The Dark Mod Forums

[Linux] arrow keys not recognized

Wolf64

Hello folks,

I'm a Linux (Mint) user and in games I'm using the arrow keys for movement (probably the worst kind of gamer to most of you) since I'm left-handed.

On both my Linux machines (Mint 18 and 19) TDM does not recognize the arrow keys and instead sets it to zero (0x00) on each arrow key pressed, making it impossible to configure the controls to use this scheme. However, the arrow keys on the numpad (8, 4, 6 and 2) are recognized as such, which is not what I want.

I've also tried different keyboards and different system layouts (since I'm using a german keyboard with the respective layout), but no success.

On Windows this is no problem, as all the keys are recognized correctly.

Any ideas regarding this issue?

Edited by Wolf64

That bug has been around since ages for TDM on linux :mellow:

It didn't bother me that much in the past as I quickly adapted to use the numblock keys.

It's a bit annoying that I cannot acess system functions while I'm running TDM though - e.g. swich off sound, or minimize TDM and switch back to the desktop. That's what I miss most

That bug has been around since ages for TDM on linux :mellow:

It didn't bother me that much in the past as I quickly adapted to use the numblock keys.

The issue with arrow keys may be not as easy as it seems.

Probably worth adding a bug for it.

It's a bit annoying that I cannot acess system functions while I'm running TDM though - e.g. swich off sound, or minimize TDM and switch back to the desktop. That's what I miss most

Note that a change for Linux side has been merged: 4190.

It changes the way TDM interacts with system controls, for better or worse...

Nightcrawler, I seriously suggest testing 2.07 beta.

Thanks for pointing me to the new beta. I completely forgot about it.

I did some testing in the tutorial map and I'm really glad that I can use the system keys and also switch back to desktop now.

However I already found a bunch of new bugs:

• Some keys (i.e the arrow keys and mouse button 4 and 5) still cannot be assigned properly.
  • The dark Mod crashes as soon as you enter the game if "Maps" was chosen as shadow implementation. I created a bug for this on the tracker.
  • Lightning does not work for me at all on the new version. Everything seems to be displayed in the same brightness. I also created a bug for this and put some screenshots there.

• 1 year later...

Hi, yet another Linux user with a mismapped keyboard here.

I'm running Zorin (ubuntu variant) on a Dell Precision T1700 with a Dell KB212B keyboard.

If I look in the system settings app, under region & language it says it's a "English ( UK, extended, with Win keys).

Selecting that & clicking on the keyboard icon at bottom right shows me the keyboard map & as I press keys they highlight on the display, and they all seem correct.

When running TDM (TDM2.07/64) as a native Linux application I've noticed the following when trying to map actions

All arrow keys in the cluster next to the numeric keypad = 0x00
Keypad enter key = down arrow
Main keyboard right CTRL = pgdn

There's probably a load more, if anyone can tell me a quick way of doing it I'll work through the entire keyboard if it's a help

I tend to map a lot of keys onto the numeric keypad so it's a bit of a pain

Edited by esme