The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Mission of Mercy (by joebarnin) 2018/09/14

joebarnin

Thanks!Needed something new to get into , this little mission should do the trick nicely!

• Like 1

Congratulations on your first mission. :) I'm playing it atm, n it's a very nice mission. I like the design of the warehouse.

I can't find the key to the chest in room 3, is there a clue somewhere? Also in Symons room, he mentions a switch, I guess he's referring to the light switch as I couldn't

find any others in that room

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

The key for the chest:

Tipp:

Go further, if you read the dairy in the same room.

Solution:

The key is in the secret room located in the basement.

The switch:

Tipp:

Yes, there is a well hidden switch in Symon's room.

Solution:

When you "sit" on the desk, left side of the desk.

• Like 3

With regards to

the switch in Symons' room

The switch is in a different location for each difficultly level. But it is always on the desk. Try using the candle for illumination (works better than the lantern for close up)

edit: uses spoiler tags now

Edited by joebarnin

Nice and well crafted first FM!

One question:

Where's the library case switch?

Ah, found the tip above!

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Congrats on your first mission! Played it on the weekend and enjoyed it.

Your clues were good so just the right difficulty for finding things. I like when objectives are added as you play along.

I only had one issue. When I picked up the second potion, I had an overlap of text with the loot totals covering my inventory in the bottom right corner. Haven't seen anyone else mention it so not sure what happened but made it difficult to see what I had. See attached pic. I took it towards end of mission as I almost forgot.post-3777-0-93844800-1537199582_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all your hard work and I look forward to more.

• Like 1

Hello Joe (that is, if this is your real name),

Thank you very much for your mission.

I have to admit that I have not played through it (till now! I will do it! Word!), but I have checked your design.

What to say? Very Thief-like!

Your mission is a good example why I started to play the Dark Mod after Eidos Montreal released Thief 4: Guys like you know hot to create a title that feels like "Thief". There are companies who had (and have) the opportunity to follow your example, but they are not able to do so. The reasons for that are open to speculation.

I am looking forward to your next mission (after I have played this one! :))

Best regards,

JF

• Like 1

Congrats on your first mission! Played it on the weekend and enjoyed it.

Your clues were good so just the right difficulty for finding things. I like when objectives are added as you play along.

I only had one issue. When I picked up the second potion, I had an overlap of text with the loot totals covering my inventory in the bottom right corner. Haven't seen anyone else mention it so not sure what happened but made it difficult to see what I had. See attached pic. I took it towards end of mission as I almost forgot.attachicon.gifmercwarehouse_2018-09-16_19.51.35.jpg

Thanks for all your hard work and I look forward to more.

Thanks for the comments. I saw that issue once before, Ill try to track it down.

Hello Joe (that is, if this is your real name),

Thank you very much for your mission.

I have to admit that I have not played through it (till now! I will do it! Word!), but I have checked your design.

What to say? Very Thief-like!

Your mission is a good example why I started to play the Dark Mod after Eidos Montreal released Thief 4: Guys like you know hot to create a title that feels like "Thief". There are companies who had (and have) the opportunity to follow your example, but they are not able to do so. The reasons for that are open to speculation.

I am looking forward to your next mission (after I have played this one! :))

Best regards,

JF

Thanks! Btw, my name is actually Jeff.

Thanks for this, decent little mission, guards are a bit twitchy but handleable, the only issue I had was

Picking up the potion bottle from the chest in room 3 took several attempts as the chest kept frobbing instead of the bottle, got it eventually though

Very good for a first attempt

• Like 1

Thank you! I was craving a little bit of Thief, started this up, and I really enjoyed this mission. 85 gold shy of max, which is close enough that I might have to go scour even more vigorously with a fine toothed comb, but I'm pleased anyway. Thank you for the mission, but curse you for

incredibly non-obvious buttons that didn't really highlight so I just had to click and see if they actually WERE buttons.

I both love that very much and hate that very much at the same time. Love wins, but that is ever so slightly dastardly wicked.

Edited by Shaz
  • Like 1

Thank you! I was craving a little bit of Thief, started this up, and I really enjoyed this mission. 85 gold shy of max, which is close enough that I might have to go scour even more vigorously with a fine toothed comb, but I'm pleased anyway. Thank you for the mission, but curse you for

incredibly non-obvious buttons that didn't really highlight so I just had to click and see if they actually WERE buttons.

I both love that very much and hate that very much at the same time. Love wins, but that is ever so slightly dastardly wicked.

Thanks for the comments. Regarding

the buttons, that wasn't intentional. They do highlight, but not very well (depending on the lighting). I suspect it is the material that I used for the button. There are workarounds for this (maybe using a different material, or increasing the frob brightness). If/when I do a version 2, I'll look into fixing this

In response, I'll just say that it could be used to excellent effect to make something both exposed and well hidden. That's why it triggered the love/hate reaction. It's oh so tricky, but if you've read something, and know it has to be there, somewhere- it's perfect like that!

I look forward to more of your missions. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice and well crafted first FM!

One question:

Where's the library case switch?

Ah, found the tip above!

What library switch?

(Not on my machine, In Europé, but it works excellent )

My hobby built desktop is: XFX Play Hard-nVidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI

Onboard is:

CPU: Intel Socket 775

VGA: nVidia GeForce EVGA GTX-260

RAM: DDRIII 16Gb

HDD: 2 Tb

All service packs and latest drivers installed.

I'm stuck... How do I get in to room #6? & the book someone mentioned in room 3, I can't find it. Can someone just spoil the safe number?

Edited by acolyte6

(Not on my machine, In Europé, but it works excellent )

My hobby built desktop is: XFX Play Hard-nVidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI

Onboard is:

CPU: Intel Socket 775

VGA: nVidia GeForce EVGA GTX-260

RAM: DDRIII 16Gb

HDD: 2 Tb

All service packs and latest drivers installed.

I'm stuck... How do I get in to room #6? & the book someone mentioned in room 3, I can't find it. Can someone just spoil the safe number?

Room 6 is unlocked. It's got double doors, and it's right across from room 7.

You have to read the book in room 3 to complete one of the objectives. It's wedged between some of the crates. There are several crates with flasks in them; the book is just to the right of one of them. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll send a picture.

The book has a clue for the safe number, but here's the answer...

The safe combo is 724