled since but no joy. Nor did it return to the town (thamburg or simialr name.) This third time I figured I'd leave it in the stable and it would still be there after the quest but again the game removed it.

I have no weapon - can't afford one yet - so I'm vulnerable to any footpad or bandit, especially since I'm walking everywhere. Even fast travel (which is really slow) stops you randomly to face bandits.

I'll try to find the recipe for saviour schnapps so I can accumulate (not sell) any such herbs etc until such time as I learn alchemy.

Oh man, fids, you should really follow the main plot a little longer because 1. it is excellent and 2. it teaches you stuff. You can free roam as much as you want later, but first, you have to actually learn how to weild a sword etc. :-)

Probably will follow main story eventually, but right now I feel pushed around and forced into actions by the start quests so I want to stretch out and feel a little freedom for a while and test stealth! In Survival difficulty in Fallout 4 you could only save by sleeping so one gradually memorised a chain of beds across the map (and fast travel disabled) - the same is just beginning to happen in KC as I find more sleep places. Just wish I had my sniper rifle, minigun, and power ripper! :D

Finally made a little progress with lockpicking. Until today I'd had 16 sessions with 20 lockpicks (that's 320 attempts) with only ONE success! (and that was probably a bit lucky with a last minute lunge.) That was on 'Easy'. So I did more net searching and it's clear a great many players suffered with the near-impossibility of this. Turns out the PC version is far easier using a key and mouse. On the PSP4 you turn the pick with the right joystick and they sync. That means if you push the right stick to 3 o'oclock then the sphere moves to 3 o'clock although wobbling horribly. But the left stick that turns the lock itself does not sync. Say you start at 3 o'clock then by the time the sweet spot is at 12 then the left stick is at maybe 9 or 8. By the time the sweet spot is turning left to 11, the left stick is probably moving right through 6! The wobbling intensifies and the controller has a heavy vibration that increases as does the wobbling (if you even get that far.)

The solution is to ignore the Miller Peschek's so-called tutorial which is nonsense, ignore the so-called 'Easy' chest and find some 'Very easy' locks. The best place I've found so far is in lower Sasau. The main street runs SW to NE. At the top is a U-yard with a Very Easy, in the middle left of the street is another U-yard, and lower down the street is a chest inside a home (but when I returned at night to do the dirty, the outer door was hard-locked so I couldn't get in but maybe there's a way, dunno.)

Turn off the controller vibes for this in PS4 Settings - devices so it's less distracting.

Nearby are a couple of gamesave beds in a tiny alley with wooden doors and iron grids that make them look a bit like dungeon doors but I guess they are workers' beds. Nobody there at night when I tried though. So save the game (or use Schnapps to save) then you can practise.

I had 30 lockpicks but my first success came in only about only 7 tries (though I heard cries of 'who's there!' each time I broke a pick. I entered the house. Two people asleep. I accidentally woke one so decided to reload. But I think each lock success increases your level so in future I'll creep away and resave after every success and see if I can boost up my skill perk. If I understand it correctly, that should make locks easier and easier and perhaps eventually I can tackle the actual quest of Peschek with the 'Easy' chest.

Meanwhile I'd adanced the main mission but got stuck. I need to find either: the uzits Bailif, Radzig, or Hanish. Can't find any of them and there's no quest guide. Sick of searching so gave up.

Lots of good stuff in this game but badly spoiled by these difficulties.

Meanwhile I'd adanced the main mission but got stuck. I need to find either: the uzits Bailif, Radzig, or Hanish. Can't find any of them and there's no quest guide. Sick of searching so gave up.

Are you aware that you only have a limited amount of quests that you can track simultaniously (three if I am not mistaken)? Thus, you may have to disable the tracking of another quest to show quest markers for your main quest. I am not 100% sure that all quests have markers, but at least they should show you a region where you have to search if the goal is not marked directly.

Yeah, decent game, though it seems rare to actually have a deeper story with open worlds like that. Right now looks like people are going to be busy with this and with Mount & Blade 2 (which is fiction set in Calradia). It will be tragic that both are advertising aggressively DLC's.

Last time a historical setting was interesting without being generic Western Europe was Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword IMHO. But always the bugs get in the way.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson