The Dark Mod Forums

Ravens Brain.

Ravenhook

I have been advised to start a link so that I can ask questions and receive answers and keep them in one place for future reference, this is a brilliant idea and so this is my mind palace. Be brutal, be rude...I can take it and what gems I can pick up will stay , I had a 5'4" ex para RSM who used to stand on an orange box to get eyeball to eyeball while he bawled you out and I took that to so..be brutal please.

Ok, I have created a streetlight and now I am looking to light it, I cant find a specific light for the streetlight, looking in...create entity>lights>light sources, but there seems to be everything but electric light?..what one do you use for an outside streetlight please. Thank you.

Edited by Ravenhook

Fiddling with a light entity and trying to get a yellow look out of it but when I adjust the lum down to 80 the colour drops off too, can you keep the colour you choose but just lower the brightness (lum) or is it not possible.

Have you alreay tried the light inspector?

1. Click on your light entity

2. Press "L".

3. Under "Colours" you will see a white field (not the field with the word "White" in it; it's the field right from this particular one.

4. Click on the white field with the left mouse.

5. Select the colour you want.

Maybe you should check Springheel's tutorial videos. Lights are discussed in lesson 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShZjGVZCC78

Hmm, going into projected>lights>ambient_biground gives the desired effect but the downside is that the streetlight now doesn't look lit even though it has noshadow 1 attached to it's properties.

Ok, I have created a streetlight and now I am looking to light it, I cant find a specific light for the streetlight, looking in...create entity>lights>light sources, but there seems to be everything but electric light?..what one do you use for an outside streetlight please. Thank you.

There are light entities for that purpose. They use a scriptobject by default that handles the skin of the model, so that if you turn the lamp off, it turns dark and vice versa. It may not be necessary in your case, but I would recommend that you get used to use combined/stock light entities instead of a model + a light, as this will safe you a lot of work.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Have checked those out thank you Obsttorte.

As I want the tunnel mouth to go through a solid brush I have filled in the gap of the two straight sides, now I need two brushes clipped to surround the circular part of the tunnel so that I am left with a nice flat surface up on top. Is there a tutorial, written or video of that type of clipping please. Thank you.

I have included two shots of the tunnel mouth with the two filler pieces. (ignore the awful brightness as I have enhanced the hell out of them to show them up)

post-3003-0-92015100-1535199569_thumb.jpg

post-3003-0-22363000-1535199578_thumb.jpg

For the circular part you have to use patches.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Patches are the cleaner option. You could also use the clipper tool, which is quick and dirty. Basically you'd do the same thing as demonstrated here, except with diagonal cuts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la_fOOQE5Wg&t=1065s

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle  *  A Reputation to Uphold  *  A New Job  *  A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules  *  Speedbuild Challenge  *  New Mappers Workshop  *  Building Traps

Ok I give in...how do I chop out the half cylinder from the block please,...in an idiot proof and age related step by step guide for thickies.

Did you watch the video? You do that, but with diagonal cuts. Then delete the leftover part (in red below)

post-9-0-64209700-1535228133_thumb.jpg

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle  *  A Reputation to Uphold  *  A New Job  *  A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules  *  Speedbuild Challenge  *  New Mappers Workshop  *  Building Traps

Ravenhook, it looks like you're working through Fidcal's A-Z tutorial from the wiki?

I think we should swap over to recommending Springheel's visual tutorials as the primary learning material for DarkRadiant, as it's far more recent so there are no outdated methods, much easier to follow and would result in a proper playable mission at the end of the last video.

Yes I did watch the brilliant video which I might add I have downloaded and burned onto a disc, problem with me is that I have to listen through headphones on my pc owing to have dull hearing and a screaming sort of noise in one ear add to that poor eyesight in one eye...I was a combat soldier for very many years as a support gunner (machine gunner) and unlike todays soldiers no eye protection and no earplugs and just the noble beret for head protection..God I miss those days, I also care for my wife and concentration is a bit on the thin side so I find it difficult to refer back and forth to a dvd which I scribble notes from unlike a printed out tutorial which I simply underline so yes I was using Fidcals A-Z. I saw the cut out part as above and was trying to do it neatly, a oversized tunnel portal prefab would be nice to hide the choppy clipping that I'm going to achieve but you never know and I will keep trying until I get the look I'm after.

Thanks for your patience with this old man. :laugh:

On a totally unrelated side note I'm quite looking forward to seeing your work when it's finished, as a soldier you have live experience of things like positioning protective lighting, patrol routes & guard placements so it's going to be interesting to see what you come up with

I had started a set of maps for dromed in newdark but the limitations had started to catch up with me and I lost interest, but this is far superior and more engaging so I am going to put what I had into DarkMod and see how it turns out..after I master some of the basics.

As a tip for patches which took me ages to find out. When texturing patches, you'll notice sometimes the texture is terribly distorted. The trick is

to make a brush in the plane you want the texture to be, texture that; then edit/copy shader and paste it to the patch. It distorts because the source

of the texture was a different plane. Also, remember detail detail detail the heck out of it, and when you think you're done, go back and do some more. lol

Before you release, let others who are more experienced, take a look and give you any guidance. Someone you admire is a good choice. Happy mapping,

it's so much fun :)

• Like 2

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Ok, having moved on and not had any of the dreaded "leak" problems..touch wood, cross all my fingers,toes and eyebrows and hug a black cat just in case, I have seen somewhere how to make a street look uneven along with rounding off building corners, I dont my street looking all boring and flat. TY.