The Dark Mod Forums

Uncle Peti's mapping progress and newb questions

Petike the Taffer

In the vein of a few other threads, I've decided to start a thread that will cover the current progress of my FM mapping and serves for troubleshooting the issues I run into. While the newbie questions thread is a good place to seek advice, I often get the impression that it's not adequate to solve the perennial mistakes I seem to run into while trying to learn certain aspects of mapping.

I'll gladly welcome any advice in this thread.

Screenshots of what I'm currently working on coming soon.

Edited by Petike the Taffer

I should do this for all my questions too instead of startong new threads. At the same time tho Id like future mappers to be able to find the answers easily by thread name rather than have to dig through long threads... Can a mod advise on which is preferable?

Welcome to the mapping community Peti. The Discord is great for asking questions as well. And Sothas video tutorials are fantastic. My advice - make your first map simple. I have several large maps fully brushed out but I had to go and start a new smaller map to learn things like pathing and scripting and put those maps on hold because it was too complicated to try to learn new ideas on a larger map.

Feel like sharing the concept behind your first map?

Edited by dmw88

Can a mod advise on which is preferable?

There isn't any agreement on this issue. I think separate posts are easier to search through in the future, but others disagree.

One consolidated thread makes it easier for people to find something later that they remember.

My rule of thumb would be, if you expect to have a lot of questions, have your own thread, if you expect to just have one or a few questions, the newbie thread is fine.

Just for goodness sake don't make a separate thread for each question!

I think either way is fine as long as it's not that.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Just for goodness sake don't make a separate thread for each question!

I think either way is fine as long as it's not that.

+1000 :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

My rule of thumb would be, if you expect to have a lot of questions, have your own thread, if you expect to just have one or a few questions, the newbie thread is fine.

Which is why I've started this particular thread. :) Apologies I'm not posting much yet, I was still a little busy, and also reevaluating some of my FM planning approach (gathering things I might have overlooked from all our video tutorials and advice). I'll get to it shortly, maybe in a few days.

While the newbie thread has repeatedly helped me so far (knock on wood), at this point my basic skills with DR are good enough that a separate thread makes more sense than shooting just off the occassional question and then always checking back if anyone had replied. A single personal thread is much more searchable, obviously.