The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Mod Ost Release

Fingernail

Well, we told you it was coming, and here it is: a sample of some of the ambient tracks which will be available to FM authors right from release, plus a few more melodic tracks (which may well end up in our own campaign...) and the music from our Christmas trailer.

Thanks to the entire sound team; the mp3 files are encoded with the author's name so you know who made what.

Altogether about 26Mb, .zip containing mp3 files.

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/darkmod_ost1.zip

Enjoy! B)

Very nice I like "19. Dark Mod Teaser (Tyrot).mp3"...

This is going to be cool

Edit: I just finished converting the "19. Dark Mod Teaser (Tyrot).mp3" file to

Wave

96kHz

2 Channel

24 Bit

(In Heaven)

Edited by AtariThief

to pak and co. my compliments. And all due gratitude to everyone here. I'm very busy and really only have time to play one game at a time (and it takes me a loooong time to get through a game)- ever since Thief Gold came out all I've really played is Thief games and fan missions- they're all I've liked enough to make time for. Now that I'm getting towards the end of DS, people are asking me what I'm going to play next, and my flat answer is The Dark Mod. Of course I have to explain to them what it is, and they think I'm kinda wierd because I get all geeked out telling them about it. I'm buying Doom 3 here pretty soon for the sole purpose of playing The Dark Mod. I can't wait for it, and I love it when stuff like this album comes out from you guys. Keep up the good work. B)

First off, thanks for the compliments. It's nice to hear that the quality of our work is considered up there with the efforts of the other departments - ambients are important to a game, and even more so for this particular genre.

As Fingernail mentioned, some of the songs/ambients you listened to were a bit modified - bear in mind for example, that a few were desinged to loop. Also, consider it will be rather unlikely the tunes will blast at you in the game with full volume, which was set up high for technical reasons.

I'll speak for myself here; Making ambients for a tribute to the game you love most is damned hard! Not only because I have to try and capture the mood and particular feeling that a whole comunity has related to the game, but also because a nagging voice inside me demands not only to copy, but to create.

I like to have feedback on my work just as every other artist. I know it's hard to put a finger on things when it comes to music, but it would be very helpful if you could point out exactly what feels wrong - I can only fix a problem if I know it.

Ok, sorry for rambling. Move on! :)

• Like 1

I know you guys over at the sound department are very buisy makeing these awsome sounds, but, I have a question. Will you be making your sounds in just Stereo or will there be plans for Surround Sound (4.1), 5.1, and 7.1????

I know you guys over at the sound department are very buisy makeing these awsome sounds, but, I have a question. Will you be making your sounds in just Stereo or will there be plans for Surround Sound (4.1), 5.1, and 7.1????

The actual soundfiles are made in stereo, but when the game plays them, they might come at you from any of your seven speakers. :) (The game engine decides where the sound comes from, not the soundfile)

The original Thief game(s) use mono files as a matter of fact.

Try this.

Take an old SFX sound wav from Thief 2

Open SNDrecorder(Comes with windows) and convert to max format.

Then convert the file using Sound Blaster to

Channels: Stereo

Sample Rate: 96000 Hz

Bits Per Sample: 24

Format Type: WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE

and you might notice a difference. I did.

dear TDM

man i really miss you guys...sounds are great...and everyone can use anything, anytime ..there is no problem at all.. it s just making me flattered.

By the way im totally banging my head for Godismygoldfish's teaser trailer music... I hope i can deliver something you guys like it. I switched my audio sequencer software for better sound hope you can hear the difference...

After releasing new screenshots for excmod i will visit you more guys.. YOU are still my Heroes.

your "weterected" fan

tyrot:)

BEST

• 2 months later...

i like some of these alot. the inside mansion one sounds to load. not vary thiefy:). to much going on as in music or a song. twins sounds more thief tho, nive moody back ground sounds the put you on the edge of your set with all the little chims and wisspers. vary nice. it would go good in a pagan cave or a hammer tomb. almost all are vary nice tho. keep up the good work bro.

I would agree, some of the tracks sound great, but others are...a little too distracting as it were. Looking at all those who were previously interested to compose for the Dark Mod (there were quite a few), I think the best course of action would have been to hold a contest between them all for the top 20 works or so (maybe this is what you did, I wouldn't know).

*Sigh*

this was mixed to actually sound good to listen to on it's own.

As Fingernail mentioned, some of the songs/ambients you listened to were a bit modified - bear in mind for example, that a few were desinged to loop. Also, consider it will be rather unlikely the tunes will blast at you in the game with full volume, which was set up high for technical reasons.

It would help if people read the threads before commenting.. :) But thanks for commenting anyway.

Seriously, if people want to, I guess we could release a few background loops and stuff. We only thought it would be more fun to listen to the more "distracting" music/cutscene/theme tracks.

• Recent Status Updates

• Petike the Taffer

I've finally managed to log in to The Dark Mod Wiki. I'm back in the saddle and before the holidays start in full, I'll be adding a few new FM articles and doing other updates. Written in Stone is already done.
      · 1 reply
    • nbohr1more

TDM 15th Anniversary Contest is now active! Please declare your participation: https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/22413-the-dark-mod-15th-anniversary-contest-entry-thread/

· 0 replies
    • JackFarmer

@TheUnbeholden
      You cannot receive PMs. Could you please be so kind and check your mailbox if it is full (or maybe you switched off the function)?
      · 1 reply
    • OrbWeaver

I like the new frob highlight but it would nice if it was less "flickery" while moving over objects (especially barred metal doors).
      · 4 replies
    • nbohr1more

Please vote in the 15th Anniversary Contest Theme Poll

· 0 replies