The Dark Mod Forums

Feature request: emissive materials/volumetric lights

peter_spy

IMO it only needs performance optimization. With number of samples around 30, the performance is solid, but banding is too prominent. Something around 90 looks pretty good (for projection textures), but it's too performance-heavy. So either having 90 samples at the cost of 30 would be great, or maybe some interpolation between those 30 samples will look better.

Is that with quickBlur on the projected texture?

Yup, the fast blur does nothing to improve banding along the light frustum, it only kind of dims the light. Only the number of samples increases quality of a light shaft.

Please try with shadows on and off (not the r_shadows but the light material flag)

Questions:

What kind of fallback happens if the mode or hardware doesn't support this shader?

Does this render the same way (using shadow maps) even when r_shadows = 1 ?

If not, does the light render as a standard light or a blend light (etc)?

Does it not render at all or not produce any fallback effect?

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Questions:

What kind of fallback happens if the mode or hardware doesn't support this shader?

Hardware not supported - undefined

Does this render the same way (using shadow maps) even when r_shadows = 1 ?

If using stencil shadows, no render

If not, does the light render as a standard light or a blend light (etc)?

It has its own code path

Does it not render at all or not produce any fallback effect?

Currently nothing at all but we can just ignore the shadows for the stencil case

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Btw. Duzenko, did you manage to solve performance problems with higher sample value?

Not really

I guess we can target this as an option for high-end systems

Duzenko, if you plan working on this further, now I have something more of an actual map scene / environment to test light shafts:

Sure

• Like 1

Duzenko, if you plan working on this further, now I have something more of an actual map scene / environment to test light shafts:

in the above screenshot how did you place the bounce light so it didn't overlap into adjacent rooms, I assume its a noshadows light?