The Dark Mod Forums

Ummm Fog?

Ravenhook

I am really a pain aren't I. I have 2 rooms and a courtyard, did the sky bit, dragged the prefab miles away from everything as per the A-Z, found and fixed some leaks, all seems ok, ran it through dmap and opened it up in Dark Mod to test and hey Presto there is fog everywhere...inside outside and I never set up fog I only used starry sky ?? what have I done now.

Hm, it sounds as if the fog was part of the prefab you used. I would either delete the one you used and try another one or look for the fog light entity in the prefab and delete it. Note that prefabs may be grouped by default, depending on your settings. In this case you first have to ungroup it (right-click -> Ungroup).

Have a look around your level for little empty blue line boxes. If you see them, check the entity list, if they are func_emitters and you didn't put them there,

then you found the source of your fog. :)

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Fog is produced by lights. Emitters are for particle effects, not static fog. There may well be techniques for adding fog via particle emitters, but searching only for func_emitter entities won't locate the fog source if it is produced by a light volume.

• Like 1

I have attached 3 pictures of what had happened, but the dreaded has happened and I have managed to screw everything up and lost half of my mini map...sp Tomorrow I am going to start over with a clearer head, but if anyone knows what was causing this I would be very grateful to know.Thanks.

post-3003-0-02872000-1534963828_thumb.jpg

post-3003-0-76483500-1534963844_thumb.png

post-3003-0-92888400-1534963855_thumb.jpg

I tried deleting my ambient light but it was still the same, then tried changing my sky prefab thing and then replaced my sky textures to something else..and then I got a leak tried as hard as I could but couldnt find it and accidentally deleted some major bits and had a hissy fit..so I have rediscovered my inner being (have I hell) and am going to start all over again like ......damn!.

Well, if you're starting over again anyway, see if this series is helpful: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18945-tdm-new-mappers-workshop/?p=407999

Just remember to save your map as a different version each save. ie map_1, map_2 so if you screw up you can go backwards. If you really get stuck,

ask someone to take a look at your map.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Thank you for your help guys (I hope I'm not being sexist there). The trouble is when attempting something new you have to un-learn all the previous knowledge and start from scratch and one huge mistake I made here was to leave rooms un caulked on the outside and not tidying up the outer edges and when I checked for the leak that popped up I found sky textures all over the place where they shouldn't have been, my fault, nobody elses, I just tried to hurry my way through the tutorial instead of reading the tips that were added especially the caulk tip.."caulk everything", lesson learned so I will try again but this time I will make an outside so that I can get the sky right to begin with as I got into such a mess with it.

Don't worry about throwing away your very first attempt at making a map. My first attempt at using Dromed was absolute garbage. The brushes weren't even properly snapped to the grid, and I made a total mess of trying to create a gap for a door to fit in.

Once you get more proficient at mapping you will be able to replace all the work you have done so far within about 2 minutes of starting a new map.

to hurry my way through the tutorial instead of reading the tips that were added especially the caulk tip.."caulk everything",

I'm not sure what tutorial you're using, but there is no particular need to use caulk anywhere. It can be useful in some cases but there's certainly no need to "caulk everything".

• Like 1