The Dark Mod Forums

tdm_updater issues

brethren

I just updated from 2.05 to 2.06, and ran into the same issue I had the last time I updated. And the time before that.

If you don't go to "Advanced Options" and tick the box that says "Don't let the tdm updater update itself," you will just run into an endless loop and never get the update completed.

So my question is - why does this option even exist? The process seems entirely broken. Shouldn't the option be check marked by default? I guess I don't see what is accomplished by even having this as an option. Most software updates just run, update your software, and then exit. Done. I must be missing something here? If so, I'd be curious to know what it is.

Edit: OK so now, even more confusing stuff going on. When i first posted, TDM was in the middle of updating. Now it appears that I'm stuck in a new loop, where the updater is continually trying to download a file called:

tdm_update_2.05_to_2.06.zip (234.8 MB)

from just about every server available. It's been going on for about a half an hour now. I guess I'll cancel it and try to re-run it.

Edited by brethren

>> techsupport

Make your tdm folder writeabble to everyone and then run the updater again.

(rightclick on tdm folder > properties > security > edit > users > full control)

Or remove the updater, download it manually from the site and make your tdm folder writable to everyone.

Or run my installer:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19561-testing-new-tdm-installer-201807/?do=findComment&comment=425277

and during the set-up select your tdm folder, in the updater select avanced options and uncheck "Don't let the tdm updater update itself,"

Why this option exists?

Because at the moment its a "chicking or the egg-problem".

@dev:is it possible to jump to another (renamed) process to kill the first process?

Is the download slow?

You can switch tdm downloadmirrors, by editing tdm_mirrors file.

Comment out the slow mirror.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I just updated from 2.05 to 2.06, and ran into the same issue I had the last time I updated. And the time before that.

If you don't go to "Advanced Options" and tick the box that says "Don't let the tdm updater update itself," you will just run into an endless loop and never get the update completed.

The tdm_update often changes, that is the reason for having self-update.

For instance, if you use the old version of tdm_update (i.e. you run the one from 2.05 with "don't let tdm updater update itself"), then you will certainly get into infinite loop.

Without a doubt, you should use the newest version of tdm_update.

As for the original endless loop, I have no idea what happens.

You'd better download new tdm_update.exe from website, and overwrite your existing exe with it.

Then run it, and hopefully you won't get into any infinite loop.

P.S. In case of trouble, you can attach the file tdm_update.log.

Without it we can only guess what went wrong on your end.