The Dark Mod Forums

Enemy Ideas: Fatbergs, Necromancer Constructs & Other Undead

Kurshok

Since Necromancers are capable of raising human corpses as zombies or haunts, and may be capable of commanding ghosts, I got to thinking what else they could raise from the dead. Animals might make a good form of guard dog in the case of dog, wolf, and fox corpses. Undead bears could be terrible foes you would need to sneak away from, because they'd have an insane amount of health. Undead squirrels, rats, and birds could make good spies, with the Necromancer using spells to see through their eyes. Undead horses, cows, and deer probably wouldn't be too useful, unless you were using their muscles and viscera as parts for Undead Constructs.

Now, when I say Undead Constructs, I mean like the Frankenstein Monster and other beasts stitched together from different corpses. If you can texture and program it, it could be put together by a Necromancer who has enough dead bodies on hand. If there was a plague or battle of some sort, or the Necromancer made a shady deal with a morgue, they could have enough body parts to make something truly terrible. Hell, a butcher dabbling in Necromancy could cobble together an army of Frankenpigs like in Amnesia 2. One idea that went through my mind is a "Human Centipede" like the movie, but made of corpses. A other was a form of aquatic undead made from rotten sea creature globsters, like in Resident Evil. But then I came up with something original after reading a news article from London. What if a Necromancer went into the sewers under Bridgeport, and brought to life what is known as a "Fatberg"?

For those who don't know, a Fatberg is when enough rotten feces, toilet paper and, most important of all to the vile mixture, grease clog together into an iceberg like growth in a sewer. Nonliving ones in The Dark Mod would serve as disgusting obstacles you'd need to find a way to break up, dissolve with acid, or get around in sewers, but if a Necromancer is twisted enough, they could attempt to bring that rotten heap of greasy shit to life. Imagine if Nurgle corrupted a Shoggoth, and you'd get what I'm imagining. A slowly moving mass of filth that gurgles horrid roars and patrols sewer tunnels, crushing anyone unfortunate enough to get in the way.

So, what is your opinion on these ideas, and what sort of Necromantic Constructs could you imagine being made by those practitioners of necromancy who lurk on the outskirts of Bridgeport and the Empire?

I scripted a map (as part of the campaign I wrote) that included a necromancer's mansion. But interestingly I didn't think to include necromanced guard animals... He was a noble and trying to keep his practice secret, so he kept it all in a dungeon part. But now that you mention it, it's an obvious thing that he'd have necromanced monsters down there and would be good for gameplay.The catch of course is that we don't have the models for them. But at the very least he should have zombies down there. My first idea if I spread out from there would be zombie dogs and maybe one zombified werebeast as a boss-type of monster. Beyond that you're getting beyond what's added value for gameplay.

With all of your ideas, you ought to write some TDM fan fic and make some stories with them...

It's a lot easier to imagine scenarios and write them out than model and animate them!

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Okay, I think I can understand that. It's a bit beyond a Thief's abilities to defeat a monstrous undead. But what about simple undead constructs like a severed head impaled on a sharpened stick as a lookout sentry, or severed arms nailed to the walls of a narrow corridor that wave around to damage you if you make noise?

A necromanced head on a spike serving as a sentry sounds like a hilarious idea, especially if he has good banter, and we can do it & have him animated with existing assets (I think).

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Having animated heads as necromancer sentries has been part of lore for a long time, we've just never gotten around to making one. Now that there is code to support cameras, I'm sure the same system could be repurposed.