The Dark Mod Forums

diagonaly placed vis portal?

Zen3001

Anything wrong with that? Non of the tutorials I've seen and read seem to do it like that but with this you have to get a little closer to the visportals at the cornors for the next area to render.

b4OodWw.png

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it, but take my word with a grain of salt. I'm not that experienced in this engine yet.

Indeed it's the one advantage I see in this, is that the player has to be even closer to the corner for the portal to open. So the engine will be making less calculations for longer.

This is also possible: two visportals that intersect the corners, in game each of them will be divided in two (ignore the different textures there, I'm making experiments with transparency). Also, that they're facing away from each other isn't accidental in this specific case. When I first tested this the bottom portal (on the 3D view) was facing the other portal, and the half that converges with the other portal was being discarded by the engine (so I ended up with 1 less portal).

27j3zzL.png

Edited by Skaruts
  • Like 3

My FMs: By The Cookbook

How do you make them translucent in the editor? that would make navigating through the 3d mode a lot easier

I had to edited the textures and added some stuff to their materials file. I've been thinking of posting it around here at some point.

Could you please? That would be such a useful quality of life improvement (at least for me, I'm sure for others too). Love the idea of translucent visportals

• Like 4

Huh, I didn't even realise you could have translucent editor textures (and I wrote the damn code)...

I had a go at this a long time ago but couldn't overcome a few problems. This time I found a bit of workaround that seems to work. I may post it maybe later today or tomorrow morning (europe time).

• Like 2

My FMs: By The Cookbook