The Dark Mod Forums

Old Textures Converted To New

AtariThief

I am currently taking all of the old Thief 2 textures and converting them for use with the editor. That means I'm adding shaders for each and every "Family". I have 30% completed. I know I can't Give you the textures, but you might be able to give me some advice. Oh and by the way the textures need to be resized. And even though the old textures are OLD they kick butt in the new editor with shaders applied. ;) E-Mail me if I can be of use. I build maps as well- only stuctures for now I will try to put up pictures some time later...

Thanks I'll check it out. If you need a mapper just let me know. Oh and you can use The Wolfenstein Enemy Territory editor to make your maps if you like. Just rename the Map files .PFB and use the Doom3 editor to import prefabs>

There would be a way how to distribute this. You are not allowed to distribute the textures itself, but you can distribute the shaders and everything. Unless you are modifing the textures as well you could provide these, and one could write a little program, that installs this on a given machine. When a map is created with these textures the installer just has to make sure that it fits the local machine.

Gerhard

If that IS legal (should check this out with someone; Eidos?), we can distribute such a tool with the mod, to generate the extra textures.

However, the downside is they're all quite low detail and only 256 colours, and don't have any normal or specular maps. I'm not sure how useful it would REALLY be.

In theory one could write impressive shaders for the textures that would improve there quality.. only problem is I'm a noob when it comes to shaders. I have the basic shaders almost completely written. Oh and I'm going to try and re-create Miss01 of Thief2- structural only... I can only release pictures though...

Edited by AtariThief

Thank you thank you! I've been learning the Doom 3 editor in anticpation of TDM and was sick at looking at all the metal textures. Your pack will be good to give me an idea how my architecture will look in the "real Thief world" as I build it, Course when TDM is released I'll go through and redo all the textures. Some City textures especially, please? Especially the Fachwerkhäuser textures, windows, and doors. Stone and such is pretty easy to scrounge up elsewhere.

Ok I have some shader work done for the old Thief2 textures.

It works fine in GTK Radiant 1.5.0 "Doom3 Support"

Sample Materials List Code

Thief_Core_2.mtr

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

//Wood-

textures/Thief_Core_2/Woodblt

{

wood

qer_editorimage textures/Thief_Core_2/Woodblt.dds

map textures/Thief_Core_2/Woodblt.dds

}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still need to work on this though because this isnt right....?

Edited by AtariThief

Ok I have some shader work done for the old Thief2 textures.

It works fine in GTK Radiant 1.5.0 "Doom3 Support"

Sample Materials List Code

Thief_Core_2.mtr

//Wood-

{

wood

qer_editorimage textures/Thief_Core_2/Woodblt.dds

map textures/Thief_Core_2/Woodblt.dds

}

I still need to work on this though because this isnt right....?

Man, that's a funky material file entry...

Try this instead:

//Wood-
{
  qer_editorimage    textures/Thief_Core_2/Woodblt.dds

diffusemap         textures/Thief_Core_2/Woodblt.dds
}

Thanks, Renzatic that worked I fixed a test subject as below

//Wood-

textures/Thief_Ancient/full

{

wood

qer_editorimage textures/Thief_Ancient/full

diffusemap textures/Thief_Ancient/full

}

The "wood" entry is so the wall has wood hit sounds.

Hit the wall with your flashlight and you'll get a wood like hit sound.

Once again Thank You Renzatic !!!! :)

shameless linkage....

http://student.ccbcmd.edu/~jthon1/shot00001.tga

http://student.ccbcmd.edu/~jthon1/shot00002.tga

Edited by AtariThief

Hi AtariThief. First off your textures look good, and I really like the reflection you added to one of the textures. They might look even better if you use a photoshop filter. Its called unsharp mask, and you can find it under filter->sharpen->unsharp mask. Contrary to what you might think this filter does, it actually will sharpen up the textures. For example in your first and second pic that you posted, I noticed that they look kind of pixelated. I know they are old textures, but if you use the unsharp mask on those textures the seashells will probably sharpen up a bit. If you do use the unsharp mask let me know how it turned out, or even better post some screens of the before and after shots. Keep up the good work.

Howdy, outlaw. Thanks for the advice I'll try it. I'm only using PaintShop Pro for the time being. All the textures have been converted at the moment. I'll post some new pics soon.