The Dark Mod Forums

The Builder Compound

peter_spy

That roof is awesome and roof modules are something we badly need. Can I assume there's no objections to putting these in the core mod?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Great work on these models, they look very nice!

Kind of a tangent, but how would someone climb a banner in real life? There's literally nothing to hang on to.

Well, banners are made of cloth, so you can hold onto them quite well. The problem would be footholds, but I'd imagine that you could basically use a banner like you would use a rope and put your feet against the wall. My concern would be if the banner can really hold the weight of a person, but it is not uneralstic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wall01 material has been revamped. It looks completely different now, so back up the previous version if you liked it.

Why not keep both and just version number the second version, eg Wall01, Wall02 etc. I say this because the new version looks completely flat compared to the old version.

Edited by Tafferboy

Mostly because keeping all the previous versions means increasing the pk4 file size quite substantially. Every material is three 2k textures, uncompressed normal included. And zip deflate method isn't really good at compressing it efficiently. New version is more in line with one of the reference photos I've been using as an inspiration: https://pl.pinterest.com/pin/301319031305294171/

Edited by Judith

I plan to release a mission using these assets eventually, but I want to make a solid model foundation first. Not sure about a date yet. I'll keep sharing my stuff until get to the point where I'll have a location or two that I want to keep as a surprise to be released with the mission. Same goes for loot, although I'll start making things like new containers (coffers) and more generic loot rather soon. Right now I'm working on a door/doorframe set.

I plan to release a mission using these assets eventually ...

Do you want to release your mission before anyone else uses these assets in a mission?

If so, you need to make a statement to that effect. Lots of authors have introduced new stuff in their missions, and opened the door to others to use them afterward.

Gives you--as the creator--the "right of first use", which is perfectly acceptable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome module set. Thank you so much Peter. You've captured the feel perfectly. As someone who went to Catholic private school,

the look of this matches that background beautifully. It's almost nostalgic. lol

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 2 weeks later...

How are the doors coming?

I can't wait to use this stuff once I'm decent at DR. I have a few locations in mind that will really benefit from this pack.

Do you have plans for any statues by chance?

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

A bit slower than I had planned, to be honest.

I just began unwrapping of the low poly model. After that it's a few days for baking stuff, and then a few more for texturing. Next friday will probably be too soon, more like a few days after that.

It's mostly due to the fact that I didn't find a solid reference for the door frame model, so I had to take a few things from different designs and see how they work together (and then take a few steps back). I had a pretty good reference for the door itself, so that was the easiest part. The high poly detail concept looks like this:

obraz.png

I also wanted to have a doorstep, but that was rather quick to mock up.

All in all, this is supposed to be rather generic, reusable door, so I don't want anything to stand out in particular. The frame and doorstep will be stone/plaster. The door is wood with metal hinges and handle. I'll probably reduce the material count to 2 to get better performance.

As for statues, I thought about that, mostly to have a go at human anatomy and characters, without all the rigging and stuff. But decoration meshes are usually a low priority on my list, with so many basic things still missing.

• Like 1

I just started looking at this pk4.

I notice that the wall modules have--to me--odd widths.

To match DR's tiling granularity, widths like 64, 128, and 256 are extremely useful. (Springheel's architectural wall models provide 64/128 width models.) Copy/Paste along a long wall with these lengths is far easier than the lengths offered in the pk4.

Can we get support for 64/128/256?

The problem is, these dimensions don't work well with character height and character dimensions overall. Not sure if that was just Doom 3 character height, or a change introduced by TDM, but 80 wasn't a great idea. Something around 128 (as in Unreal) works much better with 32/64/128/256 etc.

Also, the width of 128 (minus the module depth on both sides) used by Spring's modules makes for a very narrow corridor. Player has almost no chance to get past an AI coming at him, even in complete darkness. This is something I didn't like, and wanted to give players some more advantage here. 192 is good for a wide corridor when used with something like wall panels, because their depth makes it slightly narrower, something over 160 units of "walking space". A narrow corridor will be 160 minus the depth of decoration stuff then. Typical 32/64/128 segmentation should be easier for actual locations, but not so much for corridors.

As for the snapping, all wall panels snap to each other easily using grid like 32 or 16, so there is no problem with that. You just start with corners and longest segments first, and then fill the gaps/adjust brushes as necessary.

After having built several missions using the 64/128 models, I'm very used to the building speed they allow.

I'll either limit myself to not using the wall modules, or I'll use DR's model scaling to get 64/128 versions. I tried the latter and the result looks fine.