The Dark Mod Forums

"True First Person" Mode for idtech4

RPGista

I was about to say that this is cool, but Springheel is right, not the "immersive" part but the others he mentioned which are NOT comfortable; rotating your head will stop the camera, looking up and down is not a perfect 360 anymore and so on.

I do like "body awareness", any game that has it is good, but I want it to be "subtle", not "strict" like in Thief 3.

Take Dying Light as an example, in that game, you can turn around as fast as you want, just fine, it gives a "Classic games" feeling that I love.

If TDM gets Thief 3 style Body Awareness, I'll be fine, despite the developers not liking it :P but if it's the "subtle" approach, even better. I'd rather so the legs are visible simply to be visible, a nice visual addition, not a complex system of animations.

Problem is...There's no "moving" animation for the playermodel thief, he just walks a lot like the character in STALKER, with stiff arms and all, which is why I dislike the player shadows.

If the playermodel finally gets some better "immersive" animations, I'd use the self shadows then and hope there will be plans to be able to see your own legs.

• Like 1

Wow, while I respect your freedom of choice on this matter, I think that is pretty darn repulsive you're willing to go as far as using an obsolete code base for the sake of not sharing your sources.

It's not about going "as far as doing something"... See most of these projects have begun way before the November 23rd 2011 Doom3 GPL source code release and therefore naturally are based on the 2007 and earlier SDKs.

So when you write that I am "subject to the GPL" I simply corrected you about the facts. There is nothing "darn repulsive" about setting the facts straight IMO.

Edited by oneofthe8devilz
  • Like 1

I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

moddb or the SPS Homepage

Hey oneofthe8, glad to see you are around and that your vision for your projects remains strong. Im sure therell be opportunities for sharing between both your project and tdm eventually.

Will your project be purely a muliplayer experience? Will you open it for mappers to create the content, or do you plan on making the map desgining yourself? Will there be stealth mechanics, but with an emphasis on action? It would be nice to know more about it.

Hey RPGista,

I am and always have been open for cooperation and yes people will be able to create assets mods for any of my idtech4 projects which includes submods, maps and asset modifications of any sort.

As for the thief themed coop project, I always strife to develop things in a fashion so that it can be played both by a single person or in cooperative multiplayer.

A stealth mechanic is definitely part of the plan (and in fact already rudimentary implemented) as it is crucial to a thief themed game, though it might not be as sophisticated as the TDM stealth system due to resource limitations that come with a 1-man-team.

As for the map design.. I plan to recreate some of my favorite Thief: Deadly Shadow missions in idtech4 and potentially expand from there with some adjustments. For example in a coop environment where a mission is played by multiple players an optional "respawn option" for guards and other npcs/monsters might be beneficial to keep the stealth challenge up while the mission is played by several people where neutralized patrolling guards for example will be replaced within a few minutes forcing players to always keep an eye on their surroundings...

• Like 1

I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

moddb or the SPS Homepage

Sounds like fun. Like I said before you already have achieved a lot of interesting things and those videos with the archer character are amazing. It should be great to see what you come up with in terms of map design that takes into account enough challenge and path routes for more than one player, perhaps even AI enhancements for this situation. I like the idea of an action game where stealth still applies. Looking foward to it.

it's not really necessary to see your body, and as Thi4f proved, stealing loot by going through the same animation over and over again

Ancient, but bugs with getting stuck in an animation ( ladder climbing animation) are not always a bad thing:

Edited by Anderson
  • Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I think all of this will become obsolete once it is ported to VR.

Personally, i really like this view. I had no issues with it in Chronicles of Riddick and other games. Actually, for me, it adds to immersion.

Now, if the guy would port that to a more modern engine...

I've seen a few cases of decent IK for the arms in VR (and so many bad examples that I almost always prefer floating hands) but for the rest of the body I think we just need more comprehensive and more reliable tracking. I do wonder if outside-in systems involving no sensors on the body of the person (like Kinect and whatever facebook is working on) will get to a point where they're reliable enough in any time frame that matters. They may be decent for capturing mostly static poses but fast and complex movement (e.g. thief, where you're on the ground a lot, overlapping limbs, etc etc) is difficult. Otherwise we'll probably need something like lighthouse because the system has to be scalable and extremely reliable: if there is any significant chance of tracking errors it will either break immersion (even if tracking errors are somewhat infrequent, you will be self conscious about the potential for tracking errors and modify your behavior to account for that) or ruin the gameplay (e.g. in the case of thief: reveal you when you're supposed to be hidden).

There are plenty of youtube videos of VRChat players using HTC Tracking pucks on the waist and feet with pretty convincing results but clearly that particular solution is too expensive and too clunky. I've read that smaller form factor lighthouse trackers are possible but I've yet to see any consumer facing products. Any setup that requires players to "suit up" beforehand will always be a niche thing so I suspect the body abstraction option will always be there though. I also suspect that whether or not players will actually be willing to use it over the long term will depend on the degree to which the game fleshes out the interaction space to take advantage of them.

Edited by woah
  • Like 2

Freyk - Although it is interesting to see how the animations play out from the players POV, artistically it is lacking compared to a fully detailed and animated HUD model, that is meant to be seen from up close. Even if not as "realistic". So the best solution would be to keep the HUD models, and have the players body visible from the chest down. Again, it would be a lot of work to make something like this work in tdm, from a modeler and animator point of view. You have swimming, you have mantling, climbing ladders. You have frobbed moveables. One that could be interesting however would be shouldered AI, gameplay wise... How it occludes your vision, etc. Most of the others cases would be mainly for continuity. Another good use of it would be to have the compass be actually held by the players hand. The lantern too.

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 1