The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Cleaning Up the Neighbourhood by some1stoleit,bikerdude (2019/02/19)

some1stoleit

Congrats on your release! Finished this up last night and really enjoyed exploring everywhere. (Got to a few places I don't think I was suppose to, but oh well - had a nice view. :)

Enjoyed the crows nest hunt - challenge was on when I found the first - and so then I found them all. I do enjoy hidden challenges. I had some difficulty in the office. I swear I looked under the desk a half dozen times before I noticed the switch. I seemed to find things after I'd already been over the spot thoroughly - example: loot bag on top of the spy's wardrobe, coins in the outside drinking area. I'm not sure if they didn't highlight for me or I just didn't see them the first time. I'm going with the latter, as I just got a new monitor and still trying to figure out the adjustment for it.

While this took me a while to complete as I found myself going over things again to make sure I found all the loot, I enjoyed it. Thanks for all your hard work and look forward to more. :)

• Like 3

Well , I deleted everything and re installed DM and the flashing etc is still there.The yellow cursor you get at the beginning for starting / selecting mission etc flashes on the screen only larger.Also odd background flashing .Can’t expect anyone to understand my rambling description without actually seeing it.At nearly eighty and not understanding computers I think that’s the end of my Thief playing days sadly as it completely spoils any enjoyment of the games.

Anyone got any idea what may be causing it/ had it themselves?Since updating , the whole program seems unstable.I keep my computer very clean with little on it apart from Windows 10 and DM , using my iPad most of the time.I don’t want to give up playing just yet but may have to I guess.

Anyone got any idea what may be causing it/ had it themselves?Since updating , the whole program seems unstable.I keep my computer very clean with little on it apart from Windows 10 and DM , using my iPad most of the time.I don’t want to give up playing just yet but may have to I guess.

Can you send a screen grab or even better a video clip of the behavior? Maybe it will ring a bell for someone.

Also, a question for the experts - is there a way of installing an old version of TDM? I ask because raymeld said that the problem occurred when he upgraded TDM. Maybe he could go back to an older version. Or is that a real bad idea?

Thanks for your input joebarmin , it’s much appreciated whether I solve it or not.

Anyone got any idea what may be causing it/ had it themselves?Since updating , the whole program seems unstable.I keep my computer very clean with little on it apart from Windows 10 and DM , using my iPad most of the time.I dont want to give up playing just yet but may have to I guess.

Does this happen in 2.07 hot fix?

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19935-beta-testing-207-hotfix/page-2?do=findComment&comment=436344

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Sorry , don’t understand what you mean.All I know is I got flashing background images , can’t make out what they are , almost like the game is playing on top of itself , ever since I updated. If I could make out what they were it would make it easier to solve.I deleted DM and reinstalled it but the problem is still there.I really wish I could revert to the old DM as joebarmin said as at least I could play the older missions! I’m sorry I’m just an old codger and not au fait with computers so it looks like my Thief days are finally numbered!

That thread has instructions to upgrade to the hot fix.

It has fixes for issues like yours. Apparently a bunch of video drivers came out just as we were releasing 2.07 which broke TDM.

Nvidia hardware never seemed to be affected. Only AMD and Intel.

Well , I deleted everything and re installed DM and the flashing etc is still there.The yellow cursor you get at the beginning for starting / selecting mission etc flashes on the screen only larger.Also odd background flashing .Can’t expect anyone to understand my rambling description without actually seeing it.At nearly eighty and not understanding computers I think that’s the end of my Thief playing days sadly as it completely spoils any enjoyment of the games.

Eighty?!

No need to redownload, only delete "Darkmod.cfg" file. At the first start of the game it will be recreated. So you can (actually must :P) re-configure the options/controls, etc.

Maybe it's a Windows issue, depending on your GPU+drivers release you're actually using.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I’m sorry I’m just an old codger and not au fait with computers so it looks like my Thief days are finally numbered!

Never say so, man! NEVER! ;)

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Thanks all three of you , and yes , I am nearly eighty , been playing Thief in some form since the original came out and always loved it. That and a lot of internet chess as I used to be a club and county player.

Sorry if my original post came across as weak , it’s been a hard year recovering from throat cancer and my wife has had a stroke too and I’m helping her.Thief DM was going to be some light relief then this happened!

When I get time I will check through that thread as it sounds hopeful.

P.s I’m sorry for highjacking this mission thread with my computer problems.It was just the first mission I tried to play with all the latest updates.

No problem man, and be strong (well, you already are).

The issues you report are tipically driver-related.

(old drivers are a problem, old but active people are a blessing to mankind ;) )

• Like 3

About the FM: excellent single district-packed mission!

@nbohr1more

With Shadow Maps+SoftShadow Radius set to 1.0 (default) the stove fire shadows gives this stripe effect:

The-Dark-Modx64-2019-03-31-22-42-49-323.

• Like 1

About the FM: excellent single district-packed mission!

@nbohr1more

With Shadow Maps+SoftShadow Radius set to 1.0 (default) the stove fire shadows gives this stripe effect:

The-Dark-Modx64-2019-03-31-22-42-49-323.

Change your Quality setting in the gui or

r_softShadowsQuality 28 (or more).

That thread has instructions to upgrade to the hot fix.

It has fixes for issues like yours. Apparently a bunch of video drivers came out just as we were releasing 2.07 which broke TDM.

Nvidia hardware never seemed to be affected. Only AMD and Intel.

I see mine is an ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 series. Probably very basic , but always worked well before the update.Drivers are latest.Would they cause a problem? Assuming Im someone with very basic computer knowledge what would be the easiest fix I could try- working through that hot fix thread is like entering another world for me! If not Im stuck.Can I revert to an earlier version of DM so at least I can still play earlier stuff.

Shame that for me , the very thing which was supposed to make for a better DM experience looks like stopping it completely!?!

Edited by raymeld

Try this:

Edit your Darkmod.cfg

Change to these values:

r_useGLSL "0"

r_softShadowsQuality "0"

r_useFenceSync "0"

Then "do NOT enable soft shadows"

I have uninstalled the training mission.Where is the Darkmod.cfg file located so I can try the adjustments? Thank you.

Edited by raymeld

I have uninstalled the training mission.Where is the Darkmod.cfg file located so I can try the adjustments? Thank you.

In the root folder of TDM.

It's a text file, so you can edit it with the Windows integrated Notepad.

First thing first back-it up with a copy ;)

Edited by lowenz

Thanks lowenz , (and everyone who replied ) , that seems to have done the trick and I can play again!

Thanks lowenz , (and everyone who replied ) , that seems to have done the trick and I can play again!

See?

Never say never (you get old, you get patience, you get problems like these solved :D )

Edited by lowenz

Thank you for all your hard work 1stoleit , a really enjoyable mission!

Edited by raymeld
  • Like 1

Decided to start playing TDM again after a hiatus, upgraded to 2.07 and this was the first mission new mission I downloaded. A couple of things sprung to mind: first, I realized that fires cause no damage - I think this is the way it's always been (maybe), but maybe something should be done to change that? Maybe it's just my highly developed barbarian sense of justice, but as I tried to roast the pagan I found in one of the rooms and nothing happened (I knocked him out, threw him out on the street from the window and stuffed him into the brazier nearby to roast for his crimes - without success, so I had to kill him with the sword), I became slightly annoyed and proceeded to be highly unpleasant to everyone I could lay my hands on, much to their dismay.

Also,

the switch under Geoffrey's table seems to be bugged - I accidentally frobbed it from the wrong side of the table as I was trying to frob things on the table - this is probably not the intended behaviour?

Decided to start playing TDM again after a hiatus, upgraded to 2.07 and this was the first mission new mission I downloaded. A couple of things sprung to mind: first, I realized that fires cause no damage - I think this is the way it's always been (maybe), but maybe something should be done to change that? Maybe it's just my highly developed barbarian sense of justice, but as I tried to roast the pagan I found in one of the rooms and nothing happened (I knocked him out, threw him out on the street from the window and stuffed him into the brazier nearby to roast for his crimes - without success, so I had to kill him with the sword), I became slightly annoyed and proceeded to be highly unpleasant to everyone I could lay my hands on, much to their dismay.

Also,

the switch under Geoffrey's table seems to be bugged - I accidentally frobbed it from the wrong side of the table as I was trying to frob things on the table - this is probably not the intended behaviour?

Mr. "hear the lamentation of their women" has a sense of justice? How interesting :laugh: Those two problems are common to pretty much every map and require a bit of retrofitting from the mapper to solve.

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide