The Dark Mod Forums

Metro games

Carnage

I'm a huge fan of post-apocalyptic games. After almost finishing all (still have to finish the last) the Stalker games (tried playing the first game shortly after release, but it had loads of bugs and somehow I got stuck with a save starting a count down almost at the end, so never finished it and therefore never tried the rest) and playing with the endless amounts of mods it has to offer, I decided to give the Metro Redux games (2033 and Last Light) a go. I tried playing Metro 2033 when it was released in 2010 but couldn't get into it because I found it too scary. After the release of Exodus (which I haven't played yet, as my laptop can't run it) I decided to give the redux versions of the first two games a go.

I'm glad that I did, because the games and the story are awesome. I finished both within a week and will be playing both again shortly, because I discovered that your choices kind of matter for a good and bad ending. I got a good ending with Last Light, but missed a few things and with 2033 I never got to decide between a good and bad ending, which means I don't have enough moral points.

The best parts of the games are the story, resource management and the stealth elements. I played the game with the 'Survival' style on normal difficulty and you really have to make your shots count as ammo is scarce. You also have to be very carefull with your filter usage, as those are limited as well. Occassionally you can stock up on ammo and filters (which you have to buy) in 'safe' stations and you can find ammo and filters on bodies. There where several times during the games (mostly during the first one) that I almost ran out of bullets and/or air and then you are rushing to find bodies that can give you a short life line.

The stealth is also done really well and gave me a lot of satisfaction. You have to turn off light sources, stick to the shadows as much as possible and watch the amount of sound you make. You can modify your weapons in stations to aid you with this, such as adding silencers. I recommend trying to knock out enemies whenever possible though if you want a good ending. Because the ammo is scarce and the amount of enemies is most of the time overwhelming, you're kind of obligated as well to go the stealth route.

If any of you haven't played these games yet, then I really encourage you to do so. Metro 2033 (the first game) might take about 30 minutes to get into and really enjoy, but once you're left on your own the approach turns more to stealth and it becomes really great. There are some scripted moments that you can't tackle with stealth, which where the only moments that I didn't like, but those are scarce and most of the time you can decide how you continue your mission.

If you want to give Metro Exodus a go, then you really have to play the first games to understand the story. I saw a small gameplay video of Exodus, and I am really happy to see that it's a great game that continous the epic story line. It's an Epic store exclusive though, which might turn some people off.

The first game is based on a novel by they way, so maybe something interesting as well if you like the story.

Edited by Carnage

I'm too old for shooters... they stress me too much. The Fallout games are as hectic as it gets for me. Well, Return to Castle Wolfenstein is alright too. But, nowadays shooters are much more hectic than old school ones anyway.

If you can play Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Fallout, then you won't have any problems with the Metro games :rolleyes:. I'm no fan of shooters either, but I don't see Metro as a traditional shooter.

I actually have Metro 2033 (or what it is called) in my Steam games, i bought it once during a sale for very cheap. The vids i watched of it seemed very hectic. Maybe i'm wrong. I'll give it a shot.

If you have it, then I would certainly give it a go. But reserve judgement untill after about the first 30 minutes, because yes, those first 30 minutes can be hectic. I'm not sure if you have the redux version or the normal one, but in the redux version you also have the option to play 'Spartan' style, which gives you a lot more ammo and filters, so you don't have to worry about resource management.

Once you start exploring the metro tunnels alone, the game starts to become a lot more stealth than shooter. Or you have the option at least to go that route.

Edited by Carnage

If the game isn't your bag, I definitely recommend the books by Dmitry Glukhovsky. I've only played Last Light, but it was pretty good. Looking forward to Exodus soon

Nice. I have the normal version, not the Redux version.

As far as I can find it has the Spartan mode as well. The Redux version is mostly graphical improvements, but there are some other level changes as well. Stealth also seems to be a bit more easy in Redux on the normal difficulties.

If the game isn't your bag, I definitely recommend the books by Dmitry Glukhovsky. I've only played Last Light, but it was pretty good. Looking forward to Exodus soon

Last Light is in my opinion the best of the first two games, as it adds more stealth. Exodus seems to expand on this. Will certainly read the novel as well.

Edited by Carnage

The Metro screenshots reminded me a lot of the Stalker games, which is one of my favorite series of the 2000s, and I'm hearing good things about then. So I'll probably pick them up at some point on sale.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

The Metro screenshots reminded me a lot of the Stalker games, which is one of my favorite series of the 2000s, and I'm hearing good things about then. So I'll probably pick them up at some point on sale.

It's been a long time ago that I have been so addicted to a game and I usually avoid shooters, because they are not my kind of thing. The setting obviously helps, but that doesn't mean gameplay doesn't matter to me. Can't wait to play Exodus once I have a computer that can run it <_<. In other news, they are working on a Stalker 2. At the moment there is just a website with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 / 2.0.2.1.

The games are on sale on the Xbox store at the moment, FWIW: https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/p/metro-redux-bundle/BV6MJX1TDL17?activetab=pivot:overviewtab#

Think i'll buy the Redux bundle. It's only 7,50 €.

Well, i would buy if Xbox service didn't encounter a problem once again... jeez, Microsoft really reminds me of a random Linux distro these days.

Edited by chakkman

Sounds interesting so I'll give it a go. Downloading Metro Redux at £25 which, if I understand it, is Metro 2033 Redux plus Metro Last Light Redux which sounds good value at £12.50 each. Should be playing in 40 minutes. I'll keep in mind what you said, Carnage, about 2033 taking 30 minutes to get into. Glad you cautioned me about or I might have lost patience! :D

Well... the first 10 minutes of Metro 2033 Redux showed me once again that i'm really getting too old for this kind of thing. Older shooters also didn't have such excessive waves of enemies. I really like the atmosphere, but, the gameplay, mhm... might try it again another time, but, i don't think that kind of game is for me anymore.

Mmm... I got through so far in that track cart. 2 checkpoint reloads and it seemed hopeless with the limited ammo but seemed to lash out and did reasonably well. Some confusion about controls. How to put weapon away? Decided it's just auto when combat is over. What that lighter is for I dunno. Someone shouted something about a flamethrower? The lighter came up either auto or by accident with me hitting controls. Something worked but I didn't properly see any flamethrower. Got a feeling it's just helping you through these early stages but there's some blundering to be done first. Odd that my character never seems to speak.

Certainly looks good and with a different style. Grim.

Well... the first 10 minutes of Metro 2033 Redux showed me once again that i'm really getting too old for this kind of thing. Older shooters also didn't have such excessive waves of enemies. I really like the atmosphere, but, the gameplay, mhm... might try it again another time, but, i don't think that kind of game is for me anymore.

Yeah, the first bit can be a bit hectic, but it really does get better a bit further in. The game starts where it almost ends, which explains the huge wave. There will still be some waves of enemies occassionally, but most parts you can play how you like. Hopefully you'll able to see through that first part in the future, because IMO it really becomes a great game afterwards.

The level design in the metro could also be great for some horror style TDM levels.

Mmm... I got through so far in that track cart. 2 checkpoint reloads and it seemed hopeless with the limited ammo but seemed to lash out and did reasonably well. Some confusion about controls. How to put weapon away? Decided it's just auto when combat is over. What that lighter is for I dunno. Someone shouted something about a flamethrower? The lighter came up either auto or by accident with me hitting controls. Something worked but I didn't properly see any flamethrower. Got a feeling it's just helping you through these early stages but there's some blundering to be done first. Odd that my character never seems to speak.

Certainly looks good and with a different style. Grim.

Great that you got that far Fidcal. From now on the game will change the pace a bit, with occassional waves of enemies and more stealth. The weapon you can't holster I think. The lighter is for burning spider webs, but there is only one time you really have to use it, because you won't be able to continue if you don't (you'll know the moment). Try to explore different routes, even if you are with someone else, because otherwise you might miss some good stuff. The flamethrower is after the cart chase, when you run to the safe station, but it's someone else using it. Keep a look out for keys (they have a red key ring), because you can open safes with those and get some nice goodies.

I'm following Bourbon and reached a graveyard with flies. Bourbon is trying to wind up a gate but he sounds mental as though affected by something. Keep getting white outs. Tried gas mask to no effect. Can't see anything that kills me nor what to do. Bourbon says 'remember our agreement' but all I can remember is maybe to watch his back? Whichever way I look I see no enemies except maybe the flies. Is this where I should burn some webs? Can't see any way to help him wind up the gate faster. I crouch before it pressing forward but never get under it even at its max.

Is there any kind of logical solution that I'm missing? Maybe search more bodies and find a silver bullet?

I'm following Bourbon and reached a graveyard with flies. Bourbon is trying to wind up a gate but he sounds mental as though affected by something. Keep getting white outs. Tried gas mask to no effect. Can't see anything that kills me nor what to do. Bourbon says 'remember our agreement' but all I can remember is maybe to watch his back? Whichever way I look I see no enemies except maybe the flies. Is this where I should burn some webs? Can't see any way to help him wind up the gate faster. I crouch before it pressing forward but never get under it even at its max.

Is there any kind of logical solution that I'm missing? Maybe search more bodies and find a silver bullet?

Don't get 'sucked' in by the 'entity' in that room. Run to Bourbon when you get those weird 'visions'. If you also listen yourself breathing very heavy (gasping for air), you might have to change the filter of your gas mask (the game usually tells you when it's time to change filters though). Certainly search all the bodies for ammo, filters, etc. but it's not needed to continue.

Don't forget to take of your gas mask when it's not needed, because it can break during fights. You can find 'new' gas masks on bodies and in lockers when yours is damaged.

Edited by Carnage

OK, that worked thanks - though why running to Bourbon does anything I've no idea! I'd have never thought of that.

Now I'm out in Moscow and doing reasonably, get separated from Bourbon, now I'm really using stealth. I've never yet killed a demon in the air no matter how many shots I fire, but I've killed one twice by creeping up behind it on the ground then either shotgun or throwing knife (which I retrieved.) Met up again with Bourbon and of course, stealth ends because he struts around with light on. Waves of monsters I can just about handle except out of filters so no chance of surviving that checkpoint. Except maybe, the compass points left but Bourbon stands to the right. Maybe I should try sneaking behind him to that area first. Otherwise, is reloading the chapter and searching for filters my only option?

OK, that worked thanks - though why running to Bourbon does anything I've no idea! I'd have never thought of that.

Now I'm out in Moscow and doing reasonably, get separated from Bourbon, now I'm really using stealth. I've never yet killed a demon in the air no matter how many shots I fire, but I've killed one twice by creeping up behind it on the ground then either shotgun or throwing knife (which I retrieved.) Met up again with Bourbon and of course, stealth ends because he struts around with light on. Waves of monsters I can just about handle except out of filters so no chance of surviving that checkpoint. Except maybe, the compass points left but Bourbon stands to the right. Maybe I should try sneaking behind him to that area first. Otherwise, is reloading the chapter and searching for filters my only option?

When you look behind you see some doors opening during those visions. You never really see anything though. I actually ran in the opening and got killed, so found out that the other way was the only way to go.

Where you meet up with Bourbon (close to the gate) are some more filters if I remember correctly. After that wave you go underground again. If you can't make it though, you might have to reload a different checkpoint. Once Bourbon starts running away, do the same as well (I think this is when the two demons arrive). Don't try to take on the demons. When you are in an area where you have to use a gas mask, try to search, but also try not to lose too much time. If you are in a safe station always try to check how much filters (time) you have, and stock up on some if needed.

I've only killed a demon right at the end of the game. Otherwise I just run and hide, and try to avoid them.

During some waves underground when you are with someone else, you can actually turn off your flashlight and find a 'dark' corner, and let them handle most of the problems.

Something to be careful of, is that the game sometimes uses your 'money' bullets. You'll know this happens when your enemies start to catch fire when you shoot them. Not sure why, but it can be pretty annoying if you don't notice it.

Edit: There will be a lot more stealth after this wave. Hopefully you have at least one weapon with a silencer (like a pistol). It's not needed, but can make some situations a bit easier. If you want to be able to decide between a good or bad ending (even though the second game continues with the bad ending), also watch out for people that you might be able to help before they get killed.

Edited by Carnage

No, I couldn't afford the silencer. :( Also en route I regularly search everywhere, even going into side rooms and back rooms while Bourbon waits. I doubt I missed much in the way of filters but I'll have to try again.

Can one really reload different checkpoints? I only see the option to load the last one. I think I probably have to reload the chapter when he first comes up into Moscow.

No, I couldn't afford the silencer. :( Also en route I regularly search everywhere, even going into side rooms and back rooms while Bourbon waits. I doubt I missed much in the way of filters but I'll have to try again.

Can one really reload different checkpoints? I only see the option to load the last one. I think I probably have to reload the chapter when he first comes up into Moscow.

Yeah, I think reloading the chapter is the only way. After the wave you'll be able to find quite a few more filters on bodies and in hostile stations, and you won't need your gas mask for some time. If you reload the chapter, look in the hall at the beginning in the top right room for a key, with which you can open a safe upstairs. The entrance to upstairs is through a door near the escalators (be careful for the trip wires).

There are quite a few 'secret' locations, that I haven't been able to find. But time is scarce, when you are outside. Even now on my second playthrough I miss keys and story notes.

Edited by Carnage

Managed to get through on the same checkpoint by finding two filters I'd missed. The next sections as you said is good stealth and the fact that you can extinguish lights suggests light and shadow do play a part even without a light gem. Very good game so far. I'd have liked to see more stealth and strategy approaches even with the monsters - like getting up to ledges they can't reach and overhangs to daunt the demons. The price would be time inching into position but I'd prefer that. Hack and slay is fine for a while but I like at least two ways to get through so if you can't do one then you can try another way. But it's all very edgy stuff whether fighting or sneaking! :)

Yes lights and shadows certainly matter. There will be parts with monsters that you can handle with stealth, in Cursed station for example. But more ways would certainly make the game even better yes. I think there are like four more big waves and the rest can be done by stealth. Great to hear you like the game. You'll certainly like Last Light then, because it has a lot more stealth.

When you get to Polis (which is still very far away) make sure you stock up on filters. You'll be going outside for a long time after it and I really had problems with my air supply because I forgot to do it and died several times in the process.

I thought you do have a "light gem" of sorts? It's that little blue light on your watch that turns on when you're visible and turns off when you're not (diegetic UI ftw).

Also, for anyone who loves the Metro games (and/or the STALKER games) and is interested in this sort of thing, I recently found this great video detailing the history of their development (beware spoilers!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3BmubIQklU

The series as a whole is definitely one of my favorites (:

• Like 1