The Dark Mod Forums

Things we can do to make TDM more like every other stealth game

V-Man339

Achievements and microtranscations with overpriced, useless cards of abstract nothingness from virtual non-entities.

• Like 3

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Thanks for proving Poe's Law correct.

Poe's Law is indeed as correct as it is trivial - but you did not prove it. You proved, that it is hard to verify a law about unlikely extremes without using unlikely extremes.

Obviously, what you think of as an unlikely extreme is what sells to millions of players every year - wich is the opposite of having a low expected probability of acceptance.

You basically tried to prove Poe's Law by suggesting selling sliced bread. Yes, they sell sliced bread and yes, people are buying (and only a subset of them because of lazyness).

Also keep in mind, that most TDM players probably also play games like Dishonored, Styx, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid and Deus Ex. Some of the mechanics seen there are indeed nice to have (wich ones depends on whom you ask, but mobility enchancements and interaction options seem to surpisingly be the favorites).

Also, most (all?) posters did indeed detect the satiric intend but would like to have one or the other feature in TDM regardless.

There also are some features, that none here seems to like (wich would serve to disprove Poe's Law - but i know, that there are people on the internet liking quest markers and microtransactions, and one of them is enough for "there exists at least one..." axioms).

Objective markers of course! Wouldn't want players getting lost in all those new fancy graphics and UI features.

Well, they would actually be usefull in your missions...

Were only a few fixed auto save points instead of free saving already mentioned? Of course they need to be at the beginning of important cutscenes so you have to watch them over and over if you failed! And none near really critical portions of the game...

Obsttorte implemented save restrictions (Wiki page)

:P

• Like 1

Objective markers of course! Wouldn't want players getting lost in all those new fancy graphics and UI features.

I recently read that in Red Dead Redemtion 2 the quest markers can be turned off, which in turn changes the dialogues so they include landmarks in the directions given by NPCs. Apparently, some game devs also do not like quest markers...

• Like 1

I recently read that in Red Dead Redemtion 2 the quest markers can be turned off, which in turn changes the dialogues so they include landmarks in the directions given by NPCs. Apparently, some game devs also do not like quest markers...

That second part is a small miracle, since a lot of "well just turn those features off if you don't like them" arguments fall flat precisely because the game isn't designed with that in mind.

• Like 1

My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
My eyes forever focused on the sanguine metal dawn.

That second part is a small miracle, since a lot of "well just turn those features off if you don't like them" arguments fall flat precisely because the game isn't designed with that in mind.

Well from Destined's description it seems like RDR2's devs are making sure not to make that mistake. Hopefully they've designed the game the other way around, with no markers in mind first.

My FMs: By The Cookbook

Yeah I spotted it was satire, but then I kinda got carried away with the crowd idea :rolleyes:

Assassin's Creed uses crowd emulation, but its implementation still feels cheesy. It could be pretty awesome for simulating ant streets though (not a joke, having bugs and ants might really improve the immersion of warrens and sewers or even just gardens in TDM).

• Like 1

Don't forget, guys, we're gonna have to port TDM to every console on the market, which means henceforth all missions must be smaller and contain load screens in unintuitive places.

We've also got to show off our swanky graphics and animations, so QTEs are now a must. Players like pointlessly mashing buttons in a stealth game, right?

And of course, don't neglect the XP system and wildly unbalanced skill trees. Extra XP for headshots, anyone?

Oh, and to streamline our player experience, mappers must now make missions more linear and periodically implement points of no return to force progression. Obviously, our audience can't handle sprawling maps, organic exploration, and actual problem-solving that involves a decent bit of thinking. I mean, what are we, an "immersive sim"? Ridiculous, I tell you!

• Like 2

Don't forget, guys, we're gonna have to port TDM to every console on the market, which means henceforth all missions must be smaller and contain load screens in unintuitive places.

Isn't that rather yester-yesterday though? :) I think the last generations of consoles all stream games like on PC no problem.

OK enough of this "make it like every other game on the market" crap ... lets make it better than every other game on the market !

Lets put an interference pattern on the monitor that reprograms a human brain through their visual cortex & lets them play the game in their head, it'll be full sensorium, we could have two people play together just by looking at the same monitor, I mean how much more immersive can you get, forget Oculus !

• Like 1

That's amazing!! If I remember correctly, Morrowind was the last game for me that actually did that. It was so cool when your first mission was "to report to Balmora" and you had to look at the street signs to actually find Balmora. Aaaah, those fond memories. I gotta replay that beautiful game one da.

• Like 1

Best game design news I've heard all day ! B)

At least someone is finally realising there needs to be more effort put into the quest marker options than just "turn them off if you don't like them", resulting in an unplayable game, because of its reliance on quest markers. Taking the golden middle route and offering directions in the narrative/dialogue after the QMs are turned off is a very, very welcomed idea. I hope more devs take note of this, even though I know making extra alternate recordings for the lines about local directions can take a while to record.

Edited by Petike the Taffer

I was mildly considering this game untill I heard the Dev was Rockstar, and my decision was cememented when I heard the CEO bragging about running his devs at 100hr weeks - like thats something you brag about - in a phrase " what a complete c**t "

Edited by Bikerdude
  • Like 1

Assassin's Creed uses crowd emulation, but its implementation still feels cheesy. It could be pretty awesome for simulating ant streets though (not a joke, having bugs and ants might really improve the immersion of warrens and sewers or even just gardens in TDM).

Awesome idea for a mission! Make player sneak through a spider nest - one mistake and you will be swarmed with dozens of monsters!

S2wtMNl.gif

More modding, I mean being able to add mz own custom weapons and enemies.

(If that's allready possible give me link and tell me were to start)

More modding, I mean being able to add mz own custom weapons and enemies.

(If that's allready possible give me link and tell me were to start)

Depends on whether you mean TDM or other stealth games.