The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Shadows of Northdale ACT II - Down The Rabbit Hole by Goldwell (2019/03/20)

Goldwell

• 6 months later...

Another amazing mission. I don't know how you do it.

The mage tower, the docks, the numerous shops, the Keeper tunnel, all your locations are cool and feel like part of a city. Popsy, LOL. OK, so the Watch archives were a bit too huge to be really believable but that didn't matter.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the mystery is resolved.

Finished with a stealth score of 15, having knocked out only two guards: the one in the wine shop, because I can't get around him, and the guy urinating on the peasant because I found him irksome. I got $4,116 and only 2/6 secrets.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

7 hours ago, thebigh said:

Another amazing mission. I don't know how you do it.

The mage tower, the docks, the numerous shops, the Keeper tunnel, all your locations are cool and feel like part of a city. Popsy, LOL. OK, so the Watch archives were a bit too huge to be really believable but that didn't matter.

Finished with a stealth score of 15, having knocked out only two guards: the one in the wine shop, because I can't get around him, and the guy urinating on the peasant because I found him irksome. I got $4,116 and only 2/6 secrets.

Thank you for the kind words!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the mystery is resolved.

I am hopeful that the wait won't be too long :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Goldwell, been playing old missions again now with better hardware/effects and I have to say, this is a really solid mission! I managed to barely get over 4100 for the difficult skill loot requirement, but it turns out it was optional anyway so no matter. Got three of the 6 secrets so that was cool. Seems like the next act(s) were supposed to come out a bit sooner, but art can't be rushed and recent events probably put a bit of a strain too!

I have one question though. Something hidden in the mission, but no one seems to have mentioned it yet (maybe nobody noticed)?

Spoiler

In one of the shops in the docks, in an attic there is a hidden compartment where I found a child's doll named "Mistdrip". Corbin didn't say anything when he picked it up and there were no additional mission objectives either, so it's a complete mystery as to its significance. Ended the mission with it still in my inventory.

• Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

1 minute ago, Xolvix said:

Hey @Goldwell, been playing old missions again now with better hardware/effects and I have to say, this is a really solid mission! I managed to barely get over 4100 for the difficult skill loot requirement, but it turns out it was optional anyway so no matter. Got three of the 6 secrets so that was cool. Seems like the next act(s) were supposed to come out a bit sooner, but art can't be rushed and recent events probably put a bit of a strain too!

I have one question though. Something hidden in the mission, but no one seems to have mentioned it yet (maybe nobody noticed)?

Hide contents

In one of the shops in the docks, in an attic there is a hidden compartment where I found a child's doll named "Mistdrip". Corbin didn't say anything when he picked it up and there were no additional mission objectives either, so it's a complete mystery as to its significance. Ended the mission with it still in my inventory.

Hey Xolvix!

Yes there has been a long wait between act 2 and 3, longer than I would have preferred. But between personal events that have popped up and taken my time away from mapping and also big world issues, it has just extended that time even further. Work is being made though, in fact I actually just took a break from working on Act 3 to check the forums and saw your message. The wait should be over soon :)

Re: your spoiler question

Spoiler

Mistdrip is a play-on-words reference to Dewdrop from the OG thief games. There is a little unwritten game that some Thief FM authors do which is putting dewdrop in their level somewhere and you have to find her, I decided to do the same thing but with Mistdrip (as we're not allowed to use official thief names). It doesn't really serve any purpose other than being a little easter egg.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Goldwell said:

Re: your spoiler question

Hide contents

Mistdrip is a play-on-words reference to Dewdrop from the OG thief games. There is a little unwritten game that some Thief FM authors do which is putting dewdrop in their level somewhere and you have to find her, I decided to do the same thing but with Mistdrip (as we're not allowed to use official thief names). It doesn't really serve any purpose other than being a little easter egg.

Aha, OK then. I've already embarrassed myself once for admitted I've never properly played the original Thief games (before 3 anyway) so I would have never gotten the reference.

Maybe let's not say anything about the doll marked "Dewdrop" in Alberic's Curse (although the description says it's a homage so maybe that covers it enough...?) :)

• Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

• 5 months later...
On 9/4/2022 at 5:57 AM, bobber1 said:

Enjoyed playing both chapters very much.  Any news on when Act 3 will be released? Thanks!

Thanks for playing!

It's hard to say when Act 3 will be released. The majority of the mission is done, except for two buildings that need an interior, one being decently sized. The briefing video, readables, patrol routes, voice acting and objectives are all finished, in game, polished and ready to go. It's just a matter of finding the time to get that last little bit done.

Progress is happening, slowly but surely :)

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
On 9/8/2023 at 4:49 AM, Mr. Ragbag said:

Is shadows of northdale act 3 still a wip or is it on hold for now?  Either way I have really enjoyed your fan missions, so thanks and can't wait until act three gets done.

Act 3 is currently in alpha testing with a closed group :)

• Like 3