The Dark Mod Forums

Flickering menu and no ingame lights

n3ux

Hello!

I just upgraded my 2.06 Darkmod to 2.07 and have experianced following issues.
Bottom half of the main menu flickers when moving mouse.
When playing Tears of st. Lucia most of the lights are not lighting up anything.
You can see the model for the light is lit but no light is emmited.

I just returned to Darkmod and am unable to play at this point.
Couldn't find any similar post, checked FAQ.

I uninstalled the game and installed it again fro scratch, as well as removing anything from %appdata% and the problem remains.

Please help!
Thanks,
Neux

Get the latest Hotfix:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19935-beta-testing-207-hotfix/

Some driver \ OS configurations don't work with 2.07.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Solved the ingame light issue. Thanks a lot!

The menu is still flickering however, but I don't care for that.

Also, why am I not able to alt tab out of the game?

That is because TDM runs on full exclusive fullscreen, that improves game performance (by not rendering background apps) and mouse input time slightly. In Windows 10, Microsoft pretty much runs all games on a fake fullscreen, is really just borderless window mode, that has the benefit that alt tabbing of a game is very easy, it also makes it so third party companies and also Microsoft, can make overlay tools work over a game, for Microsoft that means the game mode bar overlay (win+G).

To make TDM run in borderless window mode you just make it run in window mode and use a tool like "Borderless Gaming" to hide the window borders, this of course until TDM developers make the engine support that option.

P.S - Some games do support alt-tab even in full exclusive fullscreen but is hard to make it 100% safe and can make the game crash or even the OS.

To see if a windows 10 game is running in exclusive fullscreen or the fake fullscreen, just try to open the windows game bar or use the volume keys on your keyboard, if the game bar or volume overlay show, the game is running in the fake fullscreen, if not, is running in exclusive fullscreen.

To force exclusive fullscreen (doesn't work 100% like exclusive fullscreen of older OS's) on windows 10 you right click on the game exec, go to properties -> compatibility tab -> select deactivate fullscreen optimizations or something like that (my OS is not in english).

Sorry for the wall of text I like to explain stuff in detail... :P

Edited by HMart

Does that enable borderless window mode? It makes alt tab work very well but I still can't see overlays show over the TDM view? (unless those only work over D3D games and I never noticed it, very possible...)

I honestly don't know the difference between "borderless" and "fullscreen". Sounds like internal graphics driver mumbo jumbo to me.

Try r_fullscreen 2

I'm pretty sure this didn't make it into 2.07 Hotfix. I believe that's still SVN only.

I can alt-tab out of TDM regardless of whether I set this to 1 or 2... as long as there is another open App to alt-tab to.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I honestly don't know the difference between "borderless" and "fullscreen". Sounds like internal graphics driver mumbo jumbo to me.

Me neither to tell you the truth but here is a reply from Unity team to a developer it could give some light to you.

https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001276723-Fullscreen-options-Exclusive-Mode-vs-Fullscreen-Window-Borderless-

I'm pretty sure this didn't make it into 2.07 Hotfix. I believe that's still SVN only.

I can alt-tab out of TDM regardless of whether I set this to 1 or 2... as long as there is another open App to alt-tab to.

That explains why I can't see the overlays. But I add a brain fart, I can also alt-tab with fullscreen 1, never add the need to do it, so, I just didn't try it, I assumed the op inability to do so was general, sorry for that.

Edited by HMart

Me neither to tell you the truth but here is a reply from Unity team to a developer it could give some light to you.

https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001276723-Fullscreen-options-Exclusive-Mode-vs-Fullscreen-Window-Borderless-

Please note that:

1) Exclusive mode is an explicit thing in DirectX, which programmer can enable. But TDM uses OpenGL, and it has no explicit support for exclusive mode: it is all up to OS and GL implementation.

2) Judging from experiments and some info over the internet, it is quite hard to draw a line between Exclusive Fullscreen and Borderless Window in TDM.

As far as I know, TDM 2.07 is capable of alt-tabbing AND runs in some sort of exclusive mode (for my Win10+GeForce at least).

n3ux, perhaps you could try to record a video with flickering problem?

There are some instructions in the article with bug-reporting recommendations.