The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.07

stgatilov

This change was never committed to trunk.

Thanks for the confirmation. The change in rim lighting is probably just your refactor commit.

I wasn't sure if that also included the light toggle feature.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I need help from someone else with this one.

I can confirm that the problem does not happen with Maps shadows, and that it does not depend on softness.

Moreover, it does not depend interaction shader, so this is issue is purely about stencil shadows themselves.

It is worth noting that the quads which are blacked out are not aligned with mesh triangles. In fact, they are usually located around some mesh vertex and affect only parts of surrounding triangles.

Changing r_fboDepthBits did not help (maybe it does not work?). Setting r_shadowPolygonFactor 1 slightly reduced the size of quads, but clearly an unrealistically huge offset is needed to remove them.

So it does not even look like a depth precision problem.

I have a feeling that it is related to computation of shadow volume geometry. I wonder what has changed between 2.06 and 2.07 in this regard?...

About previous versions of TDM.

The issue also happens in both 2.05 and 2.06 x64 (they behave seemingly equal in reproducing the issue). To see the problem on the beds, take a candle in that room, get close to some bed, crouch, and move candle around. With some positions of the candle, you see the same artefacts.

However, TDM 2.07 seems more prone to this issue, and you can see it bold even without moving/toggling anything.

Also it is interesting to know the history of the bed and the toilet meshes. If they are core and exist for a long time, then the issue should have been noticed already. If they are custom and mission-specific, maybe changing mesh serve as a workaround if we fail to find better solution.

It reminds me of a problem mappers have sometimes been able to work around by making the material in question noselfshadow, although I think that glitch usually does look aligned with mesh tris when it appears, and not usually in the middle of a flat surface.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

When these crashes happen, is anything written to your Darkmod.log?

In 2.07 it was decided that the numberwheel script from "A New Job" was too specialized to that mission and

that it shouldn't be a mod asset because it was causing mission developers too much trouble when they tried to

use it. To my knowledge, we sent the word out that this change would be happening and any mission using the script

has been repacked to include it in the mission package rather than inheriting from the mod asset base.

Are you playing these from a Savegame?

Did you try deleting these missions and re-downloading them?

Edit:

The latest COS1 appears to have the numberwheel script.

The latest Mission of Mercy does not have the script but the map file, skins, defs, scripts, etc

do not reference it except for a commented out dummy reference?

They were both fresh installs since 2.07. No save loads.

Could you please add a line seta logFile "2" to the end of Darkmod.cfg file and then try to reproduce the crash again?

It you succeed, immediately save the contents of qconsole.log located either at fms\ac1 or fms\arena (depending on which FM was installed when the crash happened),

You can either attach it renamed to .txt file or post its contents surrounded by spoiler tags in square brackets.

I would be happy to hear any more details about how and when it happens. The current details look weird (64-bit-specific 2.07 crash... hmm)

I started these two missions recently and did not see any crash.

Where is your TDM installation located? Can you e.g. create a txt file there without UAC/admin dialogs, or delete some pk4?... Which OS you use?

Strangely after I changed the log settings I can't seem to recreate it. I'll keep the log settings up just in case it happens again.

I keep my TDM installation next to my Thief installations, "C:\Games\The Dark Mod" No admin requirements needed to create a text file or delete things. I use Windows 10.

They were both fresh installs since 2.07. No save loads.

Confirmed that "Mission of Mercy" is fixed by packing the script into the mission pack.

Not sure why searching the map file yielded no reference to numberwheel?

Regardless, I'll update the mirrors with a repacked version and then test COS1.

Edit: New "Mission of Mercy" up in the mirrors.

Edit 2: COS1 fixed on the mirrors too.

Here are the missions that were released after "A New Job":

The Bakery Job

The Ravine

A Matter of Hours

Briarwood Manor

King of the Mountain

Accountant 1: Thieves and Heirs

In the Black

Volta 2: Cauldron of the Gods

The Elixir

The Arena

Sir Taffsalot's Sword

Shadows of Northdale ACT I

Chronicles of Skulduggery: Pearls and Swine Fixed

Braeden Church

William Steele 4: The Warrens

Mission of Mercy Fixed

The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Hidden Hands: Initiation Fixed

I tested all the ones I know I hadn't played in awhile and the ones I

was unsure whether a Number Wheel was in the mission.

If someone wants to launch them all as a sanity check, that would be appreciated.

I tested all the ones I know I hadn't played in awhile and the ones I

was unsure whether a Number Wheel was in the mission.

If someone wants to launch them all as a sanity check, that would be appreciated.

Here are the missions that were released after "A New Job":

I have downloaded all missions.

I can write an automation script which iterates over all these maps, installs each of them, starts new game, and checks if specified text is present in game console.

Does it sound like a good idea?

I can write an automation script which iterates over all these maps, installs each of them, starts new game, and checks if specified text is present in game console.

Please also collect warnings and error messages. Maybe also execute tdm_give_loot and tdm_end_mission. That would be perfect! A nice and concise automated test! :-)

noFog now works on entities:

post-3763-0-39738200-1547210582_thumb.jpg

The head and arms are still fogged because they are def attached

and the code doesn't treat def attached items with the same renderEntity attributes.

• Like 2

Please also collect warnings and error messages. Maybe also execute tdm_give_loot and tdm_end_mission. That would be perfect! A nice and concise automated test! :-)

Do I have to restart the whole game for each mission to make sure that all warnings are printed?

Confirmed that "Mission of Mercy" is fixed by packing the script into the mission pack.

Not sure why searching the map file yielded no reference to numberwheel?

Regardless, I'll update the mirrors with a repacked version and then test COS1.

Edit: New "Mission of Mercy" up in the mirrors.

Edit 2: COS1 fixed on the mirrors too.

I have checked all missions downloaded on January, 2nd with beta207_04 version.

All the missions except "Mission of Mercy" and "Pearls and Swine" started properly.

To keep this thread free of unrelated discussions, I have posted details about automation stuff in another thread.

I can confirm that the problem does not happen with Maps shadows, and that it does not depend on softness.

Moreover, it does not depend interaction shader, so this is issue is purely about stencil shadows themselves.

I have a feeling that it is related to computation of shadow volume geometry. I wonder what has changed between 2.06 and 2.07 in this regard?...

About previous versions of TDM.

The issue also happens in both 2.05 and 2.06 x64 (they behave seemingly equal in reproducing the issue). To see the problem on the beds, take a candle in that room, get close to some bed, crouch, and move candle around. With some positions of the candle, you see the same artefacts.

However, TDM 2.07 seems more prone to this issue, and you can see it bold even without moving/toggling anything.

I can reproduce the problem with shadow maps too, both soft and hard.

Just take the candle and move it near the beds, and you'll see black quads too.

So this problem is not stencil-specific.

The ragdoll issue on this map turned out to be caused by wrong rotation matrix (see comment).

I suspect the shadows problem can be caused by the same problem: "rotation" matrix is not orthonormal and performs scaling on the object.

Ill continue doing some testing this weekend.

Also I had a couple questions about this build:

- A while back I put in a request for player swimming sounds. Is this something thats going in for 2.07? (Can't log into bugtracker right now for some reason. Will PM admin)

-Were any changes made to the AI in tdm_ai_base.def or tdm_ai_base.script? Its important that I update those changes to some of the custom AI I've released.

Looking forward to this release, thanks for all the hard work.

Edited by kingsal

- A while back I put in a request for player swimming sounds. Is this something thats going in for 2.07? (Can't log into bugtracker right now for some reason. Will PM admin)

There is this: http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=3550

but that's not on the cards for 2.07. Perhaps StiFU might be able to look at it while he's improving the mantling movement/sounds.

Want to let you know,

• that TDM 2.07 windows 64 bit is running "almost" perfectly on wine64 4-06 on Mac os 10.9.5 (using play on mac)

Only the updater and tdm64 crashes on during restarting and quiting the process. (backtrace log uploaded)

• that TDM 2.07 windows 32 bit is running perfectly on wine32 4-06 on Mac os 10.9.5 (using play on mac)
(this time i tested tdm on my real mac, not on a vm)

@mac os users:

if you start TDM and see a black screen and only hear sound/music, update your xquartz.

Doesnt TDM start, install vcredist_x64.exe or vcredist_x86.exe (accordingly by your wine environment) delivered by tdm updater.

backtrace.txt

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I don't know the current state of things but this morning I ran TDM_updater and the latest beta 5 changes were applied with no trouble as far as I can tell.

If you have backups and don't mind taking chances in exchange for a sneak peek, get it while you can.

I suspect that Stgatilov is currently just working out the new tdm_updatesync process so that both can be announced at the same time.

I don't know the current state of things but this morning I ran TDM_updater and the latest beta 5 changes were applied with no trouble as far as I can tell.

Yes, beta207-05 was packaged about 20 hours, just could not find time to announce it.

Feel free to update to new version now.

Changelog is in its usual place.

Hey nbohr1more, sorry for not responding to the note in the bugtracker but weekend was kinda busy and at least some of that was me mapping, so hey yay for that at least. At any rate, I didn't need to package special testmaps for the fog issue, it seems the noFog update has fixed both shadowcaulk and shadow/shadow2/shadow_bak! I checked specifically before updating to beta5 and there is parity on my WIP; it looks how it's supposed to, that is.

I have a comment on 4955 being fixed, and that its fixed additional graphical glitches besides the light to instant shade bug posted by STiFU on page 9 (I've experience that one as well). I had very basic stair models made, basically one face divided into two tris, and the fresnel reflection was very bad and dependant on the subdivisions of the model (which is why I suspect the low-poly models like the simple cubic crates got affected). stgatilov already explained the issue in the note to that bugtracker entry, so I don't need to really guess though.

Speaking of that, though, that's probably why the pipe models look different now, Judith. I guess try turning off the advanced interaction shader?

Edited by Spooks
  • Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

I'll try to take a look at the specular changes tonight but I'm not the best at GLSL...

(most of my GLSL fixes were just Nvidia driver compliance fixes)

@Duzenko?

• Like 1

To quote stgalitov from the bugtracker:

Note that while clamps are exactly the same, and the code is logically the same, one subtle difference from the ARB version remains.

In ARB version, all dot products (NdotL, NdotH, NdotV) were computed from object-space normal and directions.

In GLSL version, all these dot products are computed from world-space normal and directions.

The difference means slight difference in interpolation errors.

Might this be the reason for what we are seeing here?
  • Like 1