The Dark Mod Forums

Uploading official promo screenshots of FMs to the wiki ?

Petike the Taffer

I didn't want to start a whole new topic on this, but I wasn't able to find anything...

A simple question: Would it be okay to upload the official, promotional screenshots from approved and published FMs to the TDM wiki ?

I plan to eventually write individual wiki articles on the individual FMs, and having those screenshots as basic visual material to represent the mission could be nice.

I'd like to know if there'd be potential issues with bandwidth over the uploading of the images, or issues with an author's permission to use the screenshots (similar to the permissions necessary for FM translations).

Thank you for shedding light into this topic.

its a great idea.

you dont have to upload those screenshots, just yet.

Link the pictures from the fm list from the website to you wiki articles.

I'll have to figure out how to link to images directly on MediaWiki. Not sure it's possible without an upload, and a series of dry, boring links won't capture anyone's attention.

Tried to add some external images, instead of uploading.

But it doesnt work yet.

We need to ask a wiki admin to enable the option to add external images, using $wgAllowExternalImages.

But i dont know who you can ask. Maybe springheel?

But are the details in de missionlist on the tdm website not enough?

Manage them on a wiki is easier and quicker.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Manage them on a wiki is easier and quicker.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Requiem_(FM)

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_House_of_Locked_Secrets_(FM)

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Shadows_of_Northdale_Act_I_(FM)

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Shadows_of_Northdale_Act_II_(FM)

I've taken the liberty to make four articles on four individual FMs, and these articles currently serve as proof of concept on how I'd like to develop these articles, with what particular format and structure. This includes the promotional screenshot galleries and video links (aside from trailers, I also plan adding video links to walkthroughs). One neat feature that I've tested is the spoiler tag in two sections, allowing players to still seek out information, or keep themselves in the dark and open to surprises.

@freyk and everyone else: Tell me what you think of the current structural concept for the articles. I'll appreciate any and all constructive feedback.

Great idea! I really like the template, especially the sub sections of Loot List and Walkthrough. I think that would be really handy, but also a ton of work to implement. The wiki format is really the easiest way to navigate through our ever growing catalogue of fan missions.

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

Great idea! I really like the template, especially the sub sections of Loot List and Walkthrough. I think that would be really handy, but also a ton of work to implement. The wiki format is really the easiest way to navigate through our ever growing catalogue of fan missions.

Not really a ton of work. Lootlists can be completed at anyone's leisure, if they're willing to contribute such overviews. We can hide lootlists behind the spoiler function I've started to implement (though I still plan to improve it). As for playthroughs, for the time being, I am mostly just linking to the latest playthrough videos, or latest external articles with text-based playthrough descriptions. That's pretty much all I've planned for those sections, so far.

I originally had a "Notes" section, and this was meant to be used for bugs. Should we have such a warning section ? It's not meant to replace reports to the Bugtracker, it's only meant to warn players of a long-term glitch or bug that in an FM that hasn't been resolved yet. Good idea or pointless ?

I've done a few more articles: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Category:Official_FMs

The ones for Somewhere Above the City and Awaiting the Storm also include lootlists, and most articles include playthrough and walkthrough links.

I noticed you're making a newbie mistake with screenshots: you're not adjusting the levels or gamma setting, post-capture. TDM captures screenshots with gamma of 1.0. Either raise the gamma to 1.2 in something like IrfanView, or use Levels in Gimp to raise the blacks Output level a bit (8-16 should do). Otherwise screenshots will look awfully dark on most of today's monitors.

I noticed you're making a newbie mistake with screenshots: you're not adjusting the levels or gamma setting, post-capture. TDM captures screenshots with gamma of 1.0. Either raise the gamma to 1.2 in something like IrfanView, or use Levels in Gimp to raise the blacks Output level a bit (8-16 should do). Otherwise screenshots will look awfully dark on most of today's monitors.

Those are not my screenshots, they're all from the official mission list. :) So you need to adress that complaint to the devs.

Some of those screenshots are probably quite old, and might look less professional than newer ones.

It takes like 3 seconds to fix it, so you could do that while you're at it.

Which ones should I fix ?

I really like the format, I might be able to start by adding my own missions here and potentially adding others later on. Everyone has access to modify and add pages right?

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

• 2 weeks later...

If it's any consolation to Judith, I've raised contrast levels and slightly lowered overly high light levels on some of the older (and apparently more hastily done) promotional screenshots. Some even had visible windowed mode at the top, so i cropped them a tiny bit. If we need to revisit some of the screenshot galleries in the future, improve the individual screenshots and upload the tweaked version, we can do that. Wikis are not set in stone, they thrive on updates.

• Like 1

I just checked. Seems you do need special permission to edit/add to the wiki... I thought maybe my forum login would allow me access to the login page on the wiki too, but appears not. I'm guessing the same people who moderate the forums have the ability to grant access to the wiki as well?

My Fan Missions:

I just checked. Seems you do need special permission to edit/add to the wiki... I thought maybe my forum login would allow me access to the login page on the wiki too, but appears not. I'm guessing the same people who moderate the forums have the ability to grant access to the wiki as well?

Ask Springheel, he'll help with it.

An update: 80 missions covered so far, in detail. Not that much more to go. B):smile:

I have completed the wiki documentation for the individual missions.

Going through the list, it seems I've covered everything made to date and approved as official content.

Each article includes the relevant images and video links, but I've had issues with finding any promotional screenshots from the three official missions of the base pack (training, A New Job, The Tears of St. Lucia). I'd appreciate if someone could point me to those, at least I'd feel the work is really complete.

• Like 1

Great work!

I never got any rights to the wiki unfortunately. I noticed you added The Night of Reluctant Benefaction, but not CoS1: Pearls and Swine. (all my missions have EFX reverb btw).

I was thinking I could send you a message with the Lootlist and Trivia sections instead of worrying about editing rights maybe... What kind of things would you consider trivia?

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Great work!

I never got any rights to the wiki unfortunately. I noticed you added The Night of Reluctant Benefaction, but not CoS1: Pearls and Swine. (all my missions have EFX reverb btw).

I was thinking I could send you a message with the Lootlist and Trivia sections instead of worrying about editing rights maybe... What kind of things would you consider trivia?

I missed one FM after all ! :) Thank you for reminding me of that and feel free to send over a lootlist for your own FM.

Trivia should be mainly behind the scenes stuff. As for the wiki account, just PM Springheel and he'll prepare it.

Since P&S is your own FM, I'd like to ask whether Chronicles of Skullduggery will become a series ? Thanks.

Edited by Petike the Taffer

I missed one FM after all ! :) Thank you for reminding me of that and feel free to send over a lootlist for your own FM.

Trivia should be mainly behind the scenes stuff. As for the wiki account, just PM Springheel and he'll prepare it.

Since P&S is your own FM, I'd like to ask whether Chronicles of Skullduggery will become a series ? Thanks.

I've created an excel lootlist in google docs, I'll see if I can share it directly with you in a PM. I'll try and do one for The Night of Reluctant Benefaction tomorrow evening.

Ok, behind the scenes, so not trivia like crossover/homages to other missions etc? cause I do a lot of that :ph34r:

Yes Chronicles of Skulduggery is definitely going to be a series, most likely a trilogy. The second installment is a hair's breadth away from beta! (I'll make sure to have a loot list for that one ready as well!)

You could add that the protagonist's name is Elyas Thorne, it doesn't actually appear in P&S, but will in part 2, and the antagonists "The Brotherhood of the Raven" are hinted at in P&S but will show up more in part 2.

Edited by Bienie
  • Like 1

My Fan Missions:

• 2 weeks later...

Better still, here's a link to my trailer for Briarwood Manor. Feel free to take any screen shots n post them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZnSuLVatYM

Edited by NeonsStyle
  • Thanks 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/