• 0-20
    • 21-30
    • 31-40
    • 41-50
    • 51-60
    • 61-70
    • 71-80
    • 81-100+

I think that playing video games is a good method to maintain mental alertness in older people, apart from having enough time to do it at retirement age, especially now in times of pandemic with more time at home.

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

On 3/31/2019 at 9:46 PM, OrbWeaver said:

No under-20s play TDM? What are we going to do about this outrageous ageism? I suggest mandatory player quotas and annual reporting to the government on the Dark Mod Age Gap.

Strange isn't it? From childhood, we have been told that the universe is endless. It was said that there are millions of worlds out there... and that none of them can be reached. They said that they were thousands of lightyears away from us... Baaah.

What if this is not the hole truth? What if, we live in a multiverse - where a thin membrane separates worlds from each other? And this membrane is not as strong as it seems.

Seven worlds, seven variations of Earth, were instantly merged. Those few who survived, called this cataclysm: THE SHIFT. 

And then, you came... the herold. You only carry the core, which has the power to resolve the current stalemate. I do not know how many time i have repeated these words, every time, one you fails, i have to start the story again.

The Core does not allow the herold to die definitely. But each time, you have to learn this world anew. One day, one of you will succeed - and then, everything will end. I know you do not have time to understand the details, but do now get this conserted with those outside.

THEY SIMPLY... DO NOT UNDERSTAND!

hehe not to unheard of these days with us oldies still playing, our tank in my old warcraft guild was 83 😉 and he was considered one of the best around.

but to give the younger generation some perspective my first "gaming" computer was a spectrum zx80 from the 80's which by todays standard had only a little more power than your basic calculator :D, i learned coding in basic because back then you pretty much had to write your own games or read them in painstakingly slow from some book which took the better part of 14 days for the simpler ones and up to a year for the good stuff. And if you made an error you could start all over again because it was near impossible to detect typos or other bugs (no debugger at all).

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, revelator said:

hehe not to unheard of these days with us oldies still playing, our tank in my old warcraft guild was 83 😉 and he was considered one of the best around.

but to give the younger generation some perspective my first "gaming" computer was a spectrum zx80 from the 80's which by todays standard had only a little more power than your basic calculator :D, i learned coding in basic because back then you pretty much had to write your own games or read them in painstakingly slow from some book which took the better part of 14 days for the simpler ones and up to a year for the good stuff. And if you made an error you could start all over again because it was near impossible to detect typos or other bugs (no debugger at all).

My first gaming was a box with the pong game, to plug it into the TV antenna connection

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

I'm 38, don't feel like it though (feel much younger, but who doesn't I guess). First computer we had was a Commodore 64, then later an Amiga 1000 and then 2000. The Amigas made quite the impression on me in my formative years, but unfortunately it didn't last forever and we finally moved to the PC era in I think 1994-95.

• Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum mine was grey though ;)

on the wiki site you can see some of the games you could buy or code yourself.

the spectrum pong game https://www.oko-7.top/ProductDetail.aspx?iid=126490297&pr=23.99

just your avarage basic ping pong game in total lack of color ;) my sister and me had a great time beating each other though.

you can even still buy it lol.

5 hours ago, revelator said:

the spectrum or amstrad came with that so :)

The one I had was before the Spectrum, it was a simple box with nothing more than the connections for the controls and for the antenna and with no other possibilities than to play Pong.

It was Sci-Fi with WOW effect back then

might have been the sinclair then :) the spectrum and amstrad models were based on that one. Had one myself but i got it from a dumpster xD some years after i got my hands on an amiga. That one did indeed only play pong though you could write your own small games with it but it was hell to do.

many small computing units back then so hard to know the exact make :) sadly most died out or got bought up by bigger companies.

the commodore could have had a great legacy if the ceo's had not been total asshats riding it into the ground.

Same with 3dfx (i wonder sometimes if to much success brings out the idiots inherent in all of us).

Yes, many have gone under. One of my first PCs was from the German company Schneider, which unfortunately has also disappeared, they made very good computers until the beginning of 2000, but they could not resist against the existing competition. Currently they are dedicated only to electronic components for the industry.
The EC has been quite relegated in this area, which is a pity.

https://www.se.com/ww/en/all-products

Edited by Zerg Rush

This was the PC I had

wYvJJw8.png

Apparently Schneider continued to manufacture PCs, although only at the level of the EC and Eastern countries.

Like this low cost PC, all in one (299€)

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07FCCXGNJ?tag=embajada-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1 (a better Smart TV, I think)

Edited by Zerg Rush

ah that one was actually more powerful than the spectrum :) see here ->https://oldcomputer.info/pc/euroPC2/index.htm

the hercules gfx card was one of the better ones and supported color via cga it even had a built in hd at 20mb, mine had to load from a casette or as i modified it later on an old 8 track band station ;)  so i had a massive data flow but it was slow as molasses to load.

I later got this little marvel developed in denmark https://rc700.dk/ but i newer quite got the hang of comal80 so i ditched it not long after.

No, the EuroPC I had, only boots from Floppy, it hasn't a HD and the Hercules graphics are monochrome Ambar, not very powerfull. It cames with MS DOS and the MS Works Suite. A very nice office suite by the way.

PD. MS Works is abandonware and you can download it for free all versións until the last versión of 2007. It is not as complete as MS Office or Libre Office, but more than enough for a private use and very easy to use, the Database is a delight of easy use.

https://winworldpc.com/product/microsoft-works/45

Edited by Zerg Rush

odd the specs for that model say it does have a harddisk 🤔 albeit a small one and that it supported cga gfx, did they also sell a dumped down version of the euro PC II ?.

Been using works for years :) still runs fine on win10 atleast the last version does if you run it as admin. there actually is a later version also but it was newer released publicly and came as an oem version with some pc's version 10.

I had the first version of the EuroPC, I only had the BIOS. I needed a floppy from MS DOS to boot. To have an HD I had to put an external one. Much has changed since then, of course. Nowadays, it is practically not necessary to have any software (TDM apart 😆), apart from the OS and a browser.

ah that explains a lot :) yeah people today would probably smash there computers if they had to jump through as many hoops as we did back then hehe 😆 setting up drivers manually and using memory compression tools to get the last ounce out of the insanely low system memory we had back then. Hell i could run 98 on a 386 with hacks that would make your hair stand rofl.