The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.07

stgatilov

Also im experimenting with Valve's Proton (Valve's WINE build in the steam client for Linux & mac),

trying to run TDM Windows binary on Mac os.

Using a non-userfriendly method, i can start the tdm-updater and tdm installer (for windows), but TDM 2.07 64 bit windows binary doesnt start.

Valve added an userfriendly option to steamto run them.

Its just the normal standard way to add a non-steam windows game, but now you need to select the filetype-filter in the fileslection-window.

Going to test this on Linux and Mac os.

-edit-

No, that method doesnt work. You can select the binary but it doesnt show in the selection list and Steam cant run the shortcut file pointed to the updater.

My steps for now, to get the tdm_updater running in steam:

1. enable steam play in your steam client
  2. install windows-only game, for this example, unreal gold (this will also install proton in in your steamapps/common folder.)
  3. After the installation of unreal, put the updater inside the unreal-system folder,
  4. Rename files: rename unreal.exe to unreal.exe.bak and rename tdm_updater.exe to unreal.exe
  5. Run unreal from the library in the steam client.

And if you want to experiment with proton, use playonlinux.

follow steps 1 and 2. at step one select also a proton version in the settings.

Then copy "/home/username/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/(a proton version)" to /home/username/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-amd64/".

run playonlinux, create a new container and select the proton at the wine versions.

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I played very little with the stencil shadows, not encountering anything gamebreaking. I saw a case where an oblique view caused some func_static stencil shadows cast on the ground to disappear from view, but it's not reproducible. I can report that the clamps to the interaction shader have eliminated the bad behavior with the patches! That crate does, indeed, still look bad, so that's turned out to be its own issue. 4980 has not been touched I see, but on the flipside I can't think of an FM where the bug presents itself, so that could be moved to 2.08.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

I played very little with the stencil shadows, not encountering anything gamebreaking. I saw a case where an oblique view caused some func_static stencil shadows cast on the ground to disappear from view, but it's not reproducible. I can report that the clamps to the interaction shader have eliminated the bad behavior with the patches! That crate does, indeed, still look bad, so that's turned out to be its own issue. 4980 has not been touched I see, but on the flipside I can't think of an FM where the bug presents itself, so that could be moved to 2.08.

I apologize if I'm missing something or if I've already asked this but..

In the forum post, you mentioned "singlepass" at the top of your post but the verbiage indicates that this affects

shadow maps regardless of whether they are singlepass?

I believe that Duzenko made several attempts to make Shadow Maps use this new orientation without causing visual issues

so we have had both orientations during various phases of development. I was under the impression that as of the last

status, only singlepass is using the new orientation but if that's not the case perhaps we can nudge him into

branching depending on which mode is used.

Singlepass is intended to eventually be the default Shadow Map setting. It is Duzenko's attempt to implement the Shadow Map

rendering style used in the new DOOM 2016 game.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

With shadow maps enabled, in general FPS is great. But in some locations, such as the first doorway you go through in "A House of Locked Secrets" they kill FPS, especially when you look at the ground. Video card is a GTX770-4GB, soft shadows is set to high, and shadow map resolution is at 1024, single pass off. This doesn't happen with stencil shadows.

I apologize if I'm missing something or if I've already asked this but..

In the forum post, you mentioned "singlepass" at the top of your post but the verbiage indicates that this affects shadow maps regardless of whether they are singlepass?

In the bug report I have indicated that, on the last beta versus the one in which I encountered it, the disparity is now present with both singlepass 0 and 1, so yes, you're correct.

I don't entirely get what change is encompassed by the term "orientation" - and for that matter I don't wish to be dogmatic when reforming the engine's shadowing logic - but whether surfaces behind a one-sided shadowcasting surface get shadowed or not shouldn't imho get controlled through something so permutable as a user-accessible cvar. If anything, the noselfshadow keyword inside common/shadow2 should be used for this.

• Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

P.S. Please play some time with Stencil shadows. I have a feeling they are overlooked ;)

Return to the City v3

post-3763-0-29488700-1549004013_thumb.jpg

Position: 521.37 373.6 420.85 : 18.61 -85.3 0

• Like 1

I have a hunch that this is a 2.07 dmap issue. I'll do more testing tonight if I get a chance but the workaround might be

"rename the 2.05 executable and put it in your 2.07 folder then dmap with the 2.05 executable".

I have a hunch that this is a 2.07 dmap issue. I'll do more testing tonight if I get a chance but the workaround might be

"rename the 2.05 executable and put it in your 2.07 folder then dmap with the 2.05 executable".

I don't have it on beta207-08.

I downloaded this mission on January, 2nd.

So yes, this must be some dmap difference.

BTW, maybe some nearby wall has some sort of issue too?

TDM 2.07 is released.

Freyk's installer and Linux-64 installer will be added to website soon.

Beta testing is over.

Thank you everyone for participating!

From now on, report issues as usual in the Tech Support subforum.

It is recommended for all beta testers to run ordinary tdm_update without any advanced settings.

Let it download mirrors, let it self-update if it wants, let it install whatever it thinks is missing.

I did it myself, and the updater efficiently did nothing, because the latest beta has turned into final release without changes.

• Like 2

Just a quick question, should soft shadows work on a 6GB GTX 1060? I get a major FPS hit even on the low setting, 60 -> 30 fps, less when I enter the training mission's courtyard.

Otherwise the game runs just nicely @ 1440p with everything else maxed. My configuration file is ancient though.

I have this card and they should work without much problems, although a lot depends on a mission and your settings. Soft shadows are expensive in particular. Either try Stencil shadows + soft shadows on Low and the slider on minimum, or Shadow Maps but with Soft shadows Off (they'll still be a tad soft). Also, check the r_shadowMapSize value in your cfg file. 1024 should look fine without bigger performance impact, you can also try lower values.

• Like 1

Just a quick question, should soft shadows work on a 6GB GTX 1060? I get a major FPS hit even on the low setting, 60 -> 30 fps, less when I enter the training mission's courtyard.

Otherwise the game runs just nicely @ 1440p with everything else maxed. My configuration file is ancient though.

I have an i3-2130 3.4ghz and GTX 1050.

If I set shadow mode to stencil, I get around 75 to 80 FPS in that scene with High quality.

If I set shadow mode to maps, I get 55 to 65 FPS. ( I increased my r_shadowMapSize to 1280 )

So it seems that the "blocker search" for contact hardening shadows is more expensive on the GPU

than the Stencil CPU side cost and we are dropping below 60FPS.

If that is happening to you, and you are going down to 30FPS... Then you probably have vsync enabled.

Try using adaptive vsync.

In game it's: r_swapInterval -1

Or else turn off vsync in-game and use your driver settings.

Also, make sure that r_fboResolution is 1.

Finally, post your Darkmod.cfg.

• Like 1

I get an ingame dialog "Game Error" "Event overflow. Possible infinite loop in script" ending the mission to the main menu when i destroy the generator below the stairs in "Inn Business" on "Day 2".

Latest TDM 2.07 x64 on Windows 7 x64.

Already reported: 4517

It is broken for at least 1.5 years already.

Thanks for your help! After Judith's post I decided to delete the game and do a clean install. I did have vsync on, but I'll try the adaptive once the game has reinstalled.

edit: Adaptive vsync did prevent drops straight to 30 fps, but the courtyard is still around 45 fps with low soft shadows & stencil. I guess my rig simply isn't powerful enough.

Edited by Reman