The Dark Mod Forums

Flame Jet Trap

Springheel

trigger_hurt takes its damage from the damage.def file and a lot of the damage in there is hard coded to a c++ function/s in the engine.

So does the damage stim. But the two have a couple very significant differences:

1. Damage Stims fire every X seconds, starting as soon as stim is activated. Trigger_hurt fires every X seconds, starting from the moment the player/AI contacts the entity (so player cannot slip through without damage).

2. Damage Stims damage AI as long as the AI is within the stim radius. Trigger_hurts damage AI as long as the AI is touching the entity AND is in motion (so AI can stand in fire without damage).

3. Damage Stims have their damage amounts set on the receivers (player and AI). Trigger_hurt sets its damage right on the entity itself (much easier).

So trigger_hurt is generally superior, unless you also want it to damage AI.

Anyway I'm glad people like them! I hope they'll encourage more trap use in future missions. :)

Anyway I'm glad people like them! I hope they'll encourage more trap use in future missions. :)

Yes, thanks for going through the work of making TDM's first prototypes of these traps and presenting them so well. (Also came across your art classes - those are relaxing to watch, and I may become a user myself in the event that I focus on art again sometime down the line)

Got any more ideas for traps you were going to work on next? It may be good to have the community mull over how they could be implemented in the meantime. Personally I quite liked the drowning/getting compacted while lockpicking variety.... hmm...

• Like 1

Got any more ideas for traps you were going to work on next?

Well, here are a few I was thinking about looking into in the future:

1. Crushing walls

2. Spiked pits

3. Rooms filling with water (Sotha did that in a mission already)

4. A Dishonored type lightning trap

5. Something like the Thief heads that fire projectiles (probably would require an AI def)

6. Poison gas traps (ideally that could be avoided with breath potions)

Well, here are a few I was thinking about looking into in the future:

1. Crushing walls

2. Spiked pits

3. Rooms filling with water (Sotha did that in a mission already)

4. A Dishonored type lightning trap

5. Something like the Thief heads that fire projectiles (probably would require an AI def)

6. Poison gas traps (ideally that could be avoided with breath potions)

1. These could be problematic if moveables come into play, as a few crates for example could be used to block the whole setup (which may be desirable). They could be setup to take damage as well, but this would make the whole setup very sensitive on how mappers are using it.
  2. Insta-kill?! A trigger_hurt dealing a sufficiently high amount of damage.
  3. Did that in Old Habits 2, too. It is surprisingly easy to setup (a water volume bound to a mover, a door for example). You need it to rise from below, though, so if there is no space left it gets difficult.
  4. The most difficult part here is the look of it. Projectiles support light trails, though, so particles left on the trail of the projectile fired. One just has to make sure that performance doesn't suffer too much from it.
  5. The security camera could potentially be used here. It provides a visibility scan without all the additional extra load an ai normally uses (pathfinding for example).
  6. That pretty much goes into the direction of the gas mine Sotha created a while back. If you are using the same gas as used there and by the gas arrow, breath potions will help.

Swinging blade traps and dropping boulder traps could also be nice (the latter is probably pretty easy to set up, but I haven't tried it myself so I have no idea).

The latter is relatively simple. The main problem is that once moveables come to rest, they will not move until they get an impulse from the outside reactivating them (that is for performance reasons). A translating door placed on top of the boulders that moves a bit to give them a little push would bypass this, but may not be a houndred percent relyable. Swinging blades would call for func_pendulums, but similar to the traps Springheel already set up the way damage is delivered to the entity hit has to be dealt with.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

1. That pretty much goes into the direction of the gas mine Sotha created a while back. If you are using the same gas as used there and by the gas arrow, breath potions will help.

Can you point me to that? I tried to make some "poison gas" areas, that would drain the air from the player and had massive problems as I found no way of damaging the "air bar" of the player. The only way I found was to create a hidden room with a vaccum entity inside that I could regulate by opening and closing doors. This was still prone to errors as the whole area is evacuated and would affect AIs, where it should not. I am just curious how the setup of Sotha's trap is and how it regulates that the air potion helps against the trap