The Dark Mod Forums

Broken Glass Studios logo concept (rough mockup)

Petike the Taffer

it was supposed to be a broken spyglass.

although i always thought that the clock face and the text at the top of the forum was the logo, its the thing that's recognized by everyone, used in magazine reviews, be strange to change it now.

Edited by stumpy

although i always thought that the clock face and the text at the top of the forum was the logo, its the thing that's recognized by everyone, used in magazine reviews, be strange to change it now.

The Clock Face and text is the logo for The Dark Mod, this is for Broken Glass Studios the name we use for the Modding team. Two separate things. Nothing would be changed.

I like the concept. The shards might better fit the shape of the window, and if there were a way to make it look a bit more like a burglar breaking and entering that would play up that part.

This isn't an icon really for branding or official use though. It should be iconified, put in a more compact package and possibly simplified elements. We're not this official, but the idea is it'd be the kind of image you'd put in the center or corner of a letterhead, which isn't what you can do with this. So keep that in mind.

This is for fun right now, so good to manage expectations what can become of this, since there are a lot of opinions and factors. But as a fan project for fun it's nice to play around for now IMO.

• Like 2

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Maybe you already thought of this, but just in case, it might be worth arranging and slanting the shards (in a 3D kind of way) to give the impression of movement. As demagogue said, they could also fit the shape of the window in some recognizable way. Unless they're made smaller.

Just some other ideas that came to mind: the shards don't have to not overlap the window, and maybe a shard or two could even remain in the window.

Might be worth making a rough simulation in 3D and use it as reference, if you can.

a3.png

My FMs: By The Cookbook

Well, I wasn't ever sure whether it's just The Dark Mod logo (as that's what the title says) or also the BGS logo.

The Clock Face and text is the logo for The Dark Mod, this is for Broken Glass Studios the name we use for the Modding team. Two separate things. Nothing would be changed.

Exactly.

Concerning the TDM logo, if I didn't like it, I would have talked about it ages ago. But I like it very much, and IMHO, it's only improved since the early days. (I saw some of the early mockups in an old concept art thread, and though the future appearance is certainly there, the current version is a lot more polished.)

Edited by Petike the Taffer
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 6:35 AM, Amadeus said:

I kind of love the idea of a (Builder) hammer breaking through a glass pane, although the initial mockup from Petike is also really good :)

I had the idea of including a gear symbol in a little rosetta straight under the arch, but decided against it, as it looked too busy.

I think even the current concept is a bit too busy. Though I like the flying shards idea, the original idea was simply to have an irregular outline of remaining glass panes around the inner side of the window frame, while a few glass shards would be lying under the window. Less dynamic-looking, but possibly better as a 2D logo.

On 10/19/2018 at 5:56 AM, Skaruts said:

Maybe you already thought of this, but just in case, it might be worth arranging and slanting the shards (in a 3D kind of way) to give the impression of movement. As demagogue said, they could also fit the shape of the window in some recognizable way. Unless they're made smaller.

Just some other ideas that came to mind: the shards don't have to not overlap the window, and maybe a shard or two could even remain in the window.

Might be worth making a rough simulation in 3D and use it as reference, if you can.

One other possibility, certainly.

Though presuming you'd keep the window, it would have to be reorientated to a from-the-profile position, and I'm not sure whether that would look better.

As others have and will no doubt remark, making a convincing 3D logo, one that's simple and not too busy in content, is tough. Logos should be simple. I think even my current 2D concept is a little too busy. The size and position of the shards could be completely different, as it tries to invoke some 3D sense of movement, but IMHO, isn't all that convincing. Though your idea is cool, I'm worrying about the opposite thing - about the shards starting to look too complex, and again a little too busy for what's meant to be just a logo.

Of course, concerning the logo contents, pretty much everything could change. About the only thing I'd probably preserve is some (visible or hidden) eye motif and something that points to glass-related stuff.

On 10/18/2018 at 10:03 PM, stumpy said:

it was supposed to be a broken spyglass.

It was ?

On 10/18/2018 at 10:08 PM, Springheel said:

When was that established?

I think one of the GAMBIT podcast episodes mentions it (the fact that it was meant to be a looking glass of some sort, but was mistaken for a spyglass). Sadly, I forget which exact episode namedropped that little curio.

On 10/19/2018 at 5:04 AM, demagogue said:

This isn't an icon really for branding or official use though. It should be iconified, put in a more compact package and possibly simplified elements. We're not this official, but the idea is it'd be the kind of image you'd put in the center or corner of a letterhead, which isn't what you can do with this. So keep that in mind.

Pretty much what I meant by the need for feedback. This is the rough initial idea and I welcome anyone to chip it back until we get something very simple, but (relatively) clear in meaning.

On 10/19/2018 at 5:04 AM, demagogue said:

This is for fun right now, so good to manage expectations what can become of this, since there are a lot of opinions and factors. But as a fan project for fun it's nice to play around for now IMO.

My expectations are complete zero. :D I just made the whole thing for fun, as a thought experiment.

typo

I like the concept. The shards might better fit the shape of the window, and if there were a way to make it look a bit more like a burglar breaking and entering that would play up that part.

I quite like that idea, might get a bit 'busy' though, maybe leave most of the glass in the frame, have fewer shards & a hand reaching through the break for the handle to open the window something like that ?

Or a blackjack hitting the window (sticking through it a bit) with only a couple of shards flying off. Although I like the homage with the eye, which is pretty hard to implement in this idea...

Hm, can windows be broken with the blackjack in TDM and wouldn't this be conflicting to the usual silent approach ;)?

Hello Petike the Taffer, your logo is very nice but I studied graphic design (not that i'm claiming to be a master), so sorry if i'm going to critique your work a little. Ok the logo is fine but imo is too illustrative, with to much unnecessary information, simplicity is the key, for example there's to much shards, the detail in the eye will be totally lost if you shrink the logo, making it only good for certain sizes,etc.

Btw this is why, flat design, is so prevalent now imo to much so, but liking flat design or not, one of the new "rules" is that a logo must be simple enough and and at the same time transmite the desired idea.

I made two (fast) simplified examples of your design but they are just pointers not trying to say this is what TDM should use.

In this one the eye could be simplified even more to its essential features

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10KH-QhE6gegmkK7FSnYRgNlPG0Yp734d/view?usp=sharing

Or a even simple one

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12jS0BhE2m7RWbjAM-H51TMmqCWg4zlua/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1

I think one of the GAMBIT podcast episodes mentions it (the fact that it was meant to be a looking glass of some sort, but was mistaken for a spyglass). Sadly, I forget which exact episode namedropped that little curio.

I thought the "broken spyglass" reference was to our logo, not the LGS one. I'm the one that came up with the name, and I don't remember it ever being established that the broken glass referred to a broken spyglass.

My memory is pretty foggy, but the only discussion I can recall about potential visuals was a stained glass window.

The spyglass is just a direct reference to the LGS "looking glass", which in their logo is a spyglass.

Our "broken glass" obviously refers to the LGS "looking glass", so that's the logic of a broken spyglass (whether or not anyone actually thought it out like that before).

Also it's a standard tool in our inventory.

I'm fine with it being a window being broken though.

I feel like there are multiple ideas that could work in theory, but we'll know the right one when we see it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I feel like there are multiple ideas that could work in theory, but we'll know the right one when we see it.

Exactly. I quite like HMart's suggestion of including a single stylised shard. As simplistic as that is, it would be a nice bit of minimalism.

I thought the "broken spyglass" reference was to our logo, not the LGS one. I'm the one that came up with the name, and I don't remember it ever being established that the broken glass referred to a broken spyglass. My memory is pretty foggy, but the only discussion I can recall about potential visuals was a stained glass window.

Not to our logo, no. I'm not saying you named it after a spyglass or mirror or anything. :)

I always considered the BGS name an ironic nod to LGS. They're gone as a developer, the TDM team has sort of taken up the mantle, in a hobbyist way, so the team is the titular "broken glass" that remains after the "looking glass" (mirror) has been shattered. That's at least how I always understood the moniker of the TDM team.

I made two (fast) simplified examples of your design but they are just pointers not trying to say this is what TDM should use.

In this one the eye could be simplified even more to its essential features

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10KH-QhE6gegmkK7FSnYRgNlPG0Yp734d/view?usp=sharing

Or a even simple one

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12jS0BhE2m7RWbjAM-H51TMmqCWg4zlua/view?usp=sharing

Both are interesting, but if we're going to simplify it, I'd prefer going all-out simplistic and trying something in the vein of the second one. Just a single shard of glass. Even if the LGS nod is lost, it doesn't matter, so long as its an accurate "speaking logo". :)

Though presuming you'd keep the window, it would have to be reorientated to a from-the-profile position, and I'm not sure whether that would look better.

To be clear, the image I showed wasn't supposed to represent my vision or anything. I just couldn't find anything better from the same perspective as your original concept. Was mostly just to illustrate the movement thing.

My FMs: By The Cookbook

I think more needs to be done with the typography. These are a couple quick mock-ups of the kind of thing I was thinking of.

This is actually pretty brilliant ! B)

You're right they might need some minor tweaking, but I'm really loving these. They look excellent. :)

Personally, I like both of your designs, but I can understand the others that the black and white version provides a bit more contrast.

• Like 1