The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Shadows of Northdale ACT II - Down The Rabbit Hole by Goldwell (2019/03/20)

Goldwell

Finished this with all the loot & 5 out of 6 secrets, any chance of a secret list as I'd love to know what I've missed

Fantastic work!

Here are the six secret locations:

1. In the starting area there is a ledge above the magical symbol on the street, you can reach this by climbing up the pipes
  2. Also in the starting area right near here there is a wooden awning above an electrical machine on the street. Jump ontop of that and open up the window there, head inside and you'll find a golden vase
  3. The secret basement area in Lord Mafford's home (you can gain access to his home via a vent system opposite the Detectives Office
  4. On the streets where the church and bear and belcher tavern are, there is what looks like a dead end with a cart and some goods. Go into there and then walk through the banner into a secret room
  5. Inside the Marigold Room in the bear and belcher you will find a maintenance room. Get inside there and look up ontop of the shelf there to find a flashbomb
  6. The final secret is in the docks area at the end. If you go down to the edge of the water and face towards the city walk up on the right hand side and you'll see a few packages and boxes. Climb up into there and there is a small cache of loot to steal

• Like 2

On 6/26/2019 at 3:12 AM, wesp5 said:

Wonderful mission! I loved the new objects popping up all over with small stories connected that made the world seem so alive. Sadly, I got the level-door-not-opening-on-desk bug and had to noclip through the bookcase! Also I think the dropping-note-for-fence objective is much too obscure. Why not make his window frobable so you can enter and actually get a hint that this is your fence's office in the first place?

I think you have the wrong mission thread bud! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Somehow I have the "missing sound" beep noise when I walk over leaves or carpets. I downloaded the FM from the mirror link - are there some files missing? :(

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Just now, SeriousToni said:

Somehow I have the "missing sound" beep noise when I walk over leaves or carpets. I downloaded the FM from the mirror link - are there some files missing? :(

It sounds like there might be. 

But that is confusing because I have only ever released 1 version and it had the sound files included. 

There are custom sound files in use for footsteps. 

Perhaps try turning off the debug noise? It’s not a perfect solution but at least then you won’t hear that noise. Alternatively try downloading the file from darkfate. They have a very up to date and robust database of all missions including mine.

I see there are footstep sounds in the pk4 file included for the player. I wonder why it won't use them.. ? I downloaded the pk4 into the fms folder and then the game said "new mission available". Then i "installed" it. The new models and all work - but the footsounds won't for some reason. 

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

6 minutes ago, SeriousToni said:

I see there are footstep sounds in the pk4 file included for the player. I wonder why it won't use them.. ? I downloaded the pk4 into the fms folder and then the game said "new mission available". Then i "installed" it. The new models and all work - but the footsounds won't for some reason. 

I don’t know sorry! It was an issue during the beta that was fixed. I booted up the mission on my end and I can hear all of the footstep sounds without any beeping.

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2019 at 5:18 AM, Goldwell said:

- Yes all six secrets are working. In the past people complained about them being too easy. So I tried to make some of them much more difficult to find. One of them isnt tied to loot, its a location.

-

Hide contents

its purely a visual entity

- I will look into it.

I guess that's the one I'm missing as I've gotten all the loot. Could you elaborate on this visual entity? Or simply point it out :)

Never mind.....found your list

btw....in that list, #5

Spoiler

is in the Dandelion Room, not the Marigold Room

Edited by CountMorillonite
Premature Posting
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This was such a good FM. A few things felt a little exaggerated in contrast to part one, but overall the same remarkable quality and attention to detail. Quite a few funny secrets and easter eggs thrown in. Can't wait for for part three, I hope you plan on making one.

Also I would suggest adding some of the unique assets in this mission to vanilla TDM, in case the ones I'm thinking of aren't already there (never seen them in any other mission). This includes the plague mask character, the voice recording machines with tubes, even the crumpled pieces of paper... the custom footstep and loot sounds also sound better than the default ones to be honest.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MirceaKitsune said:

This was such a good FM. A few things felt a little exaggerated in contrast to part one, but overall the same remarkable quality and attention to detail. Quite a few funny secrets and easter eggs thrown in. Can't wait for for part three, I hope you plan on making one.

Also I would suggest adding some of the unique assets in this mission to vanilla TDM, in case the ones I'm thinking of aren't already there (never seen them in any other mission). This includes the plague mask character, the voice recording machines with tubes, even the crumpled pieces of paper... the custom footstep and loot sounds also sound better than the default ones to be honest.

Thank you!

Act 3 and Act 4 are both being developed simultaneously and are definitely coming. If I had to put a number on them I would say Act 3 in it's current iteration is about 70% done and Act 4 is about 90% done. I'm unsure when I will be releasing them as at the current rate i'll have Act 4 finished before Act 3. I have been tossing around the idea of a same day release for both of them, but I think having some breathing time between the two might be good as well, it just feels a bit silly to sit on a completed mission though.

As for the assets, I agree that some of those should be put into core TDM, but ultimately that's not up to me. The very talented Epifire created the audiograph machines and the crumpled piece of paper, the custom footsteps were pulled from Kingsal's Volta missions. I agree that they all sound fantastic too. The loot sounds were created by myself. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

This is a great mission! IMO better than Act 1 and hard to pick between this and The Accountant 2! (Sequels can be better 😉). The mix between the undead and guards was cool - I got the fright of my life when I came out of the 

Spoiler

secret passage, then I couldn't get back in

and a zombie started attacking me!

Can someone help me please with the code for the 

Spoiler

safe/vault under the taverns?

I must have missed a readable (or read too fast) and it's bugging me! Thanks 😀

7 hours ago, pawpawegg said:

This is a great mission! IMO better than Act 1 and hard to pick between this and The Accountant 2! (Sequels can be better 😉). The mix between the undead and guards was cool - I got the fright of my life when I came out of the 

Reveal hidden contents

secret passage, then I couldn't get back in

and a zombie started attacking me!

Can someone help me please with the code for the 

Reveal hidden contents

safe/vault under the taverns?

I must have missed a readable (or read too fast) and it's bugging me! Thanks 😀

Thanks for playing!

As for the code:

General hint

There is a rather eccentric fellow down in the basement called Popsy, he asks you to help him out, after you do he will tell you the code.

But if you just want to know what the code is...

The code is 7 8 2

5 hours ago, Goldwell said:

Thanks for playing!

As for the code:

General hint

Reveal hidden contents

There is a rather eccentric fellow down in the basement called Popsy, he asks you to help him out, after you do he will tell you the code.

But if you just want to know what the code is...

Reveal hidden contents

The code is 7 8 2

Thanks for the hint, Goldwell! I had thought it might 

Spoiler

have something to do with Popsy, but the first time I tried nothing happened. This time nothing happened until I walked away from him 🤣

Thanks for all your hard work to make these missions, too! 😊

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

With 2.08 I can complete the FM @master with fewer loot than required.....is it normal?

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

12 minutes ago, lowenz said:

With 2.08 I can complete the FM @master with fewer loot than required.....is it normal?

Yes, that was a purposeful decision I made.

My reasoning for that is that a lot of folks complained about the high loot goal in Act 1, so for Act 2 I made it so the player could finish the mission without reaching the loot goal if they so choose. Typically I add in an "optional" tag to signify that but I wanted to see how people reacted to the system as it was.

Turns out most people just think it's a bug, so in Act 3 i'll have to change up my method by either lowering the loot goal by a large margin, or just removing it and putting more focus on other objectives.

• 4 weeks later...

It this a font glitch? It's only text barely readable. Btw, great mission Goldwell.

Also, there a 2 books which are highlighted and they have a name, but I can't open them.

There was an empty chest. But it was positioned carefully with intention for loot.

northdale2_2020-09-01_13.20.53.jpg

northdale2_2020-09-01_13.25.20.jpg

Edited by madtaffer

• 5 months later...
On 9/2/2020 at 3:09 AM, madtaffer said:

It this a font glitch? It's only text barely readable. Btw, great mission Goldwell.

Also, there a 2 books which are highlighted and they have a name, but I can't open them.

There was an empty chest. But it was positioned carefully with intention for loot.

northdale2_2020-09-01_13.20.53.jpg

northdale2_2020-09-01_13.25.20.jpg

That was a bug in 2.08 which is fixed in 2.09.

https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=5294

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 7:15 PM, Labeeb said:

Having a lot of fun with this gorgeous mission. But I'm having trouble finding 

Hide contents

two keys:

• for the one locked room on the top floor of the inn
  • for the secure records room

Can someone give me some pointers? Thanks.

Spoiler

1) for the one locked room on the top floor of the inn

- You'll find that inside the secure records room archive

2) for the secure records room

- Inside the citywatch station, if you head downstairs there are a couple of rooms of the Lt. and it's on one of the desks down there. I think Lt. Randal's desk has it if memory serves me correctly!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I made an account because I want @Goldwell to know how much I enjoyed the first 2 acts of the series. Everything from the presentation, level design and gags are top notch and I loved every moment of these missions. I am very much looking forward to Act 3! Hopefully it's coming soon! I'll be downloading your older missions as well. Keep up the excellent work!

• Like 3