The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.07

stgatilov

I am not sure, whether i really got all the loot. I definitely tried, but most often i miss some well-hidden trinkets or coins. I blackjacked some AI (including a sleeping one) and might have been almost seen by the elite guard (he barked but did not draw the sword). I tend to quicksave a lot and quickloaded a few times after alerting AI (i generally load if AI starts screaming or drawing weapons). Most often, i get a non-zero stealth score. If a mission has internal leaks, that score can also be 2-digits because then, i tend to alert some innocent bystanders on another floor when running through already emptied hallways.

This was the only time i ever got an all-zero stats screen. The stats screen of the next mission i played showed plausible values.

Thanks, by now we can savely reproduce this behavior. It is FM specific: It happens on Closemouthed Shadows (CS), but not on "A New Job" and the bug is independent of loot and stealthscore. The problem is that in CS, the game wants to show the objectives screen before showing the mission stats, and the objectives screen (correctly) resets all mission data. While NBohr has added a workaround, I am still puzzled as to why the FM wants to show the objectives screen in the first place. I am still investigating this issue as it might point to a bigger problem... Who knows?

• Like 1

I just noticed shadow maps produce flickering self-shadows for things like sliding doors. You can use entities like atdm:mover_door_industrial01_grate and watch the handle shadow. Flickering is gone when you use stencil shadows.

I bet that is an aliasing issue due to the finite resolution of the shadow maps. But lets wait and hear what duzenko says about that.

• Like 1

I just noticed shadow maps produce flickering self-shadows for things like sliding doors. You can use entities like atdm:mover_door_industrial01_grate and watch the handle shadow. Flickering is gone when you use stencil shadows.

I bet that is an aliasing issue due to the finite resolution of the shadow maps. But lets wait and hear what duzenko says about that.

That's another reason I've been evangelizing the use of a temporal buffer and implementing

a temporal sampling method in Shadow Maps. (Smooth shadow motion even with low sample counts.)

Since I'm not skilled enough to implement it myself I can only nag Duzenko and Stgatilov to look into that ;)

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I see no artifacts in warp glass and I've been testing out the faster mantling. Gotta go to work RN but before I do, I filed http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4951 as it's still present in the latest beta. I feel it's an important one to fix if you have architectural models and shadowcaulk walls to seal the map.

To get an early look into this, what happens if you add the "translucent" keyword to your local copy of the shadow caulk material?

• Like 1

To get an early look into this, what happens if you add the "translucent" keyword to your local copy of the shadow caulk material?

Well luckily, you were right on the money for this one. "translucent" solves the issue when placed after "forceOpaque" in common/shadowcaulk, but it does not work with the common/shadow material. Putting "translucent" before or after "forceshadows" doesn't work, only commenting out that keyword solves it.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Thanks for the update.

I have a few things to chew on now.

One thing we can probably do is update the material def for shadowcaulk since that's pretty harmless given the use case.

common/shadow is more fundamental so I'd have to consider the implications there.

I have fixed it now, but just FYI: This bug is an unbelievably rare corner-case! :D It only ever happens if you successfully finish a mission that doesn't have a shop without ever pressing escape, i.e., opening the main menu gui, during that play-through. So cudos to you for finding it. ^^

Thank you for fixing.

I would probably have triggered it for almost all shop-less missions as i rarely use the menu while playing and tend to finish missions in the same session i started them.

Might indeed have been my first mission without a shop in 2.07...

Is this graphical glitch already known?

https://youtu.be/npJUjRi07BY

Can be observed with enhanced interaction shader on WS4, viewpos (5362.51 1166.37 583.25) 53.6. Also happens in 2.06, though. Set Interaction Shader to simple and it's gone.

Confirmed.

I believe there is a problem with texture UV limit math somewhere in the

shader. A similar issue happens on some tables in NHAT 2 politics.

Well luckily, you were right on the money for this one. "translucent" solves the issue when placed after "forceOpaque" in common/shadowcaulk, but it does not work with the common/shadow material. Putting "translucent" before or after "forceshadows" doesn't work, only commenting out that keyword solves it.

It seems that even this workaround is pretty flawed (breaks sealing).

On a lark, let's try adding the controversial "noFog" keyword?

(I was previously rebuffed for attempting to use it in a material because it was deemed a "dmap only" flag?)

Edit: Wait... I think I can fix the noFog keyword...

// Interaction.cpp

// "invisible ink" lights and shaders
        if ( shader->Spectrum() != lightShader->Spectrum() ) {
            continue;
}

// Proposed fix

if ( !shader->ReceivesFog() && lightShader-> IsFogLight() )
{
continue;
}

Gonna need to create ReceivesFog variant "ReceivesFogT" to allow this to work on both

standard and translucent materials.

(Just altered the ReceivesFog define to remove translucent as a fog blacklist instead.

No real reason it was there other than possibly some unfinished work towards different fog behavior.)

Gonna be cool to have noFog functionality :)

Can someone who's used is_mantleable 1 check whether the behavior under this beta is consistent with the old one? I don't remember how it worked but testing it out now it doesn't do anything, any piece of furniture I set as not mantleable I can still mantle over, no matter if the fast mantles are enabled or not.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Can someone who's used is_mantleable 1 check whether the behavior under this beta is consistent with the old one? I don't remember how it worked but testing it out now it doesn't do anything, any piece of furniture I set as not mantleable I can still mantle over, no matter if the fast mantles are enabled or not.

I tested a few func_statics in one of my WIPs and with is_mantleable/0 set I couldn't mantle onto them, which is the correct behavior.

HAHA I FIXED THE NOFOG MATERIAL KEYWORD!!!!

Heart of Lone Salvation with some unfoggable wall textures:

post-3763-0-19015600-1547084717_thumb.jpg

Uses?

Foggy outside, no fog inside room. No need to carefully size the fogLight volume(s).

Check it out:

https://www.moddb.com/company/team-dark-mod/downloads/nofogbuild

This should also fix 4951 since the ReceivesFog condition requires "IsDrawn"

The weird flicking (z-fighting) wall at the start of Heart of Lone Salvation is cured too.

• Like 4

Mapping was conducted by Bikerdude/some1stoleit. The bug was found on 2.07 beta 3, Win 10 64 (no such issues with 2.06).

The map is 2.5.2 version from CUTN beta thread

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksb6t6yu2giglah/cutn_beta_2.5.2.zip?dl=0

getviewpos coordinates:

-685.3 682.59 247.25 53.6 36.5 0.0

-330.11 502.35 -123.75 1.3 -86.8 0.0

-531.9 566.44 -123.75 3.2 -179.0 0.0

-561.38 511.06 -123.75 -5.5 89.3 0.0

This issue seems to be different to 0004877 description or the attached screenshots. No triangles are missing, but they rather just don't get affected by lighting.

Judith noted having affected models instead of brushwork, thus, I think, it's would be better to ask for clarification prior to even opening a new bug rather than returning to the resolved one.

I need help from someone else with this one.

It appears only with stencil shadows, indifferently to softness or beta 3 or 4 of 2.07.

I can confirm that the problem does not happen with Maps shadows, and that it does not depend on softness.

Moreover, it does not depend interaction shader, so this is issue is purely about stencil shadows themselves.

It is worth noting that the quads which are blacked out are not aligned with mesh triangles. In fact, they are usually located around some mesh vertex and affect only parts of surrounding triangles.

Changing r_fboDepthBits did not help (maybe it does not work?). Setting r_shadowPolygonFactor 1 slightly reduced the size of quads, but clearly an unrealistically huge offset is needed to remove them.

So it does not even look like a depth precision problem.

I have a feeling that it is related to computation of shadow volume geometry. I wonder what has changed between 2.06 and 2.07 in this regard?...

About previous versions of TDM.

The issue also happens in both 2.05 and 2.06 x64 (they behave seemingly equal in reproducing the issue). To see the problem on the beds, take a candle in that room, get close to some bed, crouch, and move candle around. With some positions of the candle, you see the same artefacts.

However, TDM 2.07 seems more prone to this issue, and you can see it bold even without moving/toggling anything.

Also it is interesting to know the history of the bed and the toilet meshes. If they are core and exist for a long time, then the issue should have been noticed already. If they are custom and mission-specific, maybe changing mesh serve as a workaround if we fail to find better solution.

Did you try reverting these changes:

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4825

?

AFAIK, the lampglass lost some of it's rim lighting when you changed this

so it hasn't been reverted?

I did not change anything in that section of the code, so I'd be really surprised if anything changed. But just to be sure, you put is_mantleable 0 on that furniture and not 1, right? Furthermore, I hope you just add this to furniture as a test. The player expects to be able to mantle furniture.

I've got a couple issues to report.

Some missions such as "Arena" and "Accountant 1: Thieves and Heirs" crash after the "Press "Attack" to start the mission" screen. This seems to only happen on the initial run and will not crash when I try starting the mission again after the crash. Installing another mission and the reinstalling problem missions causes the crash again, though. This seems to only happen on the 64-bit version.

There is a second issue that makes some missions unplayable. I get an error saying "Script object 'numberweel' not found in entity 'idMover_atdm:numberwheel_small_275'" on missions such as "CoS1: Pearls and Swine" and "Mission of Mercy" during the loading screen. This happens on both 32 and 64-bit.

Both these issues don't seem to happen on 2.06. It happens on both an upgrade from 2.06 and a clean install of 2.07.

• Like 2

I've got a couple issues to report.

Some missions such as "Arena" and "Accountant 1: Thieves and Heirs" crash after the "Press "Attack" to start the mission" screen.

This seems to only happen on the initial run and will not crash when I try starting the mission again after the crash.

Installing another mission and the reinstalling problem missions causes the crash again, though. This seems to only happen on the 64-bit version.

When these crashes happen, is anything written to your Darkmod.log?

There is a second issue that makes some missions unplayable. I get an error saying "Script object 'numberweel'

not found in entity 'idMover_atdm:numberwheel_small_275'" on missions such as "CoS1: Pearls and Swine" and "Mission of Mercy"

during the loading screen. This happens on both 32 and 64-bit.

Both these issues don't seem to happen on 2.06. It happens on both an upgrade from 2.06 and a clean install of 2.07.

In 2.07 it was decided that the numberwheel script from "A New Job" was too specialized to that mission and

that it shouldn't be a mod asset because it was causing mission developers too much trouble when they tried to

use it. To my knowledge, we sent the word out that this change would be happening and any mission using the script

has been repacked to include it in the mission package rather than inheriting from the mod asset base.

Are you playing these from a Savegame?

Did you try deleting these missions and re-downloading them?

Edit:

The latest COS1 appears to have the numberwheel script.

The latest Mission of Mercy does not have the script but the map file, skins, defs, scripts, etc

do not reference it except for a commented out dummy reference?

Some missions such as "Arena" and "Accountant 1: Thieves and Heirs" crash after the "Press "Attack" to start the mission" screen. This seems to only happen on the initial run and will not crash when I try starting the mission again after the crash. Installing another mission and the reinstalling problem missions causes the crash again, though. This seems to only happen on the 64-bit version.

Could you please add a line seta logFile "2" to the end of Darkmod.cfg file and then try to reproduce the crash again?

It you succeed, immediately save the contents of qconsole.log located either at fms\ac1 or fms\arena (depending on which FM was installed when the crash happened),

You can either attach it renamed to .txt file or post its contents surrounded by spoiler tags in square brackets.

I would be happy to hear any more details about how and when it happens. The current details look weird (64-bit-specific 2.07 crash... hmm)

I started these two missions recently and did not see any crash.

Where is your TDM installation located? Can you e.g. create a txt file there without UAC/admin dialogs, or delete some pk4?... Which OS you use?